Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Over a year owned...and don’t I feel stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Over a year owned...and don’t I feel stupid!

So, I got a new console shifter trim plate as a Father’s Day gift. While I was inside the console I noticed something that, after over a year of driving, I had never noticed before. I bought my car thinking that the factory targa top tool was missing. Seems I am just blind as it was in the designated slot in the console.
Then I decided to clean the rear speaker grills and again, I was surprised to see not Bose speakers but some cheap a** crap and one was even disconnected! Appears one amp is shot. I was livid! I had planned on just keeping the Bose speakers but replacing the head unit with a flat screen. Now I am going to have replace all the speakers and radio with aftermarket. It’s a shame that it is almost cheaper to replace with aftermarket than with the original Bose. But hey, at least the radio and three speakers still work lol
Old 06-16-2018, 06:48 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

go aftermarket. leaps and bounds better than bose.
I have all pioneer in my 94
The following users liked this post:
Spasetrucker (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Just forget the Bose ever existed and run fresh wires to the speakers. Get the enclosures for non-Bose and you can get speakers for your car year that do NOT have Bose option. Makes life easier than to screw with that old crap. I'm not sure it is as easy as the non-Bose to simply replace a head unit and keep the old Bose crap. I didn't want to mess with mine so I tossed it all and had Best Buy lay wires and give me an extra foot hanging out. After that, I went home and set them all by myself.
Kens94 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
go aftermarket. leaps and bounds better than bose.
I have all pioneer in my 94
Kenwood in mine,You gotta love the blutooth interface
Kens94 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Methinks you might want to visit the eye doctor and have your hearing checked.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The Bose in mine all worked and sounded pretty freaking good at that. (Given it is 30 years old and well... made by bose... ) I just swapped out the head unit for ipod use. System sounds good enough. Once the bose units start failing I'll gut it but until then... had a lot of people surprised that the speakers behind the grills were actually stock. That being said the system I designed for my house or my truck will absolutely destroy that one but for what it is it works.

If you do do it, dropping wires should take all of an hour to do. The hardest part is getting them into the doors. That boot can be a pain in the ***.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
The Bose in mine all worked and sounded pretty freaking good at that. (Given it is 30 years old and well... made by bose... ) I just swapped out the head unit for ipod use. System sounds good enough. Once the bose units start failing I'll gut it but until then... had a lot of people surprised that the speakers behind the grills were actually stock. That being said the system I designed for my house or my truck will absolutely destroy that one but for what it is it works.

If you do do it, dropping wires should take all of an hour to do. The hardest part is getting them into the doors. That boot can be a pain in the ***.
Unless you are an audiophile and insist on certain sounds, the Bose is acceptable. That said, time moved on. Newer units have better features. One great feature is I am not locked in. I can change my rear speakers without having to make sure that it is Bose. I can have 2 different brands, one front and one rear of different type. I don't have to be married to having a Bose system

Get notified of new replies

To Over a year owned...and don’t I feel stupid!

Quick Reply: Over a year owned...and don’t I feel stupid!