C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

low oil pressure after pressure switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 PM
1984GRNvet
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure after pressure switch replacement

I own a 84 c4 vette with about 76000 miles on it and we had a problem with high oil pressure maxing out. I put a short oil filter on and did little research and found that this could spike the pressure. I bought a wix long filter and still had high pressure. Then did more research and wound up replacing the oil pressure switch. When I took the old one out there was oil in the electrical connection side. I wiped all that out and the spot where it screws back into. I put the new one in and started it up the pressure was good around 40-50psi. After diving it for about 10-15 miles the pressure started dropping 15,12,10, and then 8 the warning light came on. The light changed I gave it gas it went back between 30-45psi. My question is why am I losing oil pressure still? Is there more then one oil pressure switch or sensors that could be at fault? The car was running good no skips or hesitation. THANKS 1984GRNvet
Old 08-12-2018, 07:52 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984GRNvet
I own a 84 c4 vette with about 76000 miles on it and we had a problem with high oil pressure maxing out. I put a short oil filter on and did little research and found that this could spike the pressure. I bought a wix long filter and still had high pressure. Then did more research and wound up replacing the oil pressure switch. When I took the old one out there was oil in the electrical connection side. I wiped all that out and the spot where it screws back into. I put the new one in and started it up the pressure was good around 40-50psi. After diving it for about 10-15 miles the pressure started dropping 15,12,10, and then 8 the warning light came on. The light changed I gave it gas it went back between 30-45psi. My question is why am I losing oil pressure still? Is there more then one oil pressure switch or sensors that could be at fault? The car was running good no skips or hesitation. THANKS 1984GRNvet
A new oil presure switch will read slightly different than the one you replaced. You will need to drive for a bit until you can get used to it. Your engine will not run different from just changing the switch--- just read differently.

So, if you are concerned, swap your switch for another one. Or if you are real concerned, measure your oil pressure and make sure you have enough.

I bet you are good.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

I had a similar experience when replacing the Oil Level Sensor switch attached to the side of the oil pan. My mechanic replaced the old sensor (just cause it looked old/original) when I had the oil pan pulled for a new gasket. I started to get a Low Oil light at first start every day. I had to have the "new" sensor switch replaced with another new one to get rid of the problem. Never figured out why it did this. You just might have to replace the oil pressure switch/part again.

Get notified of new replies

To low oil pressure after pressure switch replacement

Quick Reply: low oil pressure after pressure switch replacement