Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Should I buy this 1985 Corvette with 39 K miles?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Sunder62
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this 1985 Corvette with 39 K miles?

Hi, new to the Forum and looking for advice. Thanks for having me. I've wanted a Corvette for 35 plus years, so here goes.
A local Ford dealership has a 1985 base model Corvette coupe for sale at 4900. It has only 39 K miles and has a perfect history/carfax. Interior is 90% nice but the paint is GONE (60%) for the most part. No body damage; engine, tranny, suspension, electronics all good.
Is the fiberglass compromised and how should I refinish it, by paint or by body wrap? And how much should I pay for this car? I know pictures would be worth a million words. It's not a bad looking car just really faded! Any ideas, advice or anything else? Thanks for reading!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:43 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunder62
Hi, new to the Forum and looking for advice. Thanks for having me. I've wanted a Corvette for 35 plus years, so here goes.
A local Ford dealership has a 1985 base model Corvette coupe for sale at 4900. It has only 39 K miles and has a perfect history/carfax. Interior is 90% nice but the paint is GONE (60%) for the most part. No body damage; engine, tranny, suspension, electronics all good.
Is the fiberglass compromised and how should I refinish it, by paint or by body wrap? And how much should I pay for this car? I know pictures would be worth a million words. It's not a bad looking car just really faded! Any ideas, advice or anything else? Thanks for reading!
what about this car makes you want to finally make the leap?

to paint these cars correctly it can cost a pretty penny thinking 4 to 6 k for a quality job that won't give you issues in a couple years.

low mile cars such as an 85, which at this point is over 30 years old, this car sat for long periods of time.. probably outside from the condition of the paint.. that can be worse than a car that has been driven and has "high" mileage.

do yourself a favor if you really want a vette.. list out what you're really looking for in the car.. think Auto vs manual.. late vs early c4.. etc etc. Then find the car that best matches what you really want.. not some lot/auction car that sat for some unknown reason.

Last edited by AgentEran; 06-15-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

You will get a million different answers and I own an 85, so here's mine..

1) Mileage matters less than you think because it is so old. There will be cash involved. You need cash flow and if a $500 repair puts you off? Don't buy the car. If several $500 repairs will bankrupt you? Don't buy the car.

2) This is a car that has almost reached advanced user status. You either have to have some kind of basic ability repairing cars, or an extreme desire to learn.

3) Painting Corvettes is very expensive. (Which is why I do my own paint)

If that doesn't put you off, you're in luck. This place is the single largest concentration of corvette knowledge anywhere on the internet. If you want to jump in, this is your support crew and they are a very, very good one. There is nothing they do not know. The limits are your financial wherewithal and your willingness to learn and to try.

Good luck.. I jumped in on mine and I love it.

Last edited by confab; 06-15-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I would go for it if you want into an unmolested C4...4.9k aint much, they'd probably take 4.5 without flinching. Always can repaint it if you really enjoy her or get a quick wrap to hold you over while you decide
Old 06-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Bckmstr
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If you like it and want it go for it, i did when i seen my 85 with its history and couldn’t be more happy
Old 06-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

If you need a paint job, that $4900 becomes $11k and 85 vettes (even with 35K miles) aren't worth $11K

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 06-16-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
2) This is a car that has almost reached advanced user status.
That make me crack up. I never thought of it that way but it is true!

In addition to myt C4, I have a C5 (great car- very different) so I spend some time on the C5 forum. It is interesting to note that as those cars age, the maintenance and repair issues are begining to pop up. IMO, the "typical" C5 owner is not as mechanically inclined as a C4 owner is- they don't have to be....yet.

So that makes me an "advanced user (C4) and an "avid waxer" (C5).
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Buy it and don't paint it. Just bash around for a few months and make sure you like it. Once you know for sure, then sell it, and buy a nice one.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:57 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
That make me crack up. I never thought of it that way but it is true!
lol.. Sounds silly at first.

But I know a lot of people who couldn't properly repair any OBD1 car, let alone a C4.

The advanced diagnostics have kind of spoiled some folks. You turn those guys loose with a TPI, or worse.. A Crossfire.. I dunno if they would ever get it right?

Last edited by confab; 06-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:11 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 505 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Photos?

Drive by the dealer again and take a few photos to post here...
Old 12-22-2022, 10:36 PM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts

Here's one just south of you that doesn't look to need paint and it's a stick also. Not that much more money and looks to be in good cosmetic condition.

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/7563646469.html
Old 12-26-2022, 06:22 AM
'78CorvetteS.A.
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bucket List
Here's one just south of you that doesn't look to need paint and it's a stick also. Not that much more money and looks to be in good cosmetic condition.

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/7563646469.html
Hey Blue Bucket,
Very considerate of you to post this option for OP, but you got sucked into the "related thread" time warp!!! The OP wanted opinions almost 5 years ago and couldn't even post pictures....no biggie, I've accidentally posted to old threads plenty of times and still occasionally get ahead of myself and do it again! On a side note, the '86 you linked looks pretty damn nice for the mileage/age! Merry Christmas and a happy new year👍
Old 12-26-2022, 11:57 AM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by '78CorvetteS.A.
Hey Blue Bucket,
Very considerate of you to post this option for OP, but you got sucked into the "related thread" time warp!!! The OP wanted opinions almost 5 years ago and couldn't even post pictures....no biggie, I've accidentally posted to old threads plenty of times and still occasionally get ahead of myself and do it again! On a side note, the '86 you linked looks pretty damn nice for the mileage/age! Merry Christmas and a happy new year👍
Boy you sure got that right! I usually look to see when the OP was 1st posted but I guess I spaced it. Must be the old brain fog creeping in. Same to you and may 2023 be a banner year for all your endeavors.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I buy this 1985 Corvette with 39 K miles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy this 1985 Corvette with 39 K miles?