Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dash rattle that was driving me insane!

Old 06-16-2018, 11:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default Dash rattle that was driving me insane!

My '92 has been uncharacteristically rattle free since I bought it years ago. I've always been impressed with the lack of rattles it's had, first because that one of the things C4 owners never stop complaining about....second because when I bought it, the 17 year old car rattled less than my 3 year old C6.

Anyway, about a month ago, it developed a rattle in the dash. Not just any rattle, but this is one of those incessant, continuous, brain piercing rattles. It was driving me bat-****. Even with the radio up, I could still hear that little ****-suk'r rattling away. It was so bad...some times I'd think about driving the car into a concrete wall, just to shut up that f'n rattle!

Anyway, today I pulled the defrost vent/bezel and the two 7mm headed hex screws that pull the top of dash into the fire wall were loose. I tightened them up and OMG....it's like I have a brand new car.
The following users liked this post:
lances2000 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:26 AM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

You’ve got to love when a solution is a simple one.

B17Crew
Old 06-17-2018, 01:16 PM
lances2000
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rattles

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
My '92 has been uncharacteristically rattle free since I bought it years ago. I've always been impressed with the lack of rattles it's had, first because that one of the things C4 owners never stop complaining about....second because when I bought it, the 17 year old car rattled less than my 3 year old C6.

Anyway, about a month ago, it developed a rattle in the dash. Not just any rattle, but this is one of those incessant, continuous, brain piercing rattles. It was driving me bat-****. Even with the radio up, I could still hear that little ****-suk'r rattling away. It was so bad...some times I'd think about driving the car into a concrete wall, just to shut up that f'n rattle!

Anyway, today I pulled the defrost vent/bezel and the two 7mm headed hex screws that pull the top of dash into the fire wall were loose. I tightened them up and OMG....it's like I have a brand new car.
I too have a 92 coupe that has good weather stripping and tight visors etc.(no rattles to speak of) A few weeks ago, I started hearing a rattle that sounded as if it were coming from underneath the center of the drivers side dash. This lasted briefly and has since went away. I appreciate your post and I'm going to check those screws you tightened.

LS
Old 06-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

on the subject of loose fasteners, one thing I do with those small self tapping interior trim screws that usually go thru some sort of plastic bezel, is to add thread locker, and snug them up. lots of interior screws are over-torqued, thus cracking the plastic bezels. thread locker and minimum torque and things stay pretty much secure without any squeaks and rattles -
The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I can out OCD anyone when it comes to car rattles. Good for you on finding the culprit.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
on the subject of loose fasteners, one thing I do with those small self tapping interior trim screws that usually go thru some sort of plastic bezel, is to add thread locker, and snug them up. lots of interior screws are over-torqued, thus cracking the plastic bezels. thread locker and minimum torque and things stay pretty much secure without any squeaks and rattles -
That's a fantastic idea. I agree that most interior screws get over torqued. Getting them right, then using the Loc-Tite is the right way. Thanks for posting that one.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I can out OCD anyone when it comes to car rattles. Good for you on finding the culprit.
My 94 had a ******* squeak that drove me insane. Removed dash pad and tightened everything. Still had it .
removed passenger side knee cover, and it was the foam underneath it. Used felt tape to cover that thing up and it stopped .

Get notified of new replies

To Dash rattle that was driving me insane!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash rattle that was driving me insane!