The C4 don't get any respect

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 AM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Mods can we make this a sticky? post of the year

Ill say straight up I bought a C4 cause it was cheaper than a Camaro;was neck deep in restoring an old A body and was bored just wanted to be passified for a minute. Which led to a ZR-1...had to make a choice. I love old stuff thats noisy, keeps you awake and is plain fun.
Knew it was slow didnt care, just something to knock around in without spending a lot. I dont know why "getting respect" is required when one buys a car. Are people supposed to hit thier brakes and "Back off Sam" like those mudflaps?

Its just a car go enjoy it.
Pretty much. I didn't buy a C4 expecting everyone to like it. As long as I like it, **** every body else

Simple as that.
The following 2 users liked this post by CVG323:
1993C4LT1 (06-13-2018), jgalfo (06-22-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:32 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
No, not in the least but bitter. Are you? I asked a valid question. Wondering why he chose a fricken c4 over a c5 OR c6! Very valid and nothing bitter about it. Id take a c6 without hesitation.. its by far a better controlled, more powerful car and that is not debatable. So I think its a good question.. if he likes the c4 "better" Id love to know why.
When I went looking for my next Vette I was stuck between getting a C5Z or base C6(Z out of price range). I was less than impressed with everything about the C6. I didn't feel like I was connected with the car or the road for that matter. With all the bells and whistles I honestly felt lost to an extent. It was almost as if the driving experience was removed(I test drove a manual). It felt bulky, unresponsive, and too computer controlled(if that makes sense). The C6 was missing something and I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

Test drove a C5Z and immediately it felt raw. I felt connected to the car and road for that matter. Ripping gears brought a smile to my face much more so than the C6 had. Then I hit some curves and the Z hugged them tight as a babys diaper.

Needless to say I opted for the C5 over the C6 so when someone says they bought a C4 over a C5/6 because they like the C4 better I find some truth to it. Newer Vettes aren't everyone's cup of tea and that's fine by me. A Vette is still a Vette no matter which generation you own.

Last edited by Not4spd; 06-13-2018 at 02:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DaleDawg (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
What are you getting at here? I can say that. I owned a C6 for 3-1/2 years....drove it off the dealer's floor. 3 years later, I bought the '92 that I have now, to fix (I didn't run), sell and make a buck. I fixed it, drove it once, and pretty much, didn't drive the C6 again. The C6 mostly sat in my garage for 4 months while I continued to try to love it. The problem was, every time I went out to the garage to drive one of them....what I REALLY wanted to do was drive the '92, so I did. I finally gave up on the C6 and sold it. I don't miss it at all.

I won't tell you that it's b/c the C4 performs better all around; we all know that it doesn't; my C6 would lap Miller 15 seconds faster than my C4, and run the 1/4 mile 1 second/10 mph faster (although my C4 kills the C6 at autox). There were a TON of reasons why I didn't get along with the C6 and why I love the C4, but here is the biggest reason, by far. Ready? The C4 is honest with you. It provides and honest, straightforward experience, and that makes it FUN. It wasn't about money.

Thanks brother.. interesting explanation.. sorry I worded my question as I did.. Im really good at not wording things right on the interwebs. this is what I was interested in knowing from you.. I was actually somewhat hopeful youd respond this way.

I need to go drive a c5 so I know what some of you are talking about. I care too much about how my car looks (to me) to own one of those fat azz cars but Id like to see what GM did in its next step. Im surprised to hear they did not make forward movement on driver feel. gm executives really like to f@ck things up.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:06 AM
GTO's ascot
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What I've gathered from the conversation is this: A C4 is more analog than the later cars, and provides a level of feedback that is unequaled by later models.

This solidifies my resolve to find a C4.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Great thread. Like the OP, I dreamed of this car when i was 13.

Whats sad is other gen corvette owners have made me hate corvette (except c4). If there is so much hate in my own community for the c4, then i simply cannot ‘like’ any of the newer models either. Ill go buy a new camaro or mustang.

you will never see a mustang enthusiast community dog a 5.0 mustang like you see corvette forum dog the c4:

Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm somewhat different in how I arrived at the decision to buy my C4 (95 ZR-1) back in 2008. I had been into C2s for nearly 30 years at that point. I still have my 67 435HP coupe. It seemed to me at the time that the Corvette hobby split between those interested in the older cars (C1/2/3) and those looking for more modern performance (C4/5/6). Instead of many here looking for something older and more raw - to me, the ZR-1 was a newer Corvette ownership experience as opposed to a 60s vehicle. I could easily have purchased a C5Z or C6Z but got hooked on the virtues of the LT5 so C4 it was.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Great thread. Like the OP, I dreamed of this car when i was 13.

Whats sad is other gen corvette owners have made me hate corvette (except c4). If there is so much hate in my own community for the c4, then i simply cannot ‘like’ any of the newer models either. Ill go buy a new camaro or mustang.

you will never see a mustang enthusiast community dog a 5.0 mustang like you see corvette forum dog the c4:

Same with the Miata folks. I'm back in my '94 while Lucy is in the garage for leaving me stranded again. First Miata I saw gave me the Miata wave (pop-up headlights). I understand that the massive failure rate of the C4 pop-up headlights precludes using them for frivolous activities like waving, but less than one in ten vette owners even wave their hand.

Pretty big snob factor in the vette community.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO's ascot
What I've gathered from the conversation is this: A C4 is more analog than the later cars, and provides a level of feedback that is unequaled by later models.

I think you should consider what you paid for the information in this thread before basing it on any purchasing decision.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Same with the Miata folks. I'm back in my '94 while Lucy is in the garage for leaving me stranded again. First Miata I saw gave me the Miata wave (pop-up headlights). I understand that the massive failure rate of the C4 pop-up headlights precludes using them for frivolous activities like waving, but less than one in ten vette owners even wave their hand.

Pretty big snob factor in the vette community.
I don't know if it is a snob factor. It took me years before I accidently discovered that there was a wave. Some might not even have heard of it nor does everyone want to participate in the "Corvette Lifestyle". The old timers might be more ingrained to do it but the newer groups might not be as informed of it nor might they even want to be part of this lifestyle. Can't blame them. It's not like you have to agree to be part of the lifestyle if you buy a Corvette of any year.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't know if it is a snob factor. It took me years before I accidently discovered that there was a wave. Some might not even have heard of it nor does everyone want to participate in the "Corvette Lifestyle". The old timers might be more ingrained to do it but the newer groups might not be as informed of it nor might they even want to be part of this lifestyle. Can't blame them. It's not like you have to agree to be part of the lifestyle if you buy a Corvette of any year.
It's a spontaneous thing with so many specialty vehicles. When I drove a CJ7 other Jeep owners never failed to wave. Same with my motorcycles - even between cruisers and crotch rockets!

You'd have known about the wave on day one if not for all the Corvette Snobs.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:28 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
It's a spontaneous thing with so many specialty vehicles. When I drove a CJ7 other Jeep owners never failed to wave. Same with my motorcycles - even between cruisers and crotch rockets!

You'd have known about the wave on day one if not for all the Corvette Snobs.
IDK. When you buy something, do you consider the lifestyle before buying? I went to motorcycle school and driving school but never was told about it. I just discovered it along the way. Some people just want to drive or ride and not be involved in the group thing. Some do. Nothing wrong either way. Then there are the snobs that drive a C6 and will only wave to another C6 or C7, etc and not to the other lower models.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:39 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
Pretty much. I didn't buy a C4 expecting everyone to like it. As long as I like it, **** every body else

Simple as that.
This ^^^^^

Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

Ford got in the game early with the mustang II abortion. Still don't understand what they were trying to do there... the reason the fox body is loved is because anything was better than that.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by CVG323

Simple as that.

Originally Posted by confab
This ^^^^^

X10 LOL

Last edited by FASTAZU; 06-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Having a c4 since new and having a c3 also i would not sell either for both are so diffrent in performance and handling! The C4 is superior in many ways but a pain to work on. The other item is getting in and out of the c4 it is tough,as far as comfort the c4 is as nice as my lexus. The value in these c4 are great if you can find one today. A couple of years back they were all over the map and cheap,not so much today.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Vaporboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Having a c4 since new and having a c3 also i would not sell either for both are so diffrent in performance and handling! The C4 is superior in many ways but a pain to work on. The other item is getting in and out of the c4 it is tough,as far as comfort the c4 is as nice as my lexus. The value in these c4 are great if you can find one today. A couple of years back they were all over the map and cheap,not so much today.
I always try to wave my hand (if I catch the oncoming in time) I am having a problem with an oncoming C7 -it doesn't register as a Vette until its gone past me, not so with the 6s, 5s, I have a 4 of course, 3's and occasional very rare 2s. I think the styling went too far IMHO, plus I really dislike the Camaro like taillights
Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Thanks brother.. interesting explanation.. sorry I worded my question as I did.. Im really good at not wording things right on the interwebs. this is what I was interested in knowing from you.. I was actually somewhat hopeful youd respond this way.

I need to go drive a c5 so I know what some of you are talking about. I care too much about how my car looks (to me) to own one of those fat azz cars but Id like to see what GM did in its next step. Im surprised to hear they did not make forward movement on driver feel. gm executives really like to f@ck things up.
Yea, but they can really handle a pace car.

Get notified of new replies

To The C4 don't get any respect

Old 06-13-2018, 02:57 PM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,294 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vaporboy
I always try to wave my hand (if I catch the oncoming in time)

A couple years ago I was on the NCRS Road Tour in a group of 7 cars, I was the fourth car back. We were on the Interstate probably in Texas. Traveling the opposite direction, was a BLACK C5, with BLACK (not tinted) windows. Sticking out of the partially-lowered window, straight up, was the BLACKEST, BIGGEST arm I'd ever seen pumping an enthusiastic thumbs-up. He obviously had to get his window down for his "wave" to be seen, and by the time he got to me, he was able to do so.

I still remember the "wave", and appreciate the effort the C5 driver made to acknowledge other Corvette owners that were out enjoying their cars like he was.

Yes, I returned the wave.

Last edited by IHBD; 06-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO's ascot

I would agree with that...but you REALLY need to drive them all and see what suits YOU the best. Everyone has a different take and tons of people love their C6's.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:34 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
When any car looks like this (below) you warrant no respect. Many C4s look like clunkers and like all, the whole generation is a victim of circumstance.

For every ugly and neglected C4, there are 1,000 that look great and properly maintained.

Below are just disgusting C4 Vettes and owners. Leave painting to professionals.

I was just thinking about this post, and while we may laugh and shake our heads at some of these, that's just how it was back then. Body kits and wild paint jobs. Look at any hot rod mag from the era and this is what you'll see. While some may see tacky, I see period correct. 😂

Last edited by 64Scout; 06-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (06-13-2018)

Quick Reply: The C4 don't get any respect