Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How much would it take to fix this 91'?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much would it take to fix this 91'?

My dad has a 91 convertible that basically sits in the field in the back yard. It is automatic. He starts it every summer/winter and that's about it. It has 160k miles on the odometer but the engine has been taken care of and any issue in the regards were always fixed.

List of immediate things it needs;
2 front tires
An alignment.
The steering wheal is busted, its loose and moves around.
The top is shot.
The seats and possible door panels need replaced.
The seat belts are stuck, and its missing random things interior wise. My dad was never big on interior.
The paint is going.

It has upgraded body panels of some kind, the entire rear bumper and ground effects were replaced. He spent 5-10k doing this along with the a new paint job years ago. I do not believe any engine upgrades have occurred. I can do the work myself except the paint. I could absolutely drive it everyday in its current condition if I wanted to. I will take a picture of it when its break time at work. I drove it here without any issues.

What would it cost to change it to a hard top? ( I estimate $500-1500)
What do seats cost?

And ultimately... is a running and poor looking high mileage c4 base convertible worth $5,000?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:05 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by cowrevenge
My dad has a 91 convertible that basically sits in the field in the back yard. It is automatic. He starts it every summer/winter and that's about it. It has 160k miles on the odometer but the engine has been taken care of and any issue in the regards were always fixed.

List of immediate things it needs;
2 front tires
An alignment.
The steering wheal is busted, its loose and moves around.
The top is shot.
The seats and possible door panels need replaced.
The seat belts are stuck, and its missing random things interior wise. My dad was never big on interior.
The paint is going.

It has upgraded body panels of some kind, the entire rear bumper and ground effects were replaced. He spent 5-10k doing this along with the a new paint job years ago. I do not believe any engine upgrades have occurred. I can do the work myself except the paint. I could absolutely drive it everyday in its current condition if I wanted to. I will take a picture of it when its break time at work. I drove it here without any issues.

What would it cost to change it to a hard top? ( I estimate $500-1500)
What do seats cost?

And ultimately... is a running and poor looking high mileage c4 base convertible worth $5,000?
It would cost more than the worth of the car itself... But, if that doesnt matter, no problem. I would estimate around $3500 to $4000. without paint and you doing the work... As far as paint... depends on what level of quality you desire. Paint job can be $1000. Earl Sheib like (Maaco) or a top quality job can be 10 grand...SO I guess $4000. for a decent job that would look good for a few years, then need redone.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:15 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

Do you think $5,000 is too much for it? I can skip the paint job, but I cant skip repairing the top. I don't know anything about vettes. I put a top on an eclipse and it was a nasty job. I don't even like convertibles... so I thought maybe finding a hard top would be easier to install.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

No not worth it. These cars are expensive to bring back;5k gets you one with shiny paint a half decent interior ready to go
Vette only parts can be pricy

Last edited by cv67; 07-11-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:01 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Do you think $5,000 is too much for it? I can skip the paint job, but I cant skip repairing the top. I don't know anything about vettes. I put a top on an eclipse and it was a nasty job. I don't even like convertibles... so I thought maybe finding a hard top would be easier to install.
Yes... too much really in the condition and with the miles you say it has on it. If there is no sentimental value, you can part it out or try to sell it for a couple grand to someone who would part it out.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

Alrighty, I think I will send it back to the grave dad calls a back yard. It can rest in piece next to the various other chevy cars.

Last edited by cowrevenge; 07-11-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

There is more pieces to the outside in storage somewhere. The original painter just did a terrible job.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:31 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Parts car.. :-\
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Parts car.. :-\
Well... It may not be worth the 5k he is asking.... but I certainly wouldn't call it a parts car. Its a perfectly running vehicle. It would be silly to take it apart. Mechanically its 100% sound. He has over 15k in the car, and was trying to be nice by offering it to me for 5k. He had no idea what its real worth was. He has had it for a decent amount of time.

Last edited by cowrevenge; 07-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigDogYoop (07-20-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

If you want the car and it's got some sentimental value, maybe $1K. This is assuming you can do the mechanical work yourself to get it into shape along with the top. Paint can wait but it also looks like there's some body damage. The ground effects kit and spoiler are negatives IMO. If you don't have a place to store it, factor that cost in also.
IMO the car does not have a lot going for it and like I said unless there's some sentimental value to it, you can do a lot better for what this one will cost you to get it into the shape you likely will want it to be.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

If that was my car and my son wanted it, I would just give it to him. That would make more sense than parking it out back for another year or two. Come on dad, cut your son a break!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Well... It may not be worth the 5k he is asking.... but I certainly wouldn't call it a parts car. Its a perfectly running vehicle. It would be silly to take it apart. Mechanically its 100% sound. He has over 15k in the car, and was trying to be nice by offering it to me for 5k. He had no idea what its real worth was. He has had it for a decent amount of time.
And I apologize not trying to be an a$$.. just saying that it's going to take a buttload of money to get that car back into shape even if the engine is perfectly fine. And that amount of money can easily score a good condition car.. or 2.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Look underneath. There will be rust on rust from being parked on grass.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

I am not saying I disagree with you. Its just that any working and driving vette goes for 3k easy here. I am not sure you could part it for that much. Regardless, I already took it back to its forever home on my lunch break.I appreciate everyone's advice.

Last edited by cowrevenge; 07-11-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,803 Posts

It all depends on what your skill level is, and what your condition goals are. Seat covers you could do for 400 if you install yourself. Hardtops don't seem to come up that often, I'd think redoing the top is the more cost effective option. Door panels you could do for a few hundred with good condition used ones.

I wouldn't say he's doing you any favors by selling it to you for 5 grand, but it's not the worst price ever. If you just want to clean it up and have a decent driving car, it's not a bad place to start I'd think. I would just try to get it cheaper.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 PM
cowrevenge
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CA1992C4
If that was my car and my son wanted it, I would just give it to him. That would make more sense than parking it out back for another year or two. Come on dad, cut your son a break!
Well, he would let me drive it anytime I wanted. He likes looking at. Isn't that what a lot of people do with their expensive cars?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:42 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

If you owned this car today parting it out would make more financial sense. Getting it back to a decent driver condition car would cost more than it's value. Creating a negative equity. Parting it out would net some profit.

But having to buy it makes neither a viable option.

So the real question is how much are you willing to spend to fix up your dad's old corvette?

What he spent on it before he left it out to rot has no bearing on it's worth. And offering it to you for $5K is not doing you a favor.

Get notified of new replies

To How much would it take to fix this 91'?

Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Unfortunately he spent a lot of money on a convertible and then left it in a field. So that money was mostly wasted at this point.
From what you have described 1k for the interior allow 1500 misc mechanical. Top, strip and repaint 8k so for 10.5 + the car it will be very nice with 160k powertrain. 160k isn't terrible for a 91.
The problem is you can find a very nice low mileage original with minimal wear for 6-9k if you are patient. If not so patient under 14k
It's not necessarily a parts car but it is a substantial project. It's only going to get worse " sitting on the back 40" It could be cleaned up ,get it sellable and see whats offered 2500 to maybe 4k if it's a good driver. Tires alignment most stuff works valid safety inspection if it applies.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

Is it worth $5000 ? Not to me. Is it worth $5000 to you? Maybe, maybe not. Is it a sure bet that it will probably cost more to "fix" than what it's worth now and even down the road ? Absolutely !!! Is it a shame to just let it sit and deteriorate farther? YES !!! But, if he will let you take it every now and then maybe you could just do little things to improve it. And just think, no more having to come up with birthday, fathers day and Christmas ideas. If anything maybe it will motivate him to drive it more.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Look underneath. There will be rust on rust from being parked on grass.
This! I made the mistake of buying a truck once that had been parked on grass. Super low miles and great condition otherwise, but the underside was rusted awful. I only kept it less than a year because I didn’t want to deal with the rust.

Quick Reply: How much would it take to fix this 91'?