Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stock 96 mufflers value? New member, sorry if not allowed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 AM
missmyc4
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 96 mufflers value? New member, sorry if not allowed.

Hey guys, signed up a couple years back when I was 18 and bought my stock white 96, but never came on here or anything. So I’m new, I didn’t wanna get into the for sale/wanted thread yet, but if this isn’t cool just lmk to move the thread. Should only take a little bit I’m sure.

Basically, I bought my stock 96 with 60k on it, it was completely silent, while I was waiting to save up for a full cat back, I ordered the muffler eliminators for like $150 or so and the old man and I took a nice Milwaukee Sawzall with a good blade to the mufflers.

Im wondering if the mufflers are worth much of anything to sell? Like I said 60k, old man weekend cruiser type, garage owned, so no rust or anything. Thanks!

Man do I miss her...
Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

It just depends on finding a buyer that is looking for it.

When I had a muffler rust out and I just wanted a replacement on my '88 I got a used catback (axle back with both mufflers) from Jason at Vette2Vette for $50.

When I wanted to replace the whole catback system (LT1 style) I found several complete systems for under $100. I bought one at $75 and one at $25.

So for value, there is not much. If you find the right buyer they might bring $25 to $50, but may be for sale a while because not too many are looking for a used stock replacement.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

to add to what QCvette said, the other thing will be ow much pipe is left for attachment as well.

post a couple pictures of what they look like (condition)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM
missmyc4
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah okay, sounds like it’s not worth posting pics or anything, that’d be a pain for me rn. There’s nothing really left as far as pipe, for the eliminators you basically cut just before the hangers. And they’re in fine condition, but not great or anything. I just had no idea, so I was wondering if the two of them might be worth like $100-150 or something to that effect. Also a gear head friend I met in the Army had mentioned something once about certain mufflers being worth a little bit to sell to the right muffler shop because of a certain material inside, something to that effect so that was in the back of my mind as well. I’m moving and don’t have room for them so I was wondering if there might be something I could do to unload em quick for a couple bucks, like a shop or dealership or something, I don’t really know haha. Because yeah I already expected that posting them on eBay or something, they’d just be sitting there for sale forever, and nobody’s gonna want them on Craigslist. Can’t imagine what use someone would have for used stock mufflers really haha. Maybe I’ll call a junkyard or two. Just wanted to get an idea if they were worthless or not, which they basically are haha. Thanks guys.

And for the record, the dual tips on those eliminators did look and sound pretty good 😬
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

The LT tips if removed correctly could bring $$$ and are easily shipped. They likely have same $$ value as the complete mufflers.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I cant imagine someone wanting to clamp on stock mufflers. there is an abundance of stock cat backs that have not been cut. save the tips if you want but id chuck the mufflers.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Since OEM mufflers are no longer available from GM (at least for my '88), those used ones might be worth something to someone who is looking for such.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:24 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Someone will buy them, eventually. If you have the space, put them in the For Sale section and hold onto them.

Lots of Corvette owners ditch the stock mufflers for something noisy. If the car is later sold, it is common for the new owner to want a factory stock system. That's what happened to me. Or sometimes the same owner that put on the noisy pipes will get tired of it and want stock again... but they ditched their old stock units, so now they are in the market to buy what you have.

I was lucky that a local muffler shop had a pair of brand new factory mufflers for my LT1, $300 installed. I just wish I had kept the chrome Flowmaster tips and sold them, instead of just giving them to the shop. No biggie.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs

Parting thought: I do not know if your mufflers are the same P/N as LT4/Grand Sport mufflers. (I'll look it up later tonight after work). But if yours ARE the same, I would not toss them. GS's are sought after enough that they are being taken through the NCRS system to add value to them. Correct mufflers will be a big deal on a GS, and I suppose quite a few NCRS-potential GS's no longer have their original mufflers. So finding yours on E-Pay might be bought up by a guy just to have them on spec.
I too would be interested to know if the actual GS mufflers are different.. I have a LT4/GS Catback on my ZR-1 actually
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I have an LT4 'system' here, the resonator, L muffler and R muffler all have the same 'system' identifying information on them. On all it's 10254060 and that's the 'only' part #'d system I've ever seen published for an LT4 'domestic' production. There's 2 different 'export' systems dependent upon the market.

For NCRS I'd think it important so as to loose no points I'd think there could be no 'butt welds' where they were added to the system.

-=Jeff=- What's the information on your LT4 system?

My system is a YDS and I checked a GS build sheet #709 and it shows the same YDS exhaust. The 'date codes' on my resonator, L muffler and R muffler DO NOT MATCH.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

I just threw mine away
Old 06-14-2018, 12:16 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Like a guy preparing a 96 for an NCRS campaign. Mufflers are date-coded and have part numbers. Mufflers (and their tips) have about 25-30 points associated with them. A significant amount, and enough that a guy will consider trying to find suitable take-off mufflers for his campaign.

I don't know what to suggest for you to approach this market. Probably E-Pay will be the most effective.

Parting thought: I do not know if your mufflers are the same P/N as LT4/Grand Sport mufflers. (I'll look it up later tonight after work). But if yours ARE the same, I would not toss them. GS's are sought after enough that they are being taken through the NCRS system to add value to them. Correct mufflers will be a big deal on a GS, and I suppose quite a few NCRS-potential GS's no longer have their original mufflers. So finding yours on E-Pay might be bought up by a guy just to have them on spec.

no one that has an NCRS type car is going to use mufflers that have to be clamped...
Old 06-14-2018, 03:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

they probably want date coded corrosion..and cheap.

If you can get $40 or so for the pair local pickup and dont mind sitting on them they might sell. Shipping these days is a killer!

Used to be C4 stuff would sell fast, not so much these days.

Theres always the guy who bought the cat back soup and learned that stock mufflers are not huge power robbers & dont attract the wrong attention.

Your buddy is probably thinking of platinum in cats?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by missmyc4
Ah. Also a gear head friend I met in the Army had mentioned something once about certain mufflers being worth a little bit to sell to the right muffler shop because of a certain material inside,
He's probably thinking of catalytic converters. I remember hearing a few years ago of people having theirs stolen right off the car while out shopping.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
I just threw mine away

lol - guy selling used mufflers.

Reminds me of the peeps who try sell Bose speakers with the amps removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock 96 mufflers value? New member, sorry if not allowed.

Quick Reply: Stock 96 mufflers value? New member, sorry if not allowed.