Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I help run and organize one of the largest car cruises in PA. I love it, but I've had to deal with plenty of these "adult children". These arrogant type's are in EVERY car club . Mustangs, Chevelle's, Porsche, Cadillac, Pontiac, you name it. They're out there! Motorcycle owners too. They can be even worse! Once they whip out their color coordinated chairs, umbrella's and coolers and all gang up sitting in large groups in front of their precious gem's blocking the sightseer's from even looking at them, they immediately get this attitude of being superior or have the idea they're the "badass" people. Sure, there are some of these type people in the Corvette world, but it's a very small amount compared to the other groups. I NEVER park next to Corvette clubs. I don't need to. I don't solicit attention, but my 85 gets plenty of positive attention on it's own, so I don't need a "Club of Idiots" there to make me feel like a "badass".
Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I like when people brag up or are proud of a stock car (old or new). lol lets keep in mind a corvette is attainable by most people, that is the point of them. If someone would brag up their stock Honda civic it would irritate people that had "sports cars". Same thing to me. It's just a car, many use them for daily drivers, and they were built for it.

Exotics is where the snobs are allowed to be IMO. They have the money to separate themselves from the poor.

Most people, Corvette= Nike. the kids with the new Nikes always laughed at the kids with the old ones, or BK's. Same story.

Last edited by pologreen1; 06-13-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I went to car show a few years ago. Lots of Stangs, supercharged putting out big numbers. When I asked them what they ran in the 1/4 mile they said they never go to the track. My old buddy used to say there is an ******* built for every seat.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I hang out with some old car guys. Mostly old rods. Nice stuff. My town is so small that no one comments on if your car is good or bad because there are so few. They just know it's me coming and wave because I have the only one around.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

As the (Eagles') song says:

I worked retail sales long enough to learn not to get emotional far as the reaction the public has to what I may be passionate about. And, that includes cars.

Different strokes for different folks. AND, some have narrower likes than others, and that's OK too.

I'm as passionate about shooting sports as well. And, in 50 years in that hobby, when it comes to rifles especially, mass produced guns seldom gets more than a "Hmmm... That's nice" from me. The exception is if there was truly some human TLC evident in the piece.

TLC is ART. I appreciate art. Wealth, on the other hand, can be fickle and sometimes comes and goes too quickly. But, ART endures.

Artists whether their "canvas" is painting, sculpting, or exquisite craftsmanship in (rifles) or (new/old) cars, is what/who I appreciate most. Their owner's accolades means way more to me than those who's only claim to fame (and their clique) is $$ and what they (and the bank) were able to write a check for.

Take $$ out of the equation, and those that (for them) worship it, and then you get down to those that appreciate art for its own sake. But, keep in mind not everyone is going to like the same things. So, "Get over it!" The only one's opinion of your passion that matters is YOU. And, if you meet up with others of like minds, well that is enriching too, but hopefully NOT why you bought your (whatever)!

"Your mileage may vary."
Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I never understood the clique/lifestyle types anyway because, who buys a car/motorcycle to be liked?

It's like high school girls and their cafeteria politics.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
[left]Bummer to hear that:

I’ve run into shop owners (Corvette “specialty” shops) that have literally scoffed and said they didn’t work on C4s because they’re uhmm “Too Old”. One of them said it in an extremely condescending tone as he literally walked away mid-conversation (present CF supporting vendor, the owner out of all things) Needless to say, now I have my C4s and an 03 Z06 that will never have their products on it.
A lot of shops have their specialties. I was refused service to change the oil in my 67 Corvette AT A CHEVROLET DEALERSHIP because the car was "too old". I even had the oil filter. Other shops I know won't service Corvette NEWER than the C3s. You just have to find your niche service supplier.

Originally Posted by drcook
Yep.

I have found the biggest d*che bags (regardless of whether it is a hot new Camaro, Challenger, Vette etc) are the ones that have done nothing but sign their names on a piece of paper to get the car. They don't change the oil, do any work on the car. It was all done for them either by a custom shop or off the showroom floor.

It is a status symbol. They pull into the the cruise in, flip up their hood and expect everyone to be impressed.

The only ones that impress me are the ones that have some sweat equity, some busted knuckles, etc invested into their cars.

When I arrive at a show or cruise in, I also often flip my hood open. People like to see the 67 435 427 or the LT5 in my 95 ZR-1. But how would you know that I spent time earlier this spring replacing my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder in my ZR-1 or that I had to re-gasket my 67 carburetors if you didn't decide to talk to me?

It is a little different in the Detroit area though. At the cars and coffee's that I attend it's not unusual to run into the guys who actually created much of the stuff that became our cars. The guy who was responsible for the 94-96 Corvette interior lives 2 doors away from me. Two chief Corvette designers live in my general neighborhood. The engineer who designed the fuel injection system for the L98 frequently comes to our Saturday cars and coffee. Same with the guy who set up the suspensions for the racing C2 Corvettes of the mid 60s. And the list goes on. Sure there are fools everywhere, but there is a greater sense of automotive involvement around where I live by many people - especially the "car" people.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Sometimes when the whole world appears to be wrong, maybe it's not the world. If I don't mesh with people around me, I just move on. To each his own. There are racers, waxers, and everything in between. There is no right or wrong. If you feel you are in the wrong crowd, find another crowd. No need to call everyone you don't get along with "******". I let my car do it's own talking at the track.

Last edited by 383vett; 06-13-2018 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
95tealconvert (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

I think JETSTEEL has a valid point. That being said, you have to give respect to get it. The C-4 is a Corvette. And as relevant as any model made. Matter of fact, I am on the hunt right now. I have experienced the same problem when I roll up on a group of C-2 guys. Don't let the negative experience bring you down. Good friends are hard to find.

Ray
Michael A (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
I think JETSTEEL has a valid point. That being said, you have to give respect to get it. The C-4 is a Corvette. And as relevant as any model made. Matter of fact, I am on the hunt right now. I have experienced the same problem when I roll up on a group of C-2 guys. Don't let the negative experience bring you down. Good friends are hard to find.

Ray
I'm a long time C2 owner who bought a C4 as a second Corvette - does this mean I need to hate myself?

Stable Mates

Last edited by bb62; 06-13-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ls777z
Hellcat owners come to mind....
​​​​​​​
Not all of us. I'm a Vette guy but needed a good 4 door domestic performance car. My Charger Hellcat fits that need.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

[QUOTE=bb62;1597398117]I'm a long time C2 owner who bought a C4 as a second Corvette - does this mean I need to hate myself?

Only if you refused to engage the OP's interest in your car.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Corvette owners in general have a reputation for being *********. This is for a reason. But obviously we are not all that way. I suspect one or two Corvette owners on their own would be nicer people. But get a bunch of them together and they think they are tough guys in a gang... "pack mentality" I guess, or maybe in a pissing contest with each other trying to be badasses. It happens often at car shows, too much testosterone and not enough humanity.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover01
Don't let it bother you. Vettes are not magical ***** remedies, but most are good folks! You'll find the same with any type A car group.

Enjoy your car and ^%#% em! Nice color BTW!

They would be ****** no matter what they drove. Hell, they'd be ****** if they were walking.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Sometimes when the whole world appears to be wrong, maybe it's not the world. If I don't mesh with people around me, I just move on. To each his own. There are racers, waxers, and everything in between. There is no right or wrong. If you feel you are in the wrong crowd, find another crowd. No need to call everyone you don't get along with "******". I let my car do it's own talking at the track.

Birds of a feather flock together!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
It is a little different in the Detroit area though. At the cars and coffee's that I attend it's not unusual to run into the guys who actually created much of the stuff that became our cars. The guy who was responsible for the 94-96 Corvette interior lives 2 doors away from me. Two chief Corvette designers live in my general neighborhood. The engineer who designed the fuel injection system for the L98 frequently comes to our Saturday cars and coffee. Same with the guy who set up the suspensions for the racing C2 Corvettes of the mid 60s. And the list goes on. Sure there are fools everywhere, but there is a greater sense of automotive involvement around where I live by many people - especially the "car" people.
I wish I lived closer to where you live! I am not doing any "internet searches" here, just an enthusiast's memory... If I said "Jeff Yachnin" for one, Jerry Palmer, John Cafaro, or Tom Peters for number two, James Walker for number three, and Gib Hufstader for number four, would I be right on any count? Or did I strike out?

To all you others on this board, with my equity in C4's, I probably could sell them and get at least one car from any generation, but C4's to me are like carrots to Bugs Bunny..."I just love em"! And of course I love all Corvettes.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 06-13-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Meanmyz
I wish I lived closer to where you live! I am not doing any "internet searches" here, just an enthusiast's memory... If I said "Jeff Yachnin" for one, Jerry Palmer, John Cafaro, or Tom Peters for number two, James Walker for number three, and Gib Hufstader for number four, would I be right on any count? Or did I strike out?

To all you others on this board, with my equity in C4's, I probably could sell them and get at least one car from any generation, but C4's to me are like carrots to Bugs Bunny..."I just love em"! And of course I love all Corvettes.
At least two of those names are correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....

Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by JETSTEEL
******!!! I went to a CEUISE IN tonight in Lexington Nc the next town over from me,and it was really cool thousands of people just cruising/parking/eating checking out everybody's rides...and I'll tell you what the corvette owners I came in contact with were/are a bunch of ****** all of them every generation I came across they act like their crap don't stink,wave at them they just look at you like your from another planet or something...compliment them on their car and they just look at you Arrogant SOB's...I just wanted/want to have some corvette friends to hangout with learn from and just have fun..I love my beautiful white 87,its my dream car,and this ain't about validation,I didn't create the other thread (THE C4 GETS NO RESPECT) because it bothers me,it was just something I noticed over a period of time,I love my vette and I'll always drive it with pride,but I'll just do it independently now I'm a loner anyway...I'm not even gonna wave either..

dont anyone on this forum take what im saying personally because we don't know each other and I'm sure a lot of you guys/gals are cool people to hangout with,I'm just going by my experiences so far since I've only been a corvette owner since March 7 of this year
You are the newbie. You want to hang in their group, you prove you belong or get lost. You wanna join the club, you gots to pay your dues.

Ask yourself this. Assuming it takes a while to get them to warm up, are they really worth it or can you go along and say "Screw them"??
Old 06-14-2018, 12:00 AM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

The more things change...

Some people can only feel good about themselves by putting others down. My first Vette was a '69 in 1973. I was surprised by how often I'd hear "Chevrolet hasn't made a CORVETTE since 1967". A year later I bought a '67. Then I'd hear "Chevrolet hasn't made a CORVETTE since 1962".

I had two '69s and the '67 when the C4s came out. Can anybody guess who were the non-waving snobs who had no interest in cars different than theirs'? There were exceptions but it noticeable.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:58 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by a striper
I had two '69s and the '67 when the C4s came out. Can anybody guess who were the non-waving snobs who had no interest in cars different than theirs'? There were exceptions but it noticeable.
Is that what we call Karma.
stabac (06-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....