C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Let's talk Optisparks. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

First, at least one of the coil pack conversions still uses the opti for it's signal generator. So, the two parts of the opti that can fail; the bearing and the optical sensor....are still responsible for making the system work.

Second, for the price of the conversion, you can buy about 10 opti's. 10 Opti's of any brand will last you a long, long time.
The following users liked this post:
RandomTask (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
First, at least one of the coil pack conversions still uses the opti for it's signal generator. So, the two parts of the opti that can fail; the bearing and the optical sensor....are still responsible for making the system work.

Second, for the price of the conversion, you can buy about 10 opti's. 10 Opti's of any brand will last you a long, long time.
Right, and I am with you on that! However, I almost got killed pushing my 94' into a parking lot on US19 in Palm Harbor, FL. LOL!! Opti completley conked out, no starting even after cool down. So if I can do anything at all to try and help prevent that from happening again, even if it cost me a $500 and the price of10 optisparks, I'm doing it.

Since my LTCC Conversion I have had many road trips and time with the car and no opti problems (installed January of 2015). I could have been just fine with the Petris opti, but I am sure the LTCC is helping by removing the Ozone and spark from the equation.

I get all sides, do what works best for you.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Corp Z
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the PETRIS opti for my 94 which included a vacuum line upgrade. Following the install it ran flawlessly on a 13 hr road trip to Bowling Green and 25 laps around the track plus the 13 hours home. That was 2 years ago and it still runs like a top. The OEM lasted a long time however the the corrosion on the cap had turned everything green and the plastic on the inside was disintegrating.

https://petrisenterprises.com/
Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94

I get all sides, do what works best for you.
Totally. I agree.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Totally. I agree.
Absolutely what ever works for you. These opti-spark threads on who thinks what's best will continue as long as these cars are still on the road.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

Well, since we are giving personal opinions I vote for Optidoctor. Mine runs perfect. Dan
Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Well, since we are giving personal opinions I vote for Optidoctor. Mine runs perfect. Dan
Pretty much all we have to go by is personal experiences shared. For how long and how many miles? My $97 AIP runs perfect too. So did my $350 Petris. Until it didn't.

From what I've read and experienced there are two kinds of Optisparks. Those that have died, and those that are about to. No matter how much you pay.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Renfield
Pretty much all we have to go by is personal experiences shared. For how long and how many miles? My $97 AIP runs perfect too. So did my $350 Petris. Until it didn't.

From what I've read and experienced there are two kinds of Optisparks. Those that have died, and those that are about to. No matter how much you pay.
Yes, you are correct they all have a lifespan. The reason I like Brad's units are the fact that Brad puts them together and he knows what he is looking at. He bead blasts the base and installs a new bearing. He knows how to check for a warped reluctor disc, knows how to check the bearing fit, knows how to clean the Mistubusi sensor, uses the best quality rotor and cap and knows how to loctite the screws and he uses some high quality sealant on the cap. He then tests each unit. This is all opposed to some chinese chap who is putting something together that he has no clue what it even is.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Yes, you are correct they all have a lifespan. The reason I like Brad's units are the fact that Brad puts them together and he knows what he is looking at. He bead blasts the base and installs a new bearing. He knows how to check for a warped reluctor disc, knows how to check the bearing fit, knows how to clean the Mistubusi sensor, uses the best quality rotor and cap and knows how to loctite the screws and he uses some high quality sealant on the cap. He then tests each unit. This is all opposed to some chinese chap who is putting something together that he has no clue what it even is.
I wish paying more was a guarantee of longevity.

As I said, Chris Petris has a pretty solid rep. He has been selling replacements for over 6 years. He's in Alabama, not china. I installed one of his units Sept. 2016, and it failed (first tow) March 2018 after less than 10K miles.

All the best to Brad. I hope he proves over time to be the go-to answer for our Optispark woes.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I don't know the quality of Petris's units. They could be just as good or better than Brad's. I just don't know.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 PM
C4Newb
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi all, new to the forum. Bought my first corvette in March off the used car lot of a local Honda dealer. It had a new opti, a new "ignition module" under the coil and a new water pump, so they were chasing a no start or driveability problem. They seemed anxious to see the car go, so I got a good deal, at least I think so on a '96 CE 6 speed with 78k miles. It ran great every day until just now when it the the low res code one day and died completely the next. Disassembly reveals a Taiwan opti with no mechanical issues (it was all still torqued together and in one piece) so it appears to be just a sensor failure. It was dry and clean inside and the WP was not leaking. I have ordered a replacement OEM unit from the Opti Doctor.
My question is this: Since the ignition module thing under the coil is obviously a replacement too, and probably of dubious quality, do I have any concerns about it fouling up my new opti? I have purchased the FSM and I can't see where it would but want to be sure.
Thanks, and thanks for a great forum, I have gotten a tremendous amount of info and bought parts from the FS section already. I look forward to when I have something to contribute to the discussion.....
Old 08-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by C4Newb
H
My question is this: Since the ignition module thing under the coil is obviously a replacement too, and probably of dubious quality, do I have any concerns about it fouling up my new opti?
No. They are not connected/related.

The opti tells the ECM, "now, now, now, now..." and also which cylinder is at TDC. The ICM is basically a relay that grounds the ignition coil when the ECM tells it to.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Might want to check what they used between the ICM and the mount. it is supposed to be heat sink compound/paste. if they were throwing parts at it they may have used dielectric grease or who knows what.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4Newb
Hi all, new to the forum. Bought my first corvette in March off the used car lot of a local Honda dealer. It had a new opti, a new "ignition module" under the coil and a new water pump, so they were chasing a no start or driveability problem. They seemed anxious to see the car go, so I got a good deal, at least I think so on a '96 CE 6 speed with 78k miles. It ran great every day until just now when it the the low res code one day and died completely the next. Disassembly reveals a Taiwan opti with no mechanical issues (it was all still torqued together and in one piece) so it appears to be just a sensor failure. It was dry and clean inside and the WP was not leaking. I have ordered a replacement OEM unit from the Opti Doctor.
My question is this: Since the ignition module thing under the coil is obviously a replacement too, and probably of dubious quality, do I have any concerns about it fouling up my new opti? I have purchased the FSM and I can't see where it would but want to be sure.
Thanks, and thanks for a great forum, I have gotten a tremendous amount of info and bought parts from the FS section already. I look forward to when I have something to contribute to the discussion.....
Won't foul it up, but it could fail. Autozone can test it for you.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Optisparks. . .