Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I kill corvettes, but I finally got one worth saving!

Old 07-26-2018, 04:43 PM
hi im adam
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I kill corvettes, but I finally got one worth saving!

After being left three C4 Caracas, half finished hot rods, and a few other headaches I finally bought a Corvette! This time it was road worthy! Last summer I purchased an 85 for a price I couldn't refuse. I wasn't really looking for one, but always wanted to at least drive one. Knowing what I had learned from selling off parts I knew it was a safe buy.
Sadly I had found out it should have been totaled. A mix between the shabby body work and Jerry's fine rigging I would never feel comfortable letting someone drive it down the road. It wasn't worth the time or money as it clearly had been neglected and many things didn't work. I feel like I've perfected the art of cutting up these shells.

I stumbled on a parts or repair ad for a 1984 Corvette. I read the listing and shot an email. I was the 17th email in less than an hour but I was the only one that said I had a truck and a trailer. We talked and I said where I was at and explained I can probably fix anything that is wrong with this if it's a straight car. Life happens and he just couldn't justify keeping it. He had neglected it as little as he could, but it happened. Rather than be a used car salesmen he just wanted to not disappoint anyone. He sent me a text as we where loading it and asked for me to let him know when we're gone so he can open his curtains back up.

After two weeks with her this was my issues and fixes
Spoiler

Today I actually had ran out of things to fix and had spare time. I washed it and started to do wax when I realized I'm in the sun with a nice breeze and working on a nice sun burn. I'm inside cooling off before I go back out to finish.
I'm not a corvette guy, mechanic, or anything special.

WARNING! I'm mid-wax and cooling off! I still need to do windows.

Typically I 'flip' a neglected car once a year and that is my hobby. It keeps me out of the house, keeps me out of trouble, and keeps an otherwise good car on the road. My C10 is one of my dream cars, but this one caught me off guard. I think I'll hold onto this one.
The following users liked this post:
CVG323 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

she looks to be in great shape!
the ZR-1 Wheels make it look really good. love the early C4 with zr1 wheels.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:24 PM
Bckmstr
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks pretty good from those pics
Old 07-27-2018, 02:06 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Hooray for another good save! I hauled my '84 home on a flat bed 14 years ago, and have had fun with it ever since! The guy I bought it from told me, that his mechanic told him that the only thing the car needed was a new timing chain. After looking the car over, I decided that what he needed was a new mechanic! I could see the potential for the car, so we worked out a deal. He was pretty desperate. (He had just paid more for a new paint job than I paid for the car!)

It sounds like you've got a good background, and the car looks nice! Feel free to fire any questions you have at us! There are a lot of great people on this Forum! Find yourself a two volume set of the FSM (Factory Service/Shop Manual).

The following users liked this post:
hi im adam (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 AM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Hooray for another good save! I hauled my '84 home on a flat bed 14 years ago, and have had fun with it ever since! The guy I bought it from told me, that his mechanic told him that the only thing the car needed was a new timing chain. After looking the car over, I decided that what he needed was a new mechanic! I could see the potential for the car, so we worked out a deal. He was pretty desperate. (He had just paid more for a new paint job than I paid for the car!)

It sounds like you've got a good background, and the car looks nice! Feel free to fire any questions you have at us! There are a lot of great people on this Forum! Find yourself a two volume set of the FSM (Factory Service/Shop Manual).

Pics of freshly painted Vette?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
Pics of freshly painted Vette?
This post is supposed to be for Adam, but I'm happy to share!

The following 2 users liked this post by Hot Rod Roy:
CVG323 (07-27-2018), hi im adam (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:28 PM
shazam74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice find!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM
BigDogYoop
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

car looks GOOD, you should break some hearts and post BUY price...(I'm curious)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:03 AM
hi im adam
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BigDogYoop
car looks GOOD, you should break some hearts and post BUY price...(I'm curious)
You got a PM!

Today at the pump I was filling the 57' next to an LT1 mint white C4 and got offered the car for $5k. It's amazing how cheap these beasts are right now. It wasn't hard to turn down as I'm already responsible for four cars and ones my C4, but it defiantly got me thinking.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:59 PM
BigDogYoop
Instructor

[img][/img]

Adam, just got home with Blackie-1/4" dust on her, but in great shape

Old 08-01-2018, 07:44 PM
hi im adam
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BigDogYoop
[img]

Adam, just got home with Blackie-1/4" dust on her, but in great shape
Looks good!!!!

today I got my new TPS in. My 2nd gear doesn’t hesistate anymore. I thought thought for sure it was the trans going out. Lost all idle when warm and the and the CEL came on. Runs like a top now!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:00 AM
BigDogYoop
Instructor

Originally Posted by hi im adam

Looks good!!!!

today I got my new TPS in. My 2nd gear doesn’t hesistate anymore. I thought thought for sure it was the trans going out. Lost all idle when warm and the and the CEL came on. Runs like a top now!
Good Deal for you, I'm heading to garage to install low fan temp kit w/180 t-stat-and lower switch (195 on 180 off), my fan is not kicking on (switch and pigtail burnt out. Put 4 new shocks on yesterday, cleans up decent.

Get notified of new replies

To I kill corvettes, but I finally got one worth saving!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I kill corvettes, but I finally got one worth saving!