C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Engine runs poorly at coolant temps of 205+

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:30 PM
MarkItZero
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine runs poorly at coolant temps of 205+

My car is a 92 coupe with an auto trans. About 77k miles.

The car runs fine at lower temperatures, whether driven normal or hard. When the engine temps ride to 205 and especially anytime they are over 215 the car just doesn't run well. It's not overheating but the engine will hesitate, lag and even occasionally die when the temps are up and you try to drive it like a vette. I have no codes and my trans guy test drove the car and had the same experience but stated it is not transmission related. He suggested it might be fuel related? But he wasn't really sure.

Is it possible this could be related to the ASR? When I attempt to pull codes module 1 and 4 come up clear but module 9 (ASR) reads err.

So what could this be and what should I do to fix it? I'm not sure it is related to fuel issues, ASR or opti... Any help would be appreciated .
Old 08-20-2018, 10:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

How is the fuel pressure? Does the regulator hold pressure? How is the spark? Are the wires leaking? Let's start with that especially when it is occuring. I'd definitely toss the O2 sensor if it has over 5 years regardless of what I find. Also if you have Multec injectors, toss them regardless since you will be limited to 100% gas. Right now, I can go where I want to fill up and not be hamstrung by the ethanol killing the injectors.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 PM
MarkItZero
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a street car and California smog legal. I need it to stay that way
Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkItZero
This is a street car and California smog legal. I need it to stay that way
Better designed injectors won't get the greenie weenies' panties in a bunch. Nothing I suggested is going to cause smog issues. The injectors you have were not designed with Ethanol and that will eat at the windings so it will die sooner or later and this might be a symptom. So if they are Multec, even if it were my car in the nutland, I'd still change it.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine runs poorly at coolant temps of 205+

Quick Reply: Engine runs poorly at coolant temps of 205+