C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The C4 don't get any respect

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Great thread. Like the OP, I dreamed of this car when i was 13.

Whats sad is other gen corvette owners have made me hate corvette (except c4). If there is so much hate in my own community for the c4, then i simply cannot ‘like’ any of the newer models either. Ill go buy a new camaro or mustang.

you will never see a mustang enthusiast community dog a 5.0 mustang like you see corvette forum dog the c4:

5.0 was cool as hell fir the time after '87. They looked fast, they were cheap, they were almost as fast as the corvette and could beat the camaros with the corvette engine. I was in several that did.

Nothing to complain about, look at the race tracks, 5.0's will be around for a long time. people have them to drive the **** out of them, not store them in a garage like some c4 guys.

5.0 owners do not look for respect, they know what the car is and if they don't like it they build it.

Very fun cheap little cars and great gateway in to sports cars when they were like 8-10 years old.

you will not see mustang guys ripping on them. Before the fox was what??? those are the ones getting crapped on. Cobra2 etc.

late 70's early 80's were so ugly, but again people looked passed it for the thrill and opportunity.

87+ gt had cool new colors, and were like 12k new225hp/300tq. A vette was like 22k+ 240hp/350tq. cheap parts and whoop a vette with those cheap mods.

Alternatively look at the price of mods for a c4 especially back then to get any REAL hp. MAJOR money to keep up with a built mustang.
If the materials were the same, I'd have a GT or cobra totally built.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
5.0 was cool as hell fir the time after '87. They looked fast, they were cheap, they were almost as fast as the corvette and could beat the camaros with the corvette engine. I was in several that did.

Nothing to complain about, look at the race tracks, 5.0's will be around for a long time. people have them to drive the **** out of them, not store them in a garage like some c4 guys.

5.0 owners do not look for respect, they know what the car is and if they don't like it they build it.

Very fun cheap little cars and great gateway in to sports cars when they were like 8-10 years old.

you will not see mustang guys ripping on them. Before the fox was what??? those are the ones getting crapped on. Cobra2 etc.

late 70's early 80's were so ugly, but again people looked passed it for the thrill and opportunity.

87+ gt had cool new colors, and were like 12k new225hp/300tq. A vette was like 22k+ 240hp/350tq. cheap parts and whoop a vette with those cheap mods.

Alternatively look at the price of mods for a c4 especially back then to get any REAL hp. MAJOR money to keep up with a built mustang.
If the materials were the same, I'd have a GT or cobra totally built.

Mustang guys don't look for respect. They just walk around with braces to hold their massive heads up...

I like the look of the later foxbodys but they just look so janky to me. Overall they just look like a cheap built car IMO. The 3rd gens were a better car overall.

What's your point? Any car can be made faster than another car. In the end its still a foxbody, even if it is faster than the vette in a straight line...

Go buy a fox if they are so awesome?

Was an aftermarket cam for a sbc SUPER pricey back then or something? Were sbc parts really that much more expensive than sbf parts? I could understand the TPI parts being pricey but most everything else is just normal sbc stuff when it comes to the motor.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I disagree, 5.0 owners do look for respect. Maybe it's because all the 5.0 owners are my age, and have to prove they'll beat anyone around.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I disagree, 5.0 owners do look for respect. Maybe it's because all the 5.0 owners are my age, and have to prove they'll beat anyone around.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Was an aftermarket cam for a sbc SUPER pricey back then or something? Were sbc parts really that much more expensive than sbf parts? I could understand the TPI parts being pricey but most everything else is just normal sbc stuff when it comes to the motor.
No but Fox's responded to mods way better than 'Vettes did. You looked at a Fox, and it went faster. While you could work around it, the TPI really hurt the modability of the C4 and third gens, in comparison. The 5.0 is what made me appreciate Mustangs as when I was i high school the Mustangs rep for bang for the buck was well known and respected.

And Pologreen is right, driving a Fox is a HOOT. They're fun cars.

12'S ON A STOCK ENGINE
From the article: "We're not the first group to put a stock-motored 5.0 Mustang in the 12s and we won't be the last, but that's not the point of this exercise. The project serves as a reminder of what the 5.0 craze is all about. These cars have so much potential. They're fairly quick in stock form and they respond well to minor modifications. This excellent bang-for-the-buck factor is what fuels the Fox rod movement. People like us, who can't afford a new Mustang, can still go out there, pick up a clean Fox for next to nothing, fix it up however we want, then go out and have a blast with it. The possibilities are almost endless."

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-13-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

New 5.0s or the 80s ones? I never see foxbodies anymore.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Coyote 5.0's 2011 and up. Don't get me wrong, I like them and the engines are impressive.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I never had a problem with Mustangs when I had my ‘89 IROC-Z.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

[QUOTE=PLRX;1597365929]When any car looks like this (below) you warrant no respect. Many C4s look like clunkers and like all, the whole generation is a victim of circumstance.

For every ugly and neglected C4, there are 1,000 that look great and properly maintained.

Below are just disgusting C4 Vettes and owners. Leave painting to professionals.

Wow PLRX, my first Corvette (the first one in your pictures) must have really made a great impression on you to have kept the picture, what 8 years? Yeah, so it had been bumped into and the paint was damaged - for $2K it was a steal. It ran well, drove well, and led me to the 99 C5 I bought.

OP, After I sold the C5 and bought my 91, I did a LOT of mods to it and it ran right with base model C5's. Once improved it was really a joy to drive and a great performer. If you search my name in the for sale section you'll find the post with the laundry list of mods.

Last edited by mcm95403; 06-14-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
The C4 ZR-1 was the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car.
I suggest you go do some homework on Corvette history.
I had already addressed the ZR-1. I know my Corvette history. My dad took me into a Chevy showroom to see the 1953 Corvette, and I've been a fan ever since.

Last edited by rocco16; 06-13-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It was that way back in the 80s, bought an 86 in 87.
Back when the flow 40s came out. You had to have a pair of those and a test pipe, maybe a crappy alphabet cam.

They werent bad cars, beat the hell out of mine til it hit 90k and was stolen. It was fun runnning TPI cars back then.
Radiator coulda been bigger and ate brakes like candy but otherwise I couldnt kill that thing, nothing broke on it.

Diz I dont think its just the C4 crowd, its every gen section has some elitist type guys that bash eachother for driving the same car.
Probably henpecked as hell, too.

Last edited by cv67; 06-14-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

However, that's the difference between status seekers and true car lovers part ways. True car enthusiasts appreciate the SCCA/Corvette Challenge history, and the fact that 350# of torque multiplied by the transmission and rear differential is often more than [non-ASR mode] tires can hold in first gear - especially, and it's that torque that will launch the C4 out of the hole or out of a tight corner before some higher hp cars can develop their hp via RPM. (In some events even today like autocross or those SCCA courses did in the late 80s, the C4s make their bones over and over!)
The very first time I autocrossed, I was in my 96 a4. There were five Corvettes in my class, with me being the oldest one. At the end the day, I was 0.2 second behind second place. I talked to one of the other Vette drivers who said "my car doesn't like to turn." Was it the driver, screwing up? Or was it the car itself? Couldn't have been the car since two of them were faster than me, but the c4 with a good driver is still a contender.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Yes because it was the hot kid of THAT Era. That was the time to strut your stuff. That time has passed. The torch has long left that time's hands.
I see your point...

But sometimes its important to recognize when the past was more desireable than the present.

if i could go back to the 1980s i so would....

back then when you had one of the few cool cars (even if not as good as todays standards), it was so much more special than today - where even a toyota camry is fast.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

There were a few exceptions but you might skip 80-85. The later half was when performance started to return as efi got better.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
But sometimes its important to recognize when the past was more desireable than the present.

if i could go back to the 1980s i so would....

back then when you had one of the few cool cars (even if not as good as todays standards), it was so much more special than today - where even a toyota camry is fast.
I agree there are aspects of the past that might be desirable but when you say you would go back to 1980, are you willing to take the good with the bad? Adopted father said that he'd go back if he could too. I reminded him that his son had the cancer treatment that gave him 20 more years of life back in the 70s. A few years before, it wasn't available and he'd have just died. Suddenly the old days did not seem to be a good thing.

I talked to quite a few old people who long for the Era when they were growing up. Time has passed them since. Seems like they want only certain aspects of the time period and not all of the bad things that came with it.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

What respect are we talking about? What respect can we command really when we were king 30 years ago? We had all the respect we were due then. You want respect you earn it and CONTINUE to earn it. You don't demand respect for something you WERE a long time ago 30 years ago I was top salesman in my company but today, I can't sell a glass of water to a thirsty man in the desert. History doesn't mean that my boss keeps me employed based on my glory days
Old 06-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by aklim
What respect are we talking about? What respect can we command really when we were king 30 years ago?
You can't "demand" respect for anything...but you certainly may GET respect for a 30 year old....anything.

Last Park City car club thing I went to, there was a Ferrari FF there. Totally amazing piece of machinery. 651 hp, 4 seater, w/AWD. Did I respect it? Eh. Yeah, somewhat.

Then there was a '79 Trans Am, 400/4 speed. Car was absolutely MINT inside and out. Most powerful muscle car of the late '70's @ 220hp.

*Real Poncho engine
*4 speed
*T-tops
*faux engine turned dash
*8 track player
*Silver interior w/silver "like leather" seats.
*6x9's in the rear
*"TA 6.6" on the functional shaker hood scoop. Did I respect it? HELL YEAH! That car was wicked. Thing even had 8 track cassettes in the center console.

Respect isn't just about the "lap times", 1/4 mile times or objective numbers that the car can do.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To The C4 don't get any respect

Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You can't "demand" respect for anything...but you certainly may GET respect for a 30 year old....anything.

Respect isn't just about the "lap times", 1/4 mile times or objective numbers that the car can do.
May being the key word. That said, when I trash your *** in the objective numbers, I agree with you you can certainly bring up non objective items to mitigate the lack of objective performance.

Full disclosure, I have been guilty of using non objective standards when I can't quantify why my item for sale is better than the competition in a quantifiable setting. Kinda like "She's fat, ugly and smells of BO but she has a good heart." or the BBW term.

Last edited by aklim; 06-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

O.K...so let's take this a step further;

You go to a car show, and see this car:

Right next to ^that car is vthis car, which can out perform the car in the pic above, in every objective way:

You going to tell us that one would have to "bring up non objective items to mitigate the lack of objective performance." -in order to garner "respect" for the Duesenburg? I don't think so. The Duesenburg certainly earns respect on it's own merits...objective numbers or not.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-14-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Mustang guys don't look for respect. They just walk around with braces to hold their massive heads up...

I like the look of the later foxbodys but they just look so janky to me. Overall they just look like a cheap built car IMO. The 3rd gens were a better car overall.

What's your point? Any car can be made faster than another car. In the end its still a foxbody, even if it is faster than the vette in a straight line...

Go buy a fox if they are so awesome?

Well, to have a mustang rear end done is about 250-300 even now. A C4 IF someone will touch it or knows I was last quoted 1500.

The TPI was the engine choker. there were not a lot of intakes until TPIS made the MR or Chevy IDR who copied who anymore.

Yes, it was thousands of dollars to have a shop change the intake, headers, full exhaust, cam, injector, and a tune, to make "real" HP on a TPI car. Look at what the cost for the ZR1 package (30k, or double the base car) was that gave you 140hp more in 1990.
(to put that in perspective, going carb and heads, cam, headers, full exhaust, etc back then you could gain over 150-175hp and for maybe a couple grand, maybe that much.

You can put what you want in a tpi motor, but it will only flow as good as the weakest link.

I had a c4 before this one and even in '07 boo's performance or what ever shops would "specialize" kits for these were like $5+k and up to make maybe 350hp. That is supercharger money. At that point my car was 17 years old and technology was 2-3 passed what it had, but when new it was pricey and foreign to a lot of guys, because of the computers.

You guys are forgetting that were in in 2018 and things have changed drastically since the foxbody GT I mentioned and the 87 corvette were out.

Quick Reply: The C4 don't get any respect