Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to run an additional cable from front inside to rear lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 06:38 AM
CologneCruiser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to run an additional cable from front inside to rear lights?

Thank god I can keep the original indicators but unfortunately I have to mount a rear fog lamp. So I need to run a new cable from the fod light relais to the rear bumper. I did search a lot but found either all threads or none, so I would be really thankful for a hint how to get an additional cable from the fog light relais in the passenger foot room to the rear bumper / rear lights section.

Many thanks in advance!

The model is a 1996 Coupe directly from the US.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

You drive backwards in the fog in Cologne? Interesting.

The seats will bolt in backwards. It's a direct fit. But the legroom and control access is miserable.

Wish I could help with cable routing.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I put in a backup camera when I upgraded my radio. The best place I found to run the cable was through the antenna grommet. I preferred that to drilling a hole somewhere.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by CologneCruiser
I have to mount a rear fog lamp.
For what? I know MBs have a "Rear Fog Light" thing where one of the rear brake lights will light up but I'm not sure I would turn on a 55 watt light to blind someone driving behind me or that it is even legal to do so when the **** you off by tailgating
Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aklim
For what?
Required in many European countries.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:15 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Required in many European countries.
From the natives, sure. But does it involve a car you bring over from across the pond? WOuld they have to be retrofitted then? Would it be as bright a light as our fog lights you hook onto the bumper or just a lower wattage bulb?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:42 PM
CologneCruiser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
I put in a backup camera when I upgraded my radio. The best place I found to run the cable was through the antenna grommet. I preferred that to drilling a hole somewhere.
Many thanks, I will check out the antenna grommet. Then I would also get a cable for a backup camera there.

Regarding the question "why on earth do you do this?": As already mentioned, some european countries require a rear fog light for all vehicles (regardless of origin or style) with first registration in this country after 1990. Once you have an approved historic vehicle you can remove it - 1996 is too young. So I simply have to mount it if i want to drive the streets legally - and this is exactly what I want the car for.
The are not only strict laws how the rear fog light has to work, where it is placed and which colour the control-lamp must have but also when it is allowed to be used: If you have less than 50m view due to fog, you must switch it on and go not faster than 50km/h. Unfortunately some switch it on just when driving and this is definitely a pain.

For me all rear fog lights should be erased from all cars because the little benefit does not compensate for the who switch it on because it used to rain a week ago. But without the lamp, I don't get a license plate. Same for the ugly red reflectors I have to mount below the regular lights as the regular lights contain reflectors but as the reflectors are not approved by some official engineer they don't count. There are many cases observed when those reflectors or rear foglights are unfortunately lost some days after the regular (every two years) mandatory technical check (TÜV) but that's a different thing.

The C4 imported to Europe by GM did also have it:
- The original fog-light-switch was used for the rear fog light
- There was no additonal lamp but the 3rd brake light was used. Those days the third brake light was barely allowed in e.g. Germany (center stop light was illegal until 1993 and only mandatory for cars since 1998)
- The fog lights were used as Parking Lights

Once the registration is done, I will not only search for a good grommet to get additional cables to the rear but also check for nicer options to place the lamp. It is an option to put a bright red bulb into the left backup light reflector and switch this to rear fog light.

Last edited by CologneCruiser; 06-17-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:26 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by CologneCruiser
- There was no additonal lamp but the 3rd brake light was used. Those days the third brake light was barely allowed in e.g. Germany (center stop light was illegal until 1993 and only mandatory for cars since 1998)
I woudn't say no additional lamps were used.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
I woudn't say no additional lamps were used.

Thats interesting. Looks like since the euro plate is wider than the US plate, they moved the reverse lights to the tail lights. I’ve never seen a euro spec C4 rear light/bumper before but I kind of like it.

Get notified of new replies

To How to run an additional cable from front inside to rear lights?

Quick Reply: How to run an additional cable from front inside to rear lights?