How much was the shifter with the base?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:38 PM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
How much was the shifter with the base?
Hi Turbobuick33,
The shifter was $185 plus $15 shipping. Bill at ZFdoc.com fabricates these from the stock factory shift lever. His workmanship is excellent, and he provides great support to help you through the install. You need to return your lever as a core, but he let me send mine back after I did the install, so I didnít have to pay any deposit. Iím not sure what you mean by the Ďbaseí. Everything in my pictures besides the shift lever itself are all stock components. My shifter is a crash through design (95 and 96 only). The earlier lift-ring style shifters are more expensive. Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 PM
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member

Received 372 Likes on 329 Posts

Nice work
Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 PM
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Oh, it is so good to see my ol gal again. And to know she's getting plenty of TLC.

Truth be known, that car played a role in bringing my wife and me together. I introduced Ami to that black beauty on our second date together.

She loved that car. One Friday while having cocktails and barbecuing, I asked what single thing convinced her to marry me. Without hesitation she said; "The Vette!"

I always drempt (is that a word?) of getting a ZR-1. And, when the opportunity arrived I had to let that black beauty go - couldn't afford the Z unless I traded her in.

Well, the wife loves the Z so much that she had to have one of her own (to go along with her '69 C3 vert, I might add...)
But, that's another story! Still have fond memories of that black 95.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 02-27-2019 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WhiteC1 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:08 PM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Paul,
Rest assured that your Ďol galí is bringing me a great deal of joy! With the short shifter installed, Iím impatiently waiting for a clear, dry day to test it out. If you could hear the exhaust note with the long tube headers and muffler deletes, youíd miss it even more... But Iím sure the ZR-1 is a more than capable upgrade! Maybe one day Iíll head out your way and see if I can talk you into taking me for a spin...

Best Regards,
John
Old 03-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC1 View Post
Paul,
Rest assured that your Ďol galí is bringing me a great deal of joy! With the short shifter installed, Iím impatiently waiting for a clear, dry day to test it out. If you could hear the exhaust note with the long tube headers and muffler deletes, youíd miss it even more... But Iím sure the ZR-1 is a more than capable upgrade! Maybe one day Iíll head out your way and see if I can talk you into taking me for a spin...

Best Regards,
John
Just let me know when, and we can go for pizza and a brew as well!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 PM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Default Short Shifter Update

I'm still putting the car back together, but figured a little update was in order. I reinstalled the radio bezel after repairing a broken off mounting tab. I also measured the shifter throws to compare with my 'before' numbers.

The before numbers for 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 were 5-3/4", measured at the top of the shift lever (no ****). The side to side was 3" (just forward gears, no reverse gate).

With the ZFdoc short shifter, the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 are now 3", and the side to side is 2-1/4".

The shifter feels great, but I haven't got a break in the weather yet to actually drive it... I'm quite certain I'll like it a lot. I installed a round shift ball to see if I like it better than the stock ****.

Here's a picture of the shifter, minus the console.

Regards,
John

Old 03-11-2019, 02:33 PM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

That is a real nice coupe. When I bought my 1995 6-speed, it had muffler eliminators but otherwise stock. The sound outside was great, perfect volume level and a bit of rasp at high RPM. The sound inside was a different story, UGH. I found 2 OEM mufflers at a local shop, installed for $300 out the door. The stock system flows well and this is the best thing I've done to this car. I'm just not one of those people who needs a loud exhaust.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
That is a real nice coupe. When I bought my 1995 6-speed, it had muffler eliminators but otherwise stock. The sound outside was great, perfect volume level and a bit of rasp at high RPM. The sound inside was a different story, UGH. I found 2 OEM mufflers at a local shop, installed for $300 out the door. The stock system flows well and this is the best thing I've done to this car. I'm just not one of those people who needs a loud exhaust.
Thanks for the kind words, DGXR! Maybe the long tube headers change the tone of the noise in my car. I'm not sure how well I'd like it if it was a daily driver, but I love it for my limited usage. I don't notice any drone, and I can still hear the stereo well enough. I was able to go up and down my street yesterday, which allowed me to test out my short shifter for the first time. I really like the way it feels. BIG improvement and well worth the effort to switch it over.

Regards,
John
Old 03-24-2019, 04:55 PM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Default Short Shifter Update

Had a good weekend in the garage. I was able to score a bag of No. 8 glass beads for my sand blast cabinet (for free, actually). I did some work on the cabinet, sealing holes and redoing the glass window. Then I blasted my console per instructions from Joe C (thanks Joe!). After blasting, I reassembled it with my repaired ashtray cover lid hinges, which work perfectly now. Then I sprayed on the Stoners Trim Shine. I'm pretty impressed with how well the finished product matches the radio bezel. I also used some leather cleaner and treatment on the shift boot. Finally, I installed the round, black shift ****.

After I put all the tools away, I went for a short ride to check it out. I'm more than pleased with the way it shifts now. I agree with others who said that it's one of the best upgrades they've done. Can't wait for spring to really get here so I can start enjoying my car!

Regards,
John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1995 Black M6 Coupe

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: