C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need a new top for an 86

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:27 AM
C4lover2000
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need a new top for an 86

The back plastic window has yellowed on me Unfortunetly. Does anybody what would the best way to handle reinstalling a new top to it. From my knowledge you can't you just unstuck the window from the top or do you need to replace the whole thing in on go?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is little advice, other will tell you most likely something different.

The the window is yellow, it will never come back from the dead, it's toast. There might be a good upholstery shop usually don't want to reinstall the window, with no warranty, and want to replace it. They don't carry with plastic window in stock, and have to make it, and good chance it won't take, and fall apart quickly. If it was in good conditions you might have a chance.

Your cars top is 1986 and is ready for replacement, I wouldn't advice to go with glass window, you will loose storage space when the top is down, cause it has to fold certain way, and you will need a conversion kit, and have shop know's how to install it properly, otherwise the glass with crack.

What I did with my 89, I went to local Chevrolet dealership, and asked who does there tops, cause there tech's don't have the knowledge they sub contract it out.

I then went to there upholstery shop, to ask questions, cost, and one recommendation they told me was to replace the liner, while they do the top replacement, it's also old, and brittle.

You might ask if what there cost for a top, or shop around and purchase your own, lot of venders sell tops.

The leading vender of the top off my head would be Al, his staff is knowledgeable and he is leading vender when it comes to Corvette upholstery.

http://www.alknochinteriors.com

Good luck, do your homework well, and you might want ask your local Corvette Club in the area for help cause someone is going though what you are right now.

Save The Wave

Last edited by 1bdvet; 08-16-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 AM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Glass Back Window

I had the same problem and replaced mine with a '94 top. Bought the whole kit from Eckler's and had a local shop do the install. I also replaced the rubber all around the top at the same time. The entire job including the top cost me $1,200. That was in 1999. No problems whatsoever. Also had them install snaps to replace the velcro on the sides. As far as loosing space, if you need the space take your SUV.

Last edited by Pres712; 08-17-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
Here is little advice, other will tell you most likely something different.

The the window is yellow, it will never come back from the dead, it's toast. There might be a good upholstery shop usually don't want to reinstall the window, with no warranty, and want to replace it. They don't carry with plastic window in stock, and have to make it, and good chance it won't take, and fall apart quickly. If it was in good conditions you might have a chance.

Your cars top is 1986 and is ready for replacement, I wouldn't advice to go with glass window, you will loose storage space when the top is down, cause it has to fold certain way, and you will need a conversion kit, and have shop know's how to install it properly, otherwise the glass with crack.

What I did with my 89, I went to local Chevrolet dealership, and asked who does there tops, cause there tech's don't have the knowledge they sub contract it out.

I then went to there upholstery shop, to ask questions, cost, and one recommendation they told me was to replace the liner, while they do the top replacement, it's also old, and brittle.

You might ask if what there cost for a top, or shop around and purchase your own, lot of venders sell tops.

The leading vender of the top off my head would be Al, his staff is knowledgeable and he is leading vender when it comes to Corvette upholstery.

http://www.alknochinteriors.com

Good luck, do your homework well, and you might want ask your local Corvette Club in the area for help cause someone is going though what you are right now.

Save The Wave

One other thing with the glass top you would have to build a custom circuit and switch to control the rear window defogger. PO put a glass window ragtop on mine and I never did figure out the defogger.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:07 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rharker

One other thing with the glass top you would have to build a custom circuit and switch to control the rear window defogger. PO put a glass window ragtop on mine and I never did figure out the defogger.
When I had my top replaced with glass, big mistake, cause I lost space when the top was down that folding chair, was hard to put back there, but now to the rear defroster.

Your control head has the last button for defrost, and if you lift the carpet and insulation by the drivers seat belt housing, in pull the carpet away from the wheel well, you find the connections to connect the rear window defroster. The wires are there, easy to find, two wires not connected to anything, those are the wires for the rear defroster.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:30 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
When I had my top replaced with glass, big mistake, cause I lost space when the top was down that folding chair, was hard to put back there, but now to the rear defroster.

Your control head has the last button for defrost, and if you lift the carpet and insulation by the drivers seat belt housing, in pull the carpet away from the wheel well, you find the connections to connect the rear window defroster. The wires are there, easy to find, two wires not connected to anything, those are the wires for the rear defroster.
Control head? The only wires back there are from the window ... disconnected. Don't you need a time delay switch? I think mine was meant for an 1989 and I have an 1986 with mechanical hvac controls.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

U.S. Air Force
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rharker
Control head? The only wires back there are from the window ... disconnected. Don't you need a time delay switch? I think mine was meant for an 1989 and I have an 1986 with mechanical hvac controls.
I had no delay in 1989, the wires I saw when I bought the car, and in 1998 replaced the top with glass, and just plugged them in, and truly loved it, only used couple times, but it worked.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 08-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a new top for an 86

Quick Reply: Need a new top for an 86