Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:14 PM
JETSTEEL
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
Default Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....

******!!! I went to a CEUISE IN tonight in Lexington Nc the next town over from me,and it was really cool thousands of people just cruising/parking/eating checking out everybody's rides...and I'll tell you what the corvette owners I came in contact with were/are a bunch of ****** all of them every generation I came across they act like their crap don't stink,wave at them they just look at you like your from another planet or something...compliment them on their car and they just look at you Arrogant SOB's...I just wanted/want to have some corvette friends to hangout with learn from and just have fun..I love my beautiful white 87,its my dream car,and this ain't about validation,I didn't create the other thread (THE C4 GETS NO RESPECT) because it bothers me,it was just something I noticed over a period of time,I love my vette and I'll always drive it with pride,but I'll just do it independently now I'm a loner anyway...I'm not even gonna wave either..

dont anyone on this forum take what im saying personally because we don't know each other and I'm sure a lot of you guys/gals are cool people to hangout with,I'm just going by my experiences so far since I've only been a corvette owner since March 7 of this year
Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I'll wave first sometimes, but I definitely try to wave back. The problem for me is that I try to stay pretty focused on my car and driving, not others. New corvettes are just cars to me, not so much a culture anymore.

Boating, I think it is polite to wave or tradition and even that is dying off, but if you stopped by people and they treated you a certain way it could be all kinds of reasons they did.

Yeah BTW there is a stereotype about vette owners if did not know, and stereotypes are not born out of the blue.

If you watch and read enough you'll see most people are self absorbed ******, unless they know you.

I don't like talking about my car even though it draws attention. (makes me feel awkward) I do try to be friendly respectful to people if they are to me though, even if it makes me uncomfortable. If they are dicks, they get ignored until they push personal boundaries.

Don't take it personal, enjoy your adventures and anyone you meet that positively impacts your day.

Last edited by pologreen1; 06-12-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Rover01
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Don't let it bother you. Vettes are not magical ***** remedies, but most are good folks! You'll find the same with any type A car group.

Enjoy your car and ^%#% em! Nice color BTW!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Corvette owners have developed a reputation as ******. I've never seen anything like it or encountered another group anywhere even close. Instead of focusing on these bozo's, make friends with those who own different cars and can appreciate the hard work put into ANY car.

Last edited by Mcrider; 06-12-2018 at 07:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
DaleDawg (06-14-2018), GTO's ascot (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Sorry to hear of your experience but, I wouldn't take that as the norm. Unfortunately, no matter where you go in life, you are going to run into your "cliques" from time to time....and a lot of them do drive Corvettes. I remember well breaking into the Corvette scene at 26, and remember getting that kind of brush-off. I'm 50 now, and still run into those kind of people but, honestly the Corvette life is what you make of it. I wasn't going to let some azzhats ruin a hobby I was passionate about. Stick with it and you will eventually find "Vette people" that won't hold their noses up at you.

Just a suggestion but, you might want to take a look in the forum regional area where you live for Corvette events near by, just to expand your horizons. I'm betting that with the more time you spend out there and going different places, you'll find people that you bond with. I'm not sure how long you've been in the Corvette life but, it's a rewarding one from my perspective....Stick with it, it's a great hobby.

Good luck.....
Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Corvette owners have developed a reputation as ******. I've never seen anything like it or encountered another group anywhere even close.
You my friend have never talked to anyone who owns an Audi/BMW/Jag/any high end European car owner. And they're my customers. Want to talk about stuck up, one guy came in his vette and the other guy went home to check something and came back in a Maserati... And made sure to park right next to him and well... like really made an entrance... I've seen some weird things in my years....

I know I'm generalizing but anyone who has the coin to throw around on one of those tends to become self absorbed. Not everyone though. I may have jumped the gun on that lol.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 06-12-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
You my friend have never talked to anyone who owns an Audi/BMW/Jag/any high end European car owner. And they're my customers. Want to talk about stuck up, one guy came in his vette and the other guy went home to check something and came back in a Maserati... And made sure to park right next to him and well... like really made an entrance... I've seen some weird things in my years....

Years ago when the Harley craze hit big and the "RUBBIES" (rich urban bikers} appeared, they bought up the uber high dollar custom bikes and brought their attitude with them. That didn't go over very well at all and they had to make some quick adjustments to their attitudes. Either get along or get the **** out. Some ended up becoming so ostracized they sold their bikes. It was never about how much money you made and if you tried to bring that attitude with you, then you probably drank alone.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

So.... Have you noticed the age of a majority of the Corvette owners? Maybe.... They are to old, week and feeble to raise their arm high enough to get over the window jam.

Maybe it is you?

There, I should have offended everyone by now...

Either way, Save the Wave, and "True" owners, don't care what vintage or model you have. ALL Corvettes are great!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

In my experience, everyone who doesn't know, or like you is like that. For example. I simply told a lady that she has pretty eyes, her response: I have a boyfriend.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm dead serious, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. There's two kinds of people in these hobbies - One who is in it for the lifestyle/image/etc. The other is in it for the actual hobby. The latter are always enjoyable people. The former have self esteem issues. Attitude issues. They're a mess.

I could give you some examples of the "lifestyle" types, but it might offend some people so I won't. But the point is that genuine car guys are a pretty cool lot, universally.. No matter what they drive. You see it here all the time.

Someone was blabbing on and on about how wonderful "classless societies" would be recently and I couldn't help but think that I see it with the car crowd a lot.

Uber Drivers talking to doctors and engineers, and there's no snobbery whatsoever. That's an increasingly rare thing in society today and I think a genuine fondness for automobiles is the 'glue' that permits it to happen. You talk to people like that at these meets and I think you'll find them much more enjoyable.

The following 2 users liked this post by confab:
Bajaholic (06-12-2018), pezter22 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by confab

the point is that genuine car guys are a pretty cool lot, universally.. No matter what they drive. You see it here all the time.

exactly!!!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

Hellcat owners come to mind....
​​​​​​​
Old 06-12-2018, 09:13 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajaholic

So.... Have you noticed the age of a majority of the Corvette owners? Maybe.... They are to old, week and feeble to raise their arm high enough to get over the window jam.

Maybe it is you?

There, I should have offended everyone by now...

Either way, Save the Wave, and "True" owners, don't care what vintage or model you have. ALL Corvettes are great!
Being honest I just forget. And I usually drive with my arms resting in my lap and I hit the wheel when I do remember lol.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Saw the same thing a lot, its obvious why they bought theirs.

Like the cars, the crowd not so much.
I guess if owning a Chevy makes them elite they got bigger issues.Those guys usually have to ask permission to pee when they get home.

Last edited by cv67; 06-13-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:08 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I'm going to be real with you. You drive the red headed step child of the Corvette World. Roll up to a car meet or "cruise" in a C4 and you will be snubbed. Yes, mostly by other Corvette owners that don't own a C4. It's just a fact of the car and Corvette world. You can love your C4 all you want, but in the end it will typically get little respect among the local automotive community.

With that being said car meets also have lots of clicks and breaking into an automotive social circle can be somewhat of a challenge. Keep walking around giving compliaments.

I typically find with Corvette owners it's all about the story. Start with sharp looking Corvette how long have you owned it? From there try to find some small detail about the car that stands out. It also really helps to know a little about each generation. For example, C6Z guys- hey got a question for ya. Is all the hype about the heads needing to be reworked true? Oh you had your heads redone did you have them milled? From there move to more open ended questions.
C1-C3 guys- so what do you think about the rumors and hype about the mid engine Corvette? These guys love talking about their Corvette story and most have some really cool ones.
In the middle of all that introduce yourself. Don't wear out your welcome, a couple of minutes and move along.

You will get a feel for it and it will get a bit easier as time goes on. Most of those guys probably aren't ******. Its just you aren't in their circle yet....
Old 06-13-2018, 03:17 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Bummer to hear that:

I’ve run into shop owners (Corvette “specialty” shops) that have literally scoffed and said they didn’t work on C4s because they’re uhmm “Too Old”. One of them said it in an extremely condescending tone as he literally walked away mid-conversation (present CF supporting vendor, the owner out of all things) Needless to say, now I have my C4s and an 03 Z06 that will never have their products on it.

I’ve met some local car club guys that were ok, lots of waxer kinda guys but overall good guys. I guess when you get older, type-A personalities with a little money, well that’s a recipe for Priiickism. I get plenty of wave action out here in SoCal, I wave regardless and have learned to not let it bother me if I don’t get one in return.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:59 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by JETSTEEL
(THE C4 GETS NO RESPECT)
I have noticed that.

Mine however does get some respect but the other guy usually has to get his as$ kicked in a race first.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....

Old 06-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I've owned my '66 since the summer of '88 and learned early on that hanging with the "old car" crowd at cruise nights is much more enjoyable than parking with the Corvette Only folks. I usually drive past them all and park next to an old Mustang or Challenger or Camaro or (fill in car model name) and start looking under everyone's hoods. We talk about carbs and cam specs and rear end gear ratios and the benefits of some of the latest "state of the art" mods like "electronic ignition vs. breaker points"....., as opposed to talking about different types of waxes and clear bras and Nitto Motivo tires !! To each their own I guess.. Hang out where you're most comfortable because the car hobby is supposed to be fun..
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

True story. A good friend of mine (RIP), owned a restaurant/burger joint and he opened it up to car and bike nights. It quickly became the most popular place in town for gatherings and would easily attract hundreds of cars and a thousand bikes. The overflow spilled into other parking lots and the police directed traffic. Everybody for the most part was very cool, EXCEPT for members of the local Corvette club. The owner sold food and drinks, and these ******* club members would arrive early, line up their waxers in prime spots, get out the lawn chairs and coolers and eat and drink what they brought along! They didn't even have the courtesy to support the guy's business who sponsored the events! He spoke to them about it numerous times and nothing changed, so one night he banned them from attending, had the local police working security (who he hired out of his own pocket), refuse to let them onto his property.

Needless to say they threw a ******* fit. Their reputation in town among other car clubs is about as bad as it gets. The local outlaw motorcycle clubs have a better rep than they do. I see that same attitude in here.

I saw a t shirt one day a man was wearing, and it said it all. "it used to be about the cars, now it's a ******* fashion show".
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
Michael A (06-14-2018), pezter22 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I saw a t shirt one day a man was wearing, and it said it all. "it used to be about the cars, now it's a ******* fashion show".
Yep.

I have found the biggest d*che bags (regardless of whether it is a hot new Camaro, Challenger, Vette etc) are the ones that have done nothing but sign their names on a piece of paper to get the car. They don't change the oil, do any work on the car. It was all done for them either by a custom shop or off the showroom floor.

It is a status symbol. They pull into the the cruise in, flip up their hood and expect everyone to be impressed.

The only ones that impress me are the ones that have some sweat equity, some busted knuckles, etc invested into their cars.

Last edited by drcook; 06-13-2018 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mcrider (06-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....