C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Discount Tire has pissed me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Discount Tire has pissed me off

Took my 96 to get new tires today. As they were pulling my car into the bay I realized that I hadn't given the tech my tire lock so I finished up with the guy at the desk and walked over to give the guy my lock. As I approach I see him furiously tugging on my hood release and then pressing down on the hood. I ask what the f#@k he's doing and he said that he heard the older vettes need the hood, hatch and doors open before lifting the car two inches off the floor to take off the tires. I told him that wasn't necessary and gave him the wheel locks. I reached in to check the hood release and sure enough he broke the hood release cable, at least on the drivers side.

I just ordered the hood tool from Ecklers but I was wondering if anyone had any diagrams on how those cables are connected. I tried to look under the dash but I'm too old to get under there. Just want to estimate how much effort it will be to replace the cable. Might something just be disconnected or is it likely broken? Had this car for 22 years without a problem with that cable and it takes some doofus 3 seconds to needlessly screw it up!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Well its not a fun job to replace the whole cable if he snapped off one of the metal end pieces, either at the hood catch or inside the car on the release handle, because you'll have to fiddle with it constantly to get it back to the factory tension where it'll unpop at the first pull. At least I did.

Its not difficult though, its basically long black cables that are screwed into place along the firewall with clamps. The end pieces slip into the hood catch in the engine bay and then onto your handle, did you see what exactly broke? It can just come out of the handle.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by vader86
Well its not a fun job to replace the whole cable if he snapped off one of the metal end pieces, either at the hood catch or inside the car on the release handle, because you'll have to fiddle with it constantly to get it back to the factory tension where it'll unpop at the first pull. At least I did.

Its not difficult though, its basically long black cables that are screwed into place along the firewall with clamps. The end pieces slip into the hood catch in the engine bay and then onto your handle, did you see what exactly broke? It can just come out of the handle.
I was kind of hoping that it might have popped out of the handle under that dash but on my quick look, I didn't see any loose end. I felt around and thought I felt one cable but I wasn't sure and didn't know what I should feel. I guess I'll have to try to climb into the footwell and take a closer look. I don't see any broken plastic in the footwell.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:36 PM
turbobuick33
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I get new tires for my vette, I will not bring the vette to the tire shop. Instead i will remove the tires at home and bring them to the shop. I wouldn't trust any tire shop to lift a corvette.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I'm curious what Discount Tire did to "make it right" for you?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobuick33
When I get new tires for my vette, I will not bring the vette to the tire shop. Instead i will remove the tires at home and bring them to the shop. I wouldn't trust any tire shop to lift a corvette.
Me too. Both of my floor pans are cracked now.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wow I have to say that I am surprised. I've been going to the local Discount Tire store here in Everett for the past 15 years. They put tires on both of my vettes and I've never had anything but first class results from their team.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

IDK I just buy the tires online then worry about installation. Found a place local for installation. Discount didn't stock the tires, website had lines about freight and other fees. I needed the tires online no fees or freight so that is what I got.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
IDK I just buy the tires online then worry about installation. Found a place local for installation. Discount didn't stock the tires, website had lines about freight and other fees. I needed the tires online no fees or freight so that is what I got.
- had an issue with discount about 15 years ago. wife had a S-10 blazer. long story short, bought four new tires - 235/70R15's. anyway, didn't check the tires before I left, and the first time we put the thing in 4-wheel drive, blew out the front differential. thought it was a bit of bad luck, so had my local dealer replace the case. six months later, went into four-wheel drive again, and "bang" blew out a second differential. back to the dealer, and WTF. took the dealer a while, and a call to GM to tech support, and it came back - "why did you put two different size tires on the car? " turns out, some minimum wage bubba at discount tire installed three 235/70R15's and one (i'm thinking) 225/65R15. the later was about 1/2" smaller in diameter. a visit to 4-wheel drive and the size difference put enough stress on the front end, and "BAM!" that whole discount tire ordeal cost me around $4K. went back to DT, and they said the invoice stated four 235/70R15's, and I could not prove anything otherwise. so, it was ***** joey! you only get one chance to screw me, and have never gone back to DT for anything. my last 12 sets of tires came from the tire rack. never an issues. besides, better selection and better pricing. like Kevova, i'll take it someplace for mounting and balancing only. I always install the wheel/tire assemblies on my vehicles myself. don't want these bozo's even taking an impact wrench to my lug nuts! tires on-line -- IMO, the only way to fly!

Last edited by Joe C; 07-11-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RIC96
Took my 96 to get new tires today. As they were pulling my car into the bay I realized that I hadn't given the tech my tire lock so I finished up with the guy at the desk and walked over to give the guy my lock. As I approach I see him furiously tugging on my hood release and then pressing down on the hood. I ask what the f#@k he's doing and he said that he heard the older vettes need the hood, hatch and doors open before lifting the car two inches off the floor to take off the tires. I told him that wasn't necessary and gave him the wheel locks. I reached in to check the hood release and sure enough he broke the hood release cable, at least on the drivers side.

I just ordered the hood tool from Ecklers but I was wondering if anyone had any diagrams on how those cables are connected. I tried to look under the dash but I'm too old to get under there. Just want to estimate how much effort it will be to replace the cable. Might something just be disconnected or is it likely broken? Had this car for 22 years without a problem with that cable and it takes some doofus 3 seconds to needlessly screw it up!
One of our Z's has had some wire cables installed with finger loops on one end and laid down in the windshield wiper tray for emergency access. I'll attach pix, but first need to snap some first.
As for the DT practice, it nearly came to a shouting incident over that opening the hood, doors, and even the hatch! In the end the manager "allowed" me to keep everything closed if I'd sign off on them lifting the car w/o opening the hood, etc.
It may be a lot about nothing, but on the other hand I think we should try to get to the bottom the reason for their mistaken notion (IMO) of the nescessity for opening (hood, etc) before jacking .
Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

don't need to be a rocket scientist to mount tires, prefer them not to be driving my vette or lifting it...I'm already spending most of the time explaining to them the rims are uni-directional and yet they still mount them backwards!

Last edited by bac22; 07-11-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:37 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

It isn't just selected Discount Tire shop, it can be anywhere. Fella I know had his C6 damaged at a smaller town Chevy dealer when they lifted it incorrectly. It just depends on how knowledgeable Bubba is on Vettes or not. When I had my tires done the other year I also took the rims to the dealer and watched them mount them. Caught them almost putting one on reversed.

It can happen and has based on everyone's comments here. You need to watch whoever does it that it's done correctly.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:13 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The NTB store I go to damaged a C6 very soon after they did mine. Their alignment rack is raised and a Corvette just won't pull up on it without scraping. I took in the big "Lego" blocks (8x8'ish) that we use to level our trailer and made a long incline for them to pull the car up with.

It cost them to have that car repaired. They should pay for the issue (OP). NTB lost the keyed wrench for the locking lug nuts. Luckily I had the documentation from the original owner that had the code and I was able to order a new one. NTB reimbursed me the part cost plus shipping.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

I must have had the same guy... I had taken my c7z to a discount tire (only people who had a force road balance machine). Since it was low, guy thought it would be OK to pull up as hard as he could on the fender to get the lift under the car... Gave him a quick education on things not to do...
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 AM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

DT has done the same open all the doors thing on my 89 twice. On the second I asked why. Its in their computer for one and the guy said they are afraid of "cracking" things. Beyond this, they appeared to know what they were doing. I always sit at the window to watch or stand as close to my cars as they will let me. I suppose it depends on the location.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I'm curious what Discount Tire did to "make it right" for you?
Bill, I was so angry that I didn't address the situation with a manager yesterday, only the tech. I'm going to head back out there shortly. I'm sure that they will say that it was already broken but why would I go to a tire shop to blame someone for breaking my hood latch? If that was my plan, I would have gone to Jiffy Lube! Problem I have is finding someone that can provide an estimate and do the repair. The Chevy dealership I used no longer works on anything older than 20 yrs old so I've got to find another option.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Several shops messed things up for me too. Mostly scratched wheels, torque on lugs, bad jacking points, air pressure, etc. and one scratched the car.

I got fed up and bought a tire machine and balancer. They were a great investment. They have paid for themselves several times in saved fees, plus I can do it without damage, the way I want, and it is far more convenient.

I try very hard to not take any of my cars in for service.

Get notified of new replies

To Discount Tire has pissed me off

Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
One of our Z's has had some wire cables installed with finger loops on one end and laid down in the windshield wiper tray for emergency access. I'll attach pix, but first need to snap some first.
As for the DT practice, it nearly came to a shouting incident over that opening the hood, doors, and even the hatch! In the end the manager "allowed" me to keep everything closed if I'd sign off on them lifting the car w/o opening the hood, etc.
It may be a lot about nothing, but on the other hand I think we should try to get to the bottom the reason for their mistaken notion (IMO) of the nescessity for opening (hood, etc) before jacking .
I think I saw those in the Ecklers catalog but my hood tool isn't scheduled to arrive until the 20th so I'm stuck until then. They look like a good backup. I think I'll order them anyway but I still need the latch fixed.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You might want to find out if part was available at dealer. Body shops are also an option. You should have discussed hood latch when paying. The tech has no authority.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 364 Likes on 231 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I do the same thing...

Quick Reply: Discount Tire has pissed me off