Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Kart build. Another one................

Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 AM
w650gb500

It’s moving along, but I haven’t updated much here. The metal fabrication is complete and the aluminum interior panels are done as well. Unfortunately I have to put the project on hold for a month or so. I have a house in FL that I need to finish and get on the market, so there won’t be any more progress for 4-6 weeks.

Passenger footwell/firewall.

Drivers footwell/firewall.

Wilwood pedal assembly.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 AM
w650gb500

Interior aluminum panels cut, fit, drilled and bead rolled.

Tunnel and dash. Will have a tach, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, volts and front/rear brake pressure gauges.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM
w650gb500

I waited until all of the interior fabrication was done before finishing off the rollcage because I didn’t want to have to keep crawling over the bars. The side intrusion bars(can’t call them door bars if there are no doors) are done as well as the windshield and “roof” bar. There might be a few more small braces added at some point, but for now it’s done.

Last edited by w650gb500; 02-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 AM
w650gb500

I pulled the motor and was getting ready to sent it off to the engine builder. I tore it down first and was a bit disappointed to find that it was a 2-bolt block, had 5.7” rods and a cast crank. Since I want to build a 500hp motor, we decided not to use any of the bottom end. Instead, I had an old “010” 4-bolt block that will be prepped and used for this build. The good news is that the heads are Dart Pro 1’s and in excellent shape, so atleast I have a pair of good flowing aluminum heads and valves. It also has Pro Comp 1.6 roller rockers and 3/8” studs. Unfortunately for my wallet, the engine builder wants to use 7/16” screw-in studs because of the extended high RPM nature of a road race motor, so those will be put on a shelf for later use. A lightweight rotating assembly needs to be purchased with 6” rods and lightweight pistons. I wanted to do a de-stroked 327 or 302ci build for the extra RPM, but the engine builder is telling me that a stroker 383 will make more power and torque while not working nearly as hard. I just think that an 8000rpm V-8 sounds glorious, but it’s all about performance at this point.

Thats it for now. I hope you guys enjoy the pictures and please feel free to comment/criticize on what you see. I love hearing people’s feedback and opinions no matter what you think of the progress so far.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by w650gb500; 02-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM
2LZ
CF Senior Member

Awesome build! Can't wait to see some video of the finished product.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM
w650gb500

I forgot to add one very important picture. My brother stopped by the shop to have something welded and during our conversation about the car, he asked what it weighed. I had no idea, so we decided to grab the scales and see where the diet is at this point of the build.

I put a brake brake rotor and caliper on top of each tire, put the driveshaft on top of the tunnel, drivers seat and threw all of the pieces that will eventually go in the car into a box on the passenger floor. Now, there is no radiator or plumbing, just the current stuff that I have.

Anyone care to guess on the weight as it sits currently? I’m going to guess that everyone is several hundred pounds off as I was.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Byron Curtis

Glorious !! Ha ha! I hate to say it, but our builds are extremely similar. I built a 500hp 383 for mine that's about to go in. I didn't get as extreme on the door bars, but I don't plan on any racing but time trial stuff. Mine is more or less just a hot rod, but I did quite a bit in setting it up nicely with weight bias, suspension, drivetrain. I didn't skip over any of that. My cage is 1.75x.120 but it's really not very heavy. I only have 150' or so into it. I really dig the interior you are making. It looks great. You gave yourself a ton of room too. Less wasted space it looks like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kart build. Another one................

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: