Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Would you rather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Honestly, I love the C1 and C2 also.. They're beautiful cars.

But they'd have to be waxers and I couldn't enjoy them. It's really better if someone else owns them. I'll appreciate them when I see them at the car shows.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Maybe. It's just part of being correct. I call the '70 LT-1 an LT hyphen 1....simply b/c that's what it is. Same with the ZR-1 and ZR1's.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:57 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
LOL.
One can tell the C4 purists on here by their use of "ZR-1" (WITH the hyphen) to describe the C4 version of the package from the other generations (particularly C6) which do NOT use the hyphen.
I'm just lazy and it's a c4... Not sure it commands my respect

Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Is this a joke? Among the worst C3 vs. the best C4? C4 ZR-1, here. No contest.
Nope, just a quiet rebuttal to the C4 being "unliked or not respected"

Said another way, there are worse corvettes out there and many have no problem saying the C4 is better or more desirable as a toy compared to those. We seem to always compare to newer stuff.

EXCEPT for DIZZWIZZ not liking the c2 most would prefer the LEGEND that was corvette, most would prefer that.

Early C3's had their place, all corvettes get attention as "corvettes" but the mid to early 80's might have well been station wagons to me. I'm still glad they hung in there though.

I like the 80-82 over the mid/late 70's, but... unless it's tube frame I don't want one.

I am sure there are some that just love the C3, but driven next to and compared to a C4 it would suck and they would still say they love the 74-79 vettes for some reason or another.

I could not post this in C3 and get real responses they would have all been saying it's trolling. I think this thread here is a little bias, but overall no.

IMO Even if Joe public liked the looks of a late c3, the c4 experience would trump it.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If smog laws were enforced, ZR-1

No Smog, C3.

The Z overall is a better everything (except for looks) but just not fast enough.

Dont think for a second any vette is too valuable to drive around, they are just cars. Mystique? Take one apart that will disappear, they are all just nuts n bolts.
Id get that a lot, "how could you risk an investment drag racing/driving it?" Its a money pit like the rest of them.

Thats what its for, to drive and enjoy, Leno drives some pretty rare stuff?

You can chip your paint with it sitting in a garage, insure it and get some use out of it..pics are cheap?
Dont want to sound like a dick I just dont understand treating a production car like a hope diamond.

Worried about value? Get good insurance.

Last edited by cv67; 06-19-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I am fortunate enough to own both and 86 convertible (auto) and a 78 coupe (5-speed) and they are completely different cars. While a ZR-1 would be a lot of fun, I actually would prefer my 78 coupe.

The C4 was a major advancement in refinement, and the seats are amazing, but I get a lot of refinement from my daily driver.

The C3 is very primal, especially with a good amount of horsepower, and can convey a sense that you don't really have control. The C4 is just too good of a chassis to do that to the driver.

Besides, at the risk of getting flamed here, I think the C3 body style is way sexier than the C4. Even though the aerodynamics are horrible, that body just looks fast standing still.

But while different, they each are great experiences.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Nope, just a quiet rebuttal to the C4 being "unliked or not respected"

Said another way, there are worse corvettes out there and many have no problem saying the C4 is better or more desirable as a toy compared to those. We seem to always compare to newer stuff.
Got it. Well played.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Mystique? Take one apart that will disappear,
Boy...ain't that the truth!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Good advice.. I'll take one apart sometime.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

1990 zr_1

I would really love to have a 1990 ZR-1 with the same color combo as as my 1990 base coupe L98

I just don’t have the room...yet

Last edited by Yukon Corleone; 06-19-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
No, I'm sure it is a fantastic car.. I'm positive of it.

But what concerns me is I keep hearing in the back of my mind:

"Sorry, that part is no longer available..."

Or:

"Except Corvette ZR1..."
I shared those concerns BEFORE doing some research. Turns out, it is NOT an issue AT ALL!

First of all, except for the LT5, the rest of the car is essentially still C4. And, the LT5 was conceived as a high-performance motor, designed by Lotus famous for their racing and competitive engineering, and built by a company skilled in building all aluminum motors designed to be run at full throttle for most of their life. They don't break much...is the point.

Where LT5 support is concerned, a combination of exclusive LT5 parts suppliers (e.g., Jerrys Gaskets, etc) have stepped up to procure parts or re-manufacture some parts.

And, there are a number of individuals scattered across the country who make the ZR-1 their specialty.

And, perhaps best of all is the ZR-1 Net Registry club. It's an organization made up of scores of individuals who by necessity have become skilled at troubleshooting and modifying these engines, and make it a point (just as folks on this Corvette Forum do) to help each other out and keep these classics running.

If anyone wants to own a piece of Corvette history and experience the car that set the table for Corvettes that followed, he/she needn't lose any sleep over the ZR-1.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-20-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
Honestly, I love the C1 and C2 also.. They're beautiful cars.

But they'd have to be waxers and I couldn't enjoy them. It's really better if someone else owns them. I'll appreciate them when I see them at the car shows.
There’s no comparison to seeing a car at a show and walking in your garage any time of day and admiring a C2. I’m glad I got mine before the cost became prohibitive.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I shared those concerns BEFORE doing some research. Turns out, it is NOT an issue AT ALL!

First of all, except for the LT5, the rest of the car is essentially still C4. And, the LT5 was conceived as a high-performance motor, designed by Lotus famous for their racing and competitive engineering, and built by a company skilled in building all aluminum motors designed to be run at full throttle for most of their life. They don't break much...is the point.

Where LT5 support is concerned, a combination of exclusive LT5 parts suppliers (e.g., Jerrys Gaskets, etc) have stepped up to procure parts or re-manufacture some parts.

And, there are a number of individuals scattered across the country who make the ZR-1 their specialty.

And, perhaps best of all is the ZR-1 Net Registry club. It's an organization made up of scores of individuals who by necessity have become skilled at troubleshooting and modifying these engines, and make it a point (just as folks on this Corvette Forum do) to help each other out and keep these classics running.

If anyone wants to own a piece of Corvette history and experience the car that set the table for Corvettes that followed, he/she needn't lose any sleep over the ZR-1.
Well stated.
I’ve heard that one reason for ZR-1s having running issues is that owners leave the valet key in place and baby them. The ZR-1 would rather be driven HARD every now or then, if not most of the time.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:12 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've had my 73 for 21 years and the95 3 years. Both are base model coupes and manual trans. The C3 is cheap and easy to work on. Many of the parts come right from the local NAPA as its pretty much just plain old chevy parts. Everything fits and there's a lot of interchangeability among years parts. Some things are just not available like rear window latches. Its fun to drive and I can beat the crap out of it and it just doesn't break. After a 4 hour drive I'm exhausted. It just beats the **** out of you. Wind noise is bad, controls are crude and the ride is rough. The C4 is far more powerful, smoother and still pretty tough. Its is decidedly more difficult to work on with the electronics and emissions but mechanically its ok. Of course a ZR-1 is in a different category.There are plenty of nice C3's available for under $20k whereas ZR-1's in nice shape command more.
Your question is sort of like "would you rather have a pizza or or watch a movie. Both are satisfying but they address different needs. C3 is a hot rod, a show stopper. C4 is a damn nice driving car.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:35 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 73n95
I've had my 73 for 21 years and the95 3 years. Both are base model coupes and manual trans. The C3 is cheap and easy to work on. Many of the parts come right from the local NAPA as its pretty much just plain old chevy parts. Everything fits and there's a lot of interchangeability among years parts. Some things are just not available like rear window latches. Its fun to drive and I can beat the crap out of it and it just doesn't break. After a 4 hour drive I'm exhausted. It just beats the **** out of you. Wind noise is bad, controls are crude and the ride is rough. The C4 is far more powerful, smoother and still pretty tough. Its is decidedly more difficult to work on with the electronics and emissions but mechanically its ok. Of course a ZR-1 is in a different category.There are plenty of nice C3's available for under $20k whereas ZR-1's in nice shape command more.
Your question is sort of like "would you rather have a pizza or or watch a movie. Both are satisfying but they address different needs. C3 is a hot rod, a show stopper. C4 is a damn nice driving car.

I agree with everything but this.... Not really acurate. There are many sub 20k dollar ZR-1's out there that are in fine shape... like mine for example.... with all the typical ZR-1 issues addressed to boot.

33,000 mile 90
Attached Images    
Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by colo63sw
Well stated.
I’ve heard that one reason for ZR-1s having running issues is that owners leave the valet key in place and baby them. The ZR-1 would rather be driven HARD every now or then, if not most of the time.
I've been an owner since 2007, and a problem with running in the "valet" mode most of the time has never come up. But, the aging secondary port throttle network is made up of plastic lines and rubber couplers that break and crack and subsequently hinder the secondary port throttle (aka FULL ENGINE POWER mode) from operating properly. That might be what you are referring to.

That is an easy fix as new replacement parts are readily available, if one desires to keep the car running in stock configuration. .

HOWEVER, many of us have eliminated the entire secondary port throttle (SPT) system if favor of added reliability and performance enhancements. And, in fact Lotus did the same on their gen-III version of the LT5. (I removed mine in 2009 without any downside effects whatsoever, In fact, as result, the throttle response is much more responsive, and I've never experienced a single problem as result. Parts that don't exist don't break, and they don't cost much!)

Old 06-21-2018, 05:08 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Zr-1
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
I agree with everything but this.... Not really acurate. There are many sub 20k dollar ZR-1's out there that are in fine shape... like mine for example.... with all the typical ZR-1 issues addressed to boot.

33,000 mile 90
Thats a fine ZR1. I've found a couple sub 20K as well .it's ******* tempting lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you rather?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 PM
CVG323
Race Director

This would be the holy grail for me.
my favorite c4 color, zr1, and black interior. Just more than I want to spend right now .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/d/1992-corvette-zr-1-in-bright/6611655176.html
Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Hmmm...... Lol

Last edited by CVG323; 06-21-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:13 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
This would be the holy grail for me.
my favorite c4 color, zr1, and black interior. Just more than I want to spend right now .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/d/1992-corvette-zr-1-in-bright/6611655176.html
What a car

Quick Reply: Would you rather?