C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 corvette paint job

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Joe C
CF Senior Member

Recieved 509 Likes on 442 Posts

not a C4, but....
cost me about $1000 (in 1990 dollars). from removing the first bit of chrome, to installing the last, and about a year with (part time) labor, my first and only complete repaint. as far as i'm concerned, it's not an art , it's a science.

top pics taken around 2007, about 25 years after the repaint. part of a 3 year rolling restoration.

Last edited by Joe C; 07-23-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:30 AM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

Recieved 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, next time I drive the corvette to Columbus I will get a quote from one of the two Maaco places there and ask them for the base plus clear coat and higher quality sherwin Williams or ppg paint. Then when I decide if I take it to them I will ask them right after I drop it off for them to clean it before it is painted to make sure there is no dirt. But I will do the sanding part. I have seen many other forum members like the ones on this thread with good paint themselves painting it but I just wouldn’t trust myself for that. I would end up spraying it unevenly or too much where it runs plus I don’t have a garage good for that. I will probably end up taking it to Maaco and asking for their better painter to do it too unless I can find someone on here in the Ohio area that would paint it after I sanded it for around the same price as Maaco. When other people have done the sanding prep themselves before taking it to Maaco it seems like they get good results that way.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

So they gave me a quote and said they would be able to do a good job for $1,200 using ppg paint and base coat and clear coat. This paint should last good shouldn’t it since I would make sure I have it sanded down good and remove the spoiler and rear bumper and i the ppg paint good? I told them I wanted ppg or Sherwin Williams because I thought that is the higher quality paint they use.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:06 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

Black like it is now
Old 07-25-2018, 01:05 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

So do you guys think their black ppg base coat clear coat paint would be good or I could ask them how much they would charge to just paint it with paint I bring if you guys know which paint would be best?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:59 PM
v8vette84
CF Senior Member

Recieved 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 CRVET View Post
So they gave me a quote and said they would be able to do a good job for $1,200 using ppg paint and base coat and clear coat. This paint should last good shouldn’t it since I would make sure I have it sanded down good and remove the spoiler and rear bumper and i the ppg paint good? I told them I wanted ppg or Sherwin Williams because I thought that is the higher quality paint they use.
I highly doubt it will be the actual PPG brand. Probably one of their sub brands like Omni. Still decent paint though. I personally used Urekem Paint on my C4. They claim their lead chemists left Dupont or PPG to start their own company with the idea to create quality paints without the insane cost PPG or DuPont charges for their main line products. Most of the cost of PPG or Dupont is fluff like when the hospital overcharges your insurance IMHO. A buddy of mine painted his T/A metallic black with some kind of green flake mixed in (PPG) and the cost of the paint exceeded 1k by itself.

Last edited by v8vette84; 07-25-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

Ok, thanks for all of you guys help making the decision. I will probably end up using the ppg base coat clear coat at Maaco or if it isn’t exactly ppg then whatever they use that’s close to it. I know it isn’t an expensive paint job but I am hoping it can be a good “budget paint job” because I will be sanding all the paint off and a lot of people say Maaco can do a good job if you get their better quality job and do the prep yourself. I will probability putting some pictures on here to make sure I sand the paint off the right way and will probably take the rear bumper cover off because there is a spoiler that will have to come off anyway and that would make that easier for them to do better. But I just wanted to make sure the ppg paint wouldn’t be anything like their 55 gal barrels because I have heard that paint doesn’t last even a year and can’t even take the sun shining on it.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 07-25-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 AM
v8vette84
CF Senior Member

But I just wanted to make sure the ppg paint wouldn’t be anything like their 55 gal barrels because I have heard that paint doesn’t last even a year and can’t even take the sun shining on it.
Well if he told you ppg I would imagine they will use ppg or the omni product. Otherwise he's lying to you and that's illegal. Also sometimes you get what you pay for. I painted my 89' Camaro red and since I sold it it looks like the paint has started to "chalk". Probably could be salvaged for a few years with buffing but it can't take the UV on it. That paint kit was $200 shipped to my door with a gallon of paint/reducer and Clear/activator, paint cups, stir sticks and filters for the paint gun. Yeah...cheap paint. haha Still it did last for at least 2-4 years before starting to look a bit faded or chalky..

Last edited by v8vette84; 07-26-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:13 AM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

Well, I guess at least that way I know mine should last. I might tell them to put an extra coat of clear on too for it to stay better. Haha that is cheap paint, probably got the most out of it you could lasting that long.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 07-26-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:43 AM
v8vette84
CF Senior Member

probably got the most out of it you could lasting that long.
So very true, haha.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:29 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Recieved 1,170 Likes on 1,071 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Would Maaco even allow them to paint cars not using their own paint or would that violate some franchise contract thing?
not sure they would take the risk either....look at some finished cars. Some shops turn out decent work. others not so good
Old 07-26-2018, 11:03 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

I don’t know for sure if they would paint it with other paint or not, I just thought other people had done that. I will ask them for some close up pictures of some of the other cars they have done. Here is some picture they have given me already.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

The last one was after i asked him if that price was for primer too, so I take it he was just showing the primer on the hood.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM
v8vette84
CF Senior Member

Looks like decent work.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 AM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

I was hoping it wasn’t just me thinking that. I will post some close ups they give me and I read reviews that said that shop does a good job. The only one that wasn’t 5 stars was one that said they overpriced something and I’ve never heard that from a Maaco. They even mentioned the person I have been talking to and said they do a good job. I hope mine looks the same as that Monte carlo’s quality of paint, it looks good.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 07-27-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:45 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

The person at Maaco talked with me again today and I asked him if they would do an extra coat of clear and then wet sand and buff it. He said that would be the $2,500 package so I’m not spending that much to get the wet sanding. I should still ask for the extra coat of clear even though it isn’t being wet sanded shouldn’t I? Wouldn’t that protect it better? It will be $1,200 and then probably an extra $300 to get it primed after I sand it down to the fiberglass. I was wanting it to shine the best is why I thought about the wet sanding but just the new paint itself will still have a good shine I figured.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:17 AM
Kdeman1
CF Senior Member

Recieved 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,
i just finished a 87 Vet and I am interested in painting more cars, I'm currently taking classes for auto body respray and paint matching at a community college. I'm not sure on price and I wouldn't want to turn something out that looks bad... 1500 dollars would be difficult, but maybe we could find a way to come to an agreement? I don't work exactly fast, but I have done one vet before. If it hasn't been painted before I could scuff it, prime it, block, and maybe spray it at the colleges shop.

Let let me know if you have any interest.

Thanks,

also here is the one I just finished

QUOTE=85 CRVET;1597705903]
The person at Maaco talked with me again today and I asked him if they would do an extra coat of clear and then wet sand and buff it. He said that would be the $2,500 package so I’m not spending that much to get the wet sanding. I should still ask for the extra coat of clear even though it isn’t being wet sanded shouldn’t I? Wouldn’t that protect it better? It will be $1,200 and then probably an extra $300 to get it primed after I sand it down to the fiberglass. I was wanting it to shine the best is why I thought about the wet sanding but just the new paint itself will still have a good shine I figured.
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Kdeman1
CF Senior Member

I just look at some of the other posts more in depth, I think what you'll find is the car turns out really well with the prep work... such as the sanding and the block sand. That's what makes the difference. If you prep the car, it should be cheap to have the car painted. I would do that very cheap for you at the college(not a pro) but it be basically just material cost and maybe some for my time. Id get a lot out of the learning experience and working on a car style I love. You should wet sand your paint though 100% it really makes a huge difference. It's also a lot of work, but that's where you get the smooth shine. The prep is where I'd and anyone else, would charge you, it's a ton of work and attention to detail. Maybe we could work something out where you do the bulk of it and I go over it for a few hours. I'm in the metro Detroit area, it be a bit of a drive, class doesn't start just yet (that's where I'd have a booth to use) but that give some time to prep the car.

Let me me know if you're interested and maybe we can find a way to get you a cheap paint job that looks nice, and me some experience.

Thanks,
-Kevin
Old 08-03-2018, 12:33 AM
Kdeman1
CF Senior Member

Default Color?

Additional photos of prep, (the not fun stuff)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 AM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

It is black, I couldn’t do it anytime soon because like I said earlier I am saving up money that I get to put toward it next year. I was just starting to think the Maaco job would be good but now I don’t know which would be better. I am planning on sanding all of the paint off, not just scuffing it, over the winter when I have it inside the whole time and won’t be driving it anyway. I am taking all the paint off because it has already been repainted and the paint they repainted it with is chipping off everywhere. About how much would you charge to do the painting and priming with good quality paint and the wet sanding part? Do you do the wet sanding and would you be able to do a good job do you think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 corvette paint job

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: