Strange happenings....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Strange happenings....

All--

My car, and '89 coupe, has been out of service for the past 9 months while I dealt with some issues. Everything worked great when I put it in the garage. Now I have no interior lights, the HVAC Controller is blank and non-functional, and there are no lights on the factory Stereo.

On top of all of this the DVD drive on my laptop isn't working so I cannot access my FSM, to consult the trouble shooting section. There has to be something common to all. All of my fuses test good with my multimeter, and confirmed visually, What is the common link between them all, and how do I fix this.

Thanks in advance

D.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:55 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Recheck the CTSY/CLK Fuse.

Does the Inst panel & DIC light up with Ign On?
If you pop the hatch do the hatch lights come On?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Let's start with the basics and branch out from there: Let's just hope you don't have a rodent problem...the little bastards have KILLED more than one of my cars at different times!

FUEL-AIR-SPARK

For starters, what is the battery voltage between the terminals with the ignition ON? Anything less than 11.2 volts, and the battery is drained and must be recharged. Amazing what a difference that might make! Anyway - a good place to start (so to speak).
Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Let's start with the basics and branch out from there: Let's just hope you don't have a rodent problem...the little bastards have KILLED more than one of my cars at different times!

FUEL-AIR-SPARK

For starters, what is the battery voltage between the terminals with the ignition ON? Anything less than 11.2 volts, and the battery is drained and must be recharged. Amazing what a difference that might make! Anyway - a good place to start (so to speak).
Paul--

The car starts within seconds of turning the key, Voltage across the posts are 12.2, and I have the car wired for a trickle charger which is connected when not being driven. The car runs and drives great! no misses, hiccups, or roughness, the clutch and 6 sp are perfect, headlights, tail lights, all WORK, it's just the interior 'courtesy' lights, and Electronic HVAC Control panel, and there are no lights visible on the factory radio.

thanks
D

Last edited by Need A Vette; 08-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Recheck the CTSY/CLK Fuse.

Does the Inst panel & DIC light up with Ign On?
If you pop the hatch do the hatch lights come On?
So '65Z, in answer to your questions...
The CTSY / CLK Fuse is good, checked it with meter, and visually the connection is intact.
Does the Inst panel and DIC light up with Ign On? YES, all lights on dash, and DIC are operating correctly
If I pop the hatch do the hatch lights come on? NO, there are no interior lights that illuminate.

D.

Last edited by Need A Vette; 08-12-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

C'mon guys help a guy out...I'm dead in the water here, so to speak

D.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM
lrj975
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

All those components are on a single fuse, and also the 2 lights when hood is open.

That fuse is top left. Pull that one again. test it again, replace it.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by lrj975
All those components are on a single fuse, and also the 2 lights when hood is open.

That fuse is top left. Pull that one again. test it again, replace it.
I checked all fuses with a multimeter, as well as checked them visually, all is good, as far as my underhood lights, they've never worked, and I still have to address them

D.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Okay I think it's my Interior Light Delay Module... Any suggestions as to how to replace this? if it's even available. Saw a vid on YouTube it looks like it's hardwired, is it? Anyone out there ever had to replace this before?
Old 08-13-2018, 12:51 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
Okay I think it's my Interior Light Delay Module... Any suggestions as to how to replace this? if it's even available. Saw a vid on YouTube it looks like it's hardwired, is it? Anyone out there ever had to replace this before?

i replaced one on my 88. Bought a used one off Eb**. About $25. Located on passenger side behind the breadbox. I slid the top of the dash off and reached down and replaced it. Got some battle scars on my wrist.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:00 PM
twichy2011
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a fuse box located under the passenger kick panel If it is similar to the 92. Not sure if there was any differences there. On my 92 i believe there is a fuse that can effect that. It is kinda hard to get to.

Good Luck!

Connor
Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by skyhawk50

i replaced one on my 88. Bought a used one off Eb**. About $25. Located on passenger side behind the breadbox. I slid the top of the dash off and reached down and replaced it. Got some battle scars on my wrist.
Okay, Now how do you pull the dash pad...I have an FSM but I can't get to it because my DVD drive crapped out on my laptop!
Old 08-13-2018, 02:13 PM
twichy2011
Instructor

Here is another lead on fuse locations. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-1988-a.html
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by twichy2011
Here is another lead on fuse locations. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-1988-a.html
Will Check those when I have the dash pulled apart, this I'm really not looking forward too...though I am going to get a flat panel to replace that stupid breadbox, what in the hell was GM thinking. But thanks for the information. And other possibilities it could be besides the light delay module?

D.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
Would the Interior Light Delay Module also effect the HVAC panel, and the lights on the stereo? I wouldn't think so, but I don't have access to my FSM...

Thanks

D.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 PM
twichy2011
Instructor

I really don't think it is your light delay module. Does the power point work? If it doesn't I can almost guarantee you that a fuse it the culprit.

Connor
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Buy a printed FSM....
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by twichy2011
I really don't think it is your light delay module. Does the power point work? If it doesn't I can almost guarantee you that a fuse it the culprit.

Connor
Okay Twitchy, you have me rethinking this, What Power Point are you referring too? The lighter outlet in the cabin? I have 12V to the Fuse Block, I have 12V, across ALL FUSES, and have visually confirmed each fuse. Where am I going wrong?

D.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange happenings....

Quick Reply: Strange happenings....