Bckmstr
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I don’t see the need for it....
Old 06-18-2018, 04:42 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The idea of a "deterrent" is to give the potential thief a reason to move on. Granted, the C4 is considered by society to be "less desirable." The manual transmission is an increasingly effective deterrent as time goes on. I am fortunate that most of the places I park are decent areas, but I still use a steering wheel club when I do park in sketchy areas

But this dummy LED is kind of appealing, if I don't have to cut up my interior too much. Also the horn chirp (factory system) would lend this light even more credibility.

Not everyone has the luxury of parking in decent areas and enclosed garages 98% of the time.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you buy the faux cell phone as well? Having flashbacks to 1985.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
They make 12volt LED's that are both flashing and non-flashing. The flashing LED like the OP and I have used have the flashing mechanism incorporated into the light housing.

In a 92-up, using the orange and pink wires in the center compartment, the pink is only hot in RUN (Ignition on):

orange to LED (+)
pink to LED (-)
When the ignition is OFF, the pink wire is at ground potential through other devices on the ignition circuit. The LED will be ON because it is grounded through the pink wire.

When the ignition is ON, BOTH leads of the LED are at the (+) potential, so no current flows. The LED is OFF.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailed answer. I appreciate it! Dan
The following users liked this post:
IHBD (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X

And just in case anyone here thinks they are immune, there's also this:

B17Crew
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
lol.. Yeah, in a world of Gen M types and automatic transmissions, a bunch of people may as well be trying to steal the USS Enterprise as a stick shift Vette.
Reminds me of a news report I heard recently. Car thief attempted to steal a car with a manual tranny. He wasn’t able to get it more than a few feet and then gave up due to not being able to drive a stick.

B17Crew
Old 06-18-2018, 09:11 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

lol
Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 505 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Jus' Saying...

OK, so I was originally just posting my theft deterrent advice to be helpful in the event a thief wants to steal your Vette. I omitted it's more likely a thief would smash a side window to gain access to take something that's not attached inside your Vette. Such as a purse, backpack, briefcase, or any carrying case that looks like it could have a laptop inside. Therefore, never leave anything like that in sight. If you park outside often, the flashing LED light could help.
IHBD (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/au...urity-systems/

I don't think that will hack up your car if you take the time to do it right.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
OK, so I was originally just posting my theft deterrent advice to be helpful in the event a thief wants to steal your Vette. I omitted it's more likely a thief would smash a side window to gain access to take something that's not attached inside your Vette. Such as a purse, backpack, briefcase, or any carrying case that looks like it could have a laptop inside. Therefore, never leave anything like that in sight. If you park outside often, the flashing LED light could help.
And if you have a convertible, it's not even likley the window will be broken.

Best strategy with a convertible is to just leave it unlocked and never leave anything easily carried inside. If you lock it, you'll come back to a cut top and whatever's easily carried that was inside will be gone.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If I've ever felt the need for extra security, I've just unplugged the + coil wire.

Thieves typically don't have time to start diagnostics.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:09 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 505 Likes on 311 Posts
Default True!

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
And if you have a convertible, it's not even likley the window will be broken.

Best strategy with a convertible is to just leave it unlocked and never leave anything easily carried inside. If you lock it, you'll come back to a cut top and whatever's easily carried that was inside will be gone.
Convertibles do get picked on. A simple 4 inch slice along the driver's side in the soft top will allow access for a slim arm or a tool to open your door from the inside. That's why I believe convertibles need a real alarm that also have motion detection and/or proximity sensors. Flashing LED light: $10. Car alarm with all the latest bells and whistles: $400.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Convertibles do get picked on. A simple 4 inch slice along the driver's side in the soft top will allow access for a slim arm or a tool to open your door from the inside.
Ha....you can get into a COUPE easier than that; slip your fingers into the top of the door glass...pull out on that ***** like you're goal is to break it. It won't break....but will come out far enough that you can get your arm down in there and unlock the door. You're in.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I own a 2008 Porsche Cayenne. I would llike to have a Remote Starter. Not a chance I'm going to TOUCH the electrical in that car. I'm bright enough to know that I don't know enough about that car's electrical system to fix it if I make a mistake, nor to even attempt the install in the first place. I also don't trust the 20-something year olds at the Porsche dealership to be able to fix my F-up either because they don't know anything more about the car's electrical system than I do. Even at $165 an hour.
I think I understand the problem now. In your opinion, there is nobody on earth capable of doing the job since you eliminated yourself and everybody at the dealership and probably private installers. As such, it is either you or nobody. I guess I'm glad I don'tt feel that way about my house. I mean, sure the plans and specifications are probably engineer approved but it is probably built by some bunch of barely high school graduates with probably a bad attitude and the roof might collapse on me some night while I am sleeping. Under that circumstance, I agree the silly blinking light that probably fools nobody except a couple of retards is the only solution if you want to DIY.

I don't disagree that I want someone competent and with an acceptable attitude to do the job. OTOH, it's just a car not a missile with a nuclear warhead that will lay waste to a major city. I have seen many an alarm system or theft deterrent installed with no issues. I don't disagree that some will have issues especially if you get some fly by night guy that does it for cash. With a reputable shop, you should be fine or at least the odds are with you.

Last edited by aklim; 06-19-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Convertibles do get picked on. A simple 4 inch slice along the driver's side in the soft top will allow access for a slim arm or a tool to open your door from the inside. That's why I believe convertibles need a real alarm that also have motion detection and/or proximity sensors. Flashing LED light: $10. Car alarm with all the latest bells and whistles: $400.
Getting a good cut of steak at a nice restaurant will be over $50. You can get, at least around here, 2 breakfast sandwiches and any sized soda for about $5 at McDonnalds.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

I ordered and received yesterday the exact same lights as the OP. They are high quality. They work just like IHATEBARKINGDOGS said they would. Not installed yet just tested on the battery. Since you get 2 I will be glad to sell my extra one for $3.00. Dan
IHBD (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 10:14 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Honestly, if someone wants to steal my car, they're welcome to. Its Insured, and easily replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Additional Theft Deterrent

Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Honestly, if someone wants to steal my car, they're welcome to. Its Insured, and easily replaced.
Then it's upgrade time
Old 06-23-2018, 12:27 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Then it's upgrade time
They could steal any of my vehicles, they're just cars. I probably couldn't replace my C6, but I could find another car to buy.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
They could steal any of my vehicles, they're just cars. I probably couldn't replace my C6, but I could find another car to buy.
There is a price tag on most anything I own. If I have to worry, why pay more for comprehensive insurance? Buy liability to satisfy legal requirements and save the rest and gain a headache.or but a more comprehensive policy and let them worry. It's all an object and replacement is easy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Additional Theft Deterrent