Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

30 days of automatic insurance coverage is just about the norm every where I have ever lived...

Buy a new car on a Friday night and your insurance agency isnt open until Monday? How do you insure the car? You provide proof of your current insurance and the dealer lets you take the car home. I CANT BELIEVE New York would be any different...
Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
How insured? By who?
Government insurance. They insure all vehicles for the minimum when you buy plates. They also administer to all damage claims. They operate a government salvage which takes possession of all writeoffs.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:14 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hope2
this is in response to arbee post.

Not true. Lots of times the title is way behind the purchase. Cars are bought every day like this, and they are insured.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you say you are replying to my post. Am I correct that you are trying to tell me how MY insurance system works?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I guarantee that won't work out for you in NY. And on top, if you can't produce an insurance card for that vehicle, it will be towed and you'll lose your license for awhile starting at that time when the PEO confiscates it.
I could't live there...
Old 08-16-2018, 02:47 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
Correct me if I am wrong, but you say you are replying to my post. Am I correct that you are trying to tell me how MY insurance system works?
didn't realize "here" was Canada. What a terrible system, big government sucks, imop.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hope2
didn't realize "here" was Canada. What a terrible system, big government sucks, imop.
Matter of opinion I guess. How is your health care premiums may I ask!

Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Old 08-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

We pay one way, you pay another
Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I wanted to pick the brains of those who have done out of state private purchases of their cars and how that went. First time private purchase opportunity and out of state no less...I'm in Florida and I've got a Vette I'm looking at in Georgia over the weekend. Guy seems nice enough from the phone conversation and the price is better than expected if the car checks out. That part isn't the issue more than the hoops to jump through getting this process completed. Here's what I've been pondering:

1) The owner stated the title is still under lien with the bank he used to finance the purchase. Once I have the funds, it's a matter of a trip to his bank to pay off the loan. An area I was confused by would be the DMV is not open during the weekend, and the weekend is the only time I can get away from work to go. Would the bank most likely have the title in their possession to turn over to the owner who then signs over to me? Also, the owner is saying "cash only" as he was honest over the phone saying he doesn't know me and anyone can bring a fake cashier check for the amount. Well, that's a two way street when it comes to these kinds of transactions...I don't know him either. I'm still leaning towards the cashier check route because 1) it can be tracked, replaced if lost or stolen...cash cannot be 2) We can make the trip to his bank and cash it since a cashier check is guaranteed cash. Let me know how you dealt with cash only requests. Even if no one knows I have it on my possession, I don't feel comfortable having thousands of dollars of cash on hand..
When I buy out of state, I pay a deposit as a good faith gesture. We meet at a cop shop or something public and crowded in the daytime. I paypal or wire transfer the money. Oh wait. You want cash only and have a lien on the car? Let me sample the crack in the trunk first. Sorry. I'm not so desperate and stupid for the cr that I am going to skew it all in your favor. Yes, he is right. I can print up a fake cashier's check. When I owned a check cashing business, we encountered a few of them. Even when the bank verifies it, it isn't safe since it could be a copy of the real check which he could cash 10 minutes after you hand money over to him and before you find out. So you deposit it and you will find out a few days later it was a fake and you are screwed.

Here is how I deal with cash only requests. NFW would I give you a dollar before I verified that the title is clean so if you can only make it on a weekend, pass. I want to check lien holder status just BEFORE money changes hands. In fact, we meet at the DMV and we check it together.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The difference here is that you don't pre-buy your insurance and then produce the document as proof. I go to the plate issuers, produce bill of sale, pay my money and they issue a plate. NOW I am insured when I have the plate in my hand - not before. Any additional coverage is purchased subsequent to obtaining plates.
In WI, I go buy a car and the clock starts ticking. 30 days later, it isn't insured anymore so I have that long to get the title to me and insurance formally started. In the meantime, I am insured or at least that is the way I understand it from my agent.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

That and he's a deputy sheriff so...not gonna happen. DMV website even says once the car is signed over, previous owner's plates come off at that time. I get that it's a loophole to get a vehicle back somewhere the quickest way but not gonna happen in this case.
We have had crooked cops before so one who knows the law is even worse since they know the loopholes.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I was referring to post 23 where they said plate stays with vehicle
Sorry, I didn't see this before. Yes post 23 was me.

As I mentioned the rules are different in different states. Here in Washington the plate does indeed stay with the vehicle. The plate does not reflect ownership of the vehicle nor does it reflect insurance coverage. In our state the registration indicates ownership and a seperate insurance ID card indicates proof of insurance. Here the actual title for the car has a half page perforated attachment that the seller must detach and send in to the DOL within 5 business days of the sale. They don't want the plate.

Here when you get stopped by a LEO they generally ask for 3 things: 1) your driver license 2) a copy of the vehicles' registration 3) a 2" x 3" insurance card that indicates that you not only have insurance but that the coverage is current. Here we get new insurance ID cards every 6 months.

I've lived in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania prior to moving to Washington 20 years ago. The rules are a little different in many places

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 08-17-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:51 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Hope the car lives up to your standards!!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Hope the car lives up to your standards!!
Hope he doesn't get screwed up the butt would be my hope. Give you money and the title is not clean and HOPE you will go pay it off and give me the papers? Sorry, I'm not that desperate and stupid to believe in supposed cops or people in general. Guy supposedly doesn't trust the OP enough to take any risk so why is the OP wanting the car so bad he will take risks?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Little follow up as I'm crashing in Georgia overnight and heading back to Florida tomorrow. The owner of the car was super easy to talk to. Car is a white 91 ZR-1 with dual tops and a corsa exhaust system. He also has a Haibeck chip in and from what he told me keeps the secondaries open all the time. The wheels are natural finish factory A molds with the deep lug rear wheels. Engine looked great for the mileage, no leaks. We took the car out with owner driving first. He wasn't shy about ripping it up to about 6,000 rpm and through the Corsa exhaust this thing sounds fantastic. I hopped in the driver seat and drove like a grandma compared to him (not my car yet) and it felt good. Car needs a little work and not in a bad way at all. I did not want to leave the car.

I left him a cash deposit so he knows I'm not a tire kicker and we worked out a time next weekend to meet at a bank near him in GA to get him the cash and it's to his bank to get the title. At that point I'm having the car shipped to me in an enclosed transport and he's perfectly fine with it staying there until transporter comes to get it. Tires are okay to putz around on where I live for a bit but I don't trust them on a four hour trip when I have to drive through several bands of rain storms. They'll definitely need to be replaced soon. So in a few weeks the car should be in the garage.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:53 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

So in a few weeks the car should be in the garage.
Excellent! So next time no "grandma driving," huh?
Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Hell yeah man, congrats!!

Get notified of new replies

To Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice

Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

If and when he gets a clear title and it goes through. I count my chickens AFTER they are hatched, grown up, sold and money is in my hands

Last edited by aklim; 08-18-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:52 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
If and when he gets a clear title and it goes through. I count my chickens AFTER they are hatched, grown up, sold and money is in my hands
I hear you. I just get excited easily
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Excellent! So next time no "grandma driving," huh?
Considering I've wanted one for over 20 years, I should be saying grandma driving is just fine. But there will be some high rpm shifts for the exhaust note. Not a quite car with the Corsas on there.

Thanks! Full on celebration happens when it's being unloaded into the garage. Long couple of weeks coming up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice