Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by a striper
The more things change...

Some people can only feel good about themselves by putting others down. My first Vette was a '69 in 1973. I was surprised by how often I'd hear "Chevrolet hasn't made a CORVETTE since 1967". A year later I bought a '67. Then I'd hear "Chevrolet hasn't made a CORVETTE since 1962".

I had two '69s and the '67 when the C4s came out. Can anybody guess who were the non-waving snobs who had no interest in cars different than theirs'? There were exceptions but it noticeable.
And their friend's sister's cousine's friend's uncle's neighbor's mailman's mechanic had a waaaaaaay nicer Corvette than yours....., waaaay faster too.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Well one thing about living in New England is sports cars only have a short season so those of us who buy them we are basically sports car people, not because we have ego or issue problems below the waist line! Generally cars shows around here are really good and everyone wants to learn about everyone else's car.

Now my 2016 Chevy Colorado truck on the other hand gets crap from the full size truck owners around here...LOL!

Last edited by bac22; 06-14-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:39 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Well one thing about living in New England
Same in NE Ohio. If you drive a Corvette or any other car in the winter, it simply won't last long due to the huge amount of salt and other corrosive deicers used on the roads.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Finally decided to chime in here. I have a IIRC 10th Gen T-bird and a C4 Vette. Neither is the most desirable in some peoples eyes. At a show once someone was talking up their car: how much money it cost, all the mods done to it, etc. After their dissertation on their car finally one of the other people asked others about what they had. When my turn came up I mentioned mine, the blow hard said something somewhat derogatory about mine. I simply told him I had two for his one, I had a lot less invested in mine, I could actually drive mine without going spastic is someone got too close to them and both mine were paid for and let it go at that. I got a couple of 'well dones' out of that and I felt pretty good. Blowhard wasn't happy but that was his problem, not mine.

If someone is that hung up on their car or arrogant, they're not worth your time.

Last edited by hcbph; 06-14-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by a striper
The more things change...

Some people can only feel good about themselves by putting others down. My first Vette was a '69 in 1973. I was surprised by how often I'd hear "Chevrolet hasn't made a CORVETTE since 1967". A year later I bought a '67. Then I'd hear "Chevrolet hasn't made a CORVETTE since 1962".

I had two '69s and the '67 when the C4s came out. Can anybody guess who were the non-waving snobs who had no interest in cars different than theirs'? There were exceptions but it noticeable.
People. It's just a wave and what someone thinks is the right car. Go read the fable of "The old man the boy and the donkey". If you can put anything towards my wallet or help fixing the car, your word doesn't mean squat. Whether you approve of my choice does not mean anything unless you are enriching me in some quantifiable way.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:08 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
I'm a long time C2 owner who bought a C4 as a second Corvette - does this mean I need to hate myself?

Stable Mates
Incredible.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Well one thing about living in New England is sports cars only have a short season so those of us who buy them we are basically sports car people, not because we have ego or issue problems below the waist line! Generally cars shows around here are really good and everyone wants to learn about everyone else's car.

Now my 2016 Chevy Colorado truck on the other hand gets crap from the full size truck owners around here...LOL!
I saw my first funny car match race when I was a kid up in Epping (early/mid-1970s)..... Jungle Jim (Lieberman) vs. The USA1 Camaro (Bruce Larson)....., also loved wathcing Jungle Pam just walking around, but I digress....
Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:

“Please all, and you will please none.”
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM
C6Sal
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I find at most meets that i go to the people seem pretty snobby if you don't engage them. But for the most part, if you are friendly and can make a little conversation, most people will start talking and be friendly. (I've found some that won't shut up once I get them talking) Could be a vibe that you're giving off? I don't know. I usually go to car meets with a friend of mine who is very outgoing, and he can talk to anybody. But passing on the road and giving waves? That is another story...sometimes I just don't see 'em! Don't mean to be rude...just more or less paying attention to whats in front of me.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I reckon I'm hating myself too.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Cracked Conch
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Phat98
I reckon I'm hating myself too.

I dont know about the hating part, but color me jealous.
That G body lurking in the back there is the icing on the cake.
The following users liked this post:
Phat98 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 05:03 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanmyz
If I said "Jeff Yachnin" for one.
That name sounds familiar. I had a '99 Firehawk and Jeff used to frequent the forum (Chirp 3rd)....Last I remember he was having health issues. Hope he is better (it was years ago). Wasn't he the Chief engineer for the C4?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cracked Conch
I dont know about the hating part, but color me jealous.
That G body lurking in the back there is the icing on the cake.
'84 Monte Carlo SS, bro-in-laws' car. 383 stroker built by Rick Stenhouse, SR. Yep, it will run.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jims66
I saw my first funny car match race when I was a kid up in Epping (early/mid-1970s)..... Jungle Jim (Lieberman) vs. The USA1 Camaro (Bruce Larson)....., also loved wathcing Jungle Pam just walking around, but I digress....

You mean Jungle Jim was doing a match race? I've always wondered how many forgot about the racing to watch Pam's show?
Very easy to get distracted when she was on the track.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:

“Please all, and you will please none.”
Does anyone here know WTF this guy is talking about?

Quick Reply: Corvette owners I met today were a bunch of.....