C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I have become a swerver!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:26 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
What part of NE Ohio ? Around where I live, Norton, you can tell the city limits by the roads. Norton roads are notoriously bad. There will be a line where you cross the city limits. Same as Akron roads. They are horrible.
Youngstown - not that far away - the only time I see any distinction like that comes to snow - usually city is well plowed and salted - main streets only of course - suburbs marginal at best. used to be 224 was smooth which was nice for super nat's cruisin'. but not anymore - cruising is the only safe speed so as not to jar your brains loose. The road guy was actually on the news this past year saying that they were going to take longer on some repairs, do less per year but do them better? I thought shouldn't you have been doing that all along?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a big debate going on now regarding how to deal with this. It was either Oregon or Washington State that was thinking about putting GPS units in cars and charging a per mile driven tax on each licensed vehicle.
How much will that cost? Sounds like the money might be better spent on fixing the roads!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Though not quite that "****" local lower NY roads have plenty of such "hazards" to be avoided. Considering the high gas tax it's really pathetic.
King cuomo's favorite past time is to take money allotted for infrastructure and use it for his pet projects like the buffalo billions... We all know how that turned out...

One side effect of cars getting better mileage per gallon is that the amount of highway taxes collected goes down (unless the per gallon amount of taxes dedicated for roads is increased). Add in the effect of people driving less when the price per gallon of fuel increases, then there is just less money for infrastructure improvement.

There is a big debate going on now regarding how to deal with this. It was either Oregon or Washington State that was thinking about putting GPS units in cars and charging a per mile driven tax on each licensed vehicle.
I saw this before and I think some of it is fluff, plenty of cars out there get bad gas mileage. Overall the average is deff higher but I feel it's a talking point for politicians. They raid the state highway funds all the time then blame the high MPG vehicles. Just an excuse to raise the gas tax over and over again...

I drive 40k-80k a year for my business. I calculated how much I would spent if they went to a mileage system (I used whatever the article said the "test rate" was) and it was around $10,000 extra a year... That's ludicrous...
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

Just made a trip to Detroit this last weekend to go to an Indians/Tigers game. HOW DO YOU CLOSE A MAJOR INTERSTATE?? At least in OH they try to reroute the roads if it's going to be down for any period of time. What a pain, it added a lot of time to the trip because parts of I-75 were closed in either direction. I too have memorized the route to work in Columbus and do the "ballet" game and have seen several people behind me following my path, especially when I'm in a nice looking 'vette. They go "He must know something and wants to protect his car, so I'm following him" routine. Smart people...
Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Vaporboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put higher side wall profile tires on my C4 in an effort to help the rims out - it has helped the ride and doesn't rub anywhere so I'm really happy with it. It won't be a cure all but it seems to help.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:32 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I do try to avoid potholes and manhole covers wherever possible, but remember it's only a matter of time before one catches us off guard. Kinda like parking lot scratches and "normal use" stuff like that... you can't avoid them 100% of the time, forever.

I hit a nasty pothole with my LF tire a few months ago, I was cruising interstate speeds and it rocked the whole car... it was bad enough that it may have damaged the cords in one of my brand new tires, but there haven't been any vibrations or other symptoms, just a very nasty hit. GAH! The wheel looks OK but does anyone know if a balancing or professional inspection will reveal pothole damage to the tire?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I work off Mound in Warren.. Easily the worst road in metro Detroit. I swerve across several lanes in the morning when traffic is light to avoid the craters
The following users liked this post:
RIC96 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmcol
HOW DO YOU CLOSE A MAJOR INTERSTATE??
I was going through Mobile AL one Saturday (Pulling a 32ft 5th wheel) and they shut down I-10 for a funeral procession. Came around the ramp and a cop was blocking the road.

Last edited by belairbrian; 07-30-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 AM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmcol
Just made a trip to Detroit this last weekend to go to an Indians/Tigers game. HOW DO YOU CLOSE A MAJOR INTERSTATE?? At least in OH they try to reroute the roads if it's going to be down for any period of time. What a pain, it added a lot of time to the trip because parts of I-75 were closed in either direction. I too have memorized the route to work in Columbus and do the "ballet" game and have seen several people behind me following my path, especially when I'm in a nice looking 'vette. They go "He must know something and wants to protect his car, so I'm following him" routine. Smart people...
It gets even better... there is 20+ miles of I-696 WB that has been COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN (4 lanes) since April.. I live 6 miles from work, takes me 8 minutes in the morning and 30 to get home!
Old 08-02-2018, 01:12 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Illinois roads .... nuff said. I brush up on my slalom skills every drive

Quick Reply: I have become a swerver!