Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why would a seller not want to provide a VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:24 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I just finished this post and then I see the one below....he seems trusting

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

OP - the seller is a 1st class JO......find a nicer car closer
Old 08-24-2018, 03:41 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

I would never consider anyone a serious buyer until they have actually looked at the car. Being 900 miles away is not his problem. It's his car he can do as he wishes. It's not like you are the only possible buyer. He owes you nothing. Forget it and move on.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Well... I know a guy so...
OK, if it's so easy. Find this car
Vin 1Z8789S449890
Old 08-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Vin 1Z8789S449890
You are a few numbers short. (5) Unfortunately almost all data bases etc are set up for the "modern" vin numbers. In many cases, add 0's to the end and it may... pull up???

Last edited by Bajaholic; 08-24-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Who is it???? LMAO

Who is not cooperating???

Is it a ZR1? lol

I'm kidding of course, but still hilarious.

Unless GS or ZR1 who cares, find a different one closer. L98's, LT's are a dime a dozen.

BTW, if I were him I would think you were a dreamer too. If you have don't have the funds to get this thing, and it's 900 miles away who knows.. Nothing against you, just stating my point of view in his shoes with buyers on stuff. Why would you need the VIN already unless just interested in the history of the car?

Have you talked numbers already? If you met on a price, I would assume he will share the VIN. meeting on price obviously means according to what the paper work will eventually tell.
lol!

The point of this post is not to drag anyone's name thru the mud. I was merely trying to understand why a VIN would be so coveted when I can walk up to any car on the street and read it's VIN on the dash thru the windshield.

My bank gave me an amount they'd loan based on a base model 1996 so I explained to them it is an LT4 but they didn't understand the difference and said they'd run the numbers again if I provide them with a VIN (eight number in the VIN should be a 5 indicating an LT4 optioned car). That is why I asked seller for VIN. I don't expect them to loan full price, so I was prepared to supplement the difference myself.

After explaining this to seller, I asked what his bottom dollar is. But apparently this is not how it's done....

No worries, there are other cars out there. With VINs. Clearly visible though the windshield.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:06 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jitsu
lol!

The point of this post is not to drag anyone's name thru the mud. I was merely trying to understand why a VIN would be so coveted when I can walk up to any car on the street and read it's VIN on the dash thru the windshield.

My bank gave me an amount they'd loan based on a base model 1996 so I explained to them it is an LT4 but they didn't understand the difference and said they'd run the numbers again if I provide them with a VIN (eight number in the VIN should be a 5 indicating an LT4 optioned car). That is why I asked seller for VIN. I don't expect them to loan full price, so I was prepared to supplement the difference myself.

After explaining this to seller, I asked what his bottom dollar is. But apparently this is not how it's done....

No worries, there are other cars out there. With VINs. Clearly visible though the windshield.
I doubt it has anything to do with looking at a vin through the windshield, you are there in real life to see it. Most scammers are thousands of miles away and create everything electronically. Then make bogus ads, or even take loans etc against a car through electronic title loan places. Today's documents are not that hard to forge with the right program.

Not to make everyone even more paranoid, we have seen a couple of our local dealers get burned on forged lien releases lately. The most recent was a CTS, the people came in from texas Texas sold it to the dealer, had ALL the correct looking papers in place. Dealer paid them and 3 weeks later found out it was all bogus. And to be clear, the bank won the litigation and the dealer had to turn it back to them.

So.... If you get a title upon purchase and it has a lien release, call the bank to verify.

The computer can be a very good thing, but dishonest people that want to scam/lie have many tools at their disposal to reign havoc on the rest of us!

Last edited by Bajaholic; 08-24-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:08 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Vin 1Z8789S449890
I wouldn't bother him unless I actually needed something...

Any way, that a 70s vin? Been a while since I did manually decoded (or even read) one.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 08-24-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
I doubt it has anything to do with looking at a vin through the windshield, you are there in real life to see it. Most scammers are thousands of miles away and create everything electronically. Then make bogus ads, or even take loans etc against a car through electronic title loan places. Today's documents are not that hard to forge with the right program.

Not to make everyone even more paranoid, we have seen a couple of our local dealers get burned on forged lien releases lately. The most recent was a CTS, the [people in Texas sold it to the dealer, had ALL the correct looking papers in place. dealer paid them and 3 weeks later fond out was all bogus. And to be clear, the bank won the litigation and the dealer had to turn it back to them.

So.... If you get a title upon purchase and it has a lien release, call the bank to verify.

The computer can be a very good thing, but dishonest people that want to scam/lie have many tools at their disposal to reign havoc on the rest of us!
Very good points. Scammers cause us all problems.

But imagine this, I drop $700 to fly 900 miles to look at a car, I like it, send the VIN to my bank who discovers it has a salvaged title and won't touch it. I've just wasted $700 on airfare and my time, all of which could easily have been avoided by getting the VIN beforehand.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
i wouldn't bother him unless i actually needed something...

Any way, that a 70s vin? Been a while since i did manually decoded (or even read) one.
79 l48

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 08-24-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:31 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Very good points. Scammers cause us all problems.

But imagine this, I drop $700 to fly 900 miles to look at a car, I like it, send the VIN to my bank who discovers it has a salvaged title and won't touch it. I've just wasted $700 on airfare and my time, all of which could easily have been avoided by getting the VIN beforehand.
Did the guy answer your email that it is clean? Ad that the car is as described? If so, he is making a legal representation about the car. If you got there and found out he lied, a simple small claims action could be started to reclaim your costs. Yes it is a pain in the ***! But...

Somewhere along the line, you and he need to have some type of trust.... I am curious as to why he is taking a stance and what you asked or inquired about for him to not trust you?

Old 08-24-2018, 04:35 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

A potential buyer needs a VIN to pull a Carfax report, secure financing through a lender, and confirm certain things like factory engine option (ie: LT1 vs LT4) -- all critical things to a buyer. Why would a seller refuse to provide a VIN to a serious buyer? It's not a SS#..... The only thing I can come up with is that they are hiding something. What am I missing here?
If you are serious about the car you should definitely have a pre-sale inspection done by a qualified mechanic. The report should have the VIN on it. You can talk to the company doing the inspection and ask them to make sure and write the VIN on there, although I think most do anyway.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

or even take loans etc against a car through electronic title loan places.
Never thought of that.....do banks even loan on cars that old? Cant get a used car loan out here on anything over 10 yrs I believe (could be 15).

What is it that youre looking for, bet someone here could find it. This is a huge forum with many thousands of car guys.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:39 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Carfax will give you report from license plate number.

Last edited by hope2; 08-24-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:12 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

People used to be afraid that you could cut keys (and steal the car) with information from a VIN. Or maybe do some voodoo magic and transfer the title, then try to take possession of "their car." I don't think that is the case here. I agree, unless you have good reason to believe this may be the car for you... just move on. There are lots of good C4s to be bought.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm not even sure that works on our cars.. I know it doesn't on mine.

Bought it without a door key. Dealer couldn't help. Asked them if the VIN would work and they said no.

They don't have records that go back that far.

On the upside, I can now re-key GM sidebar door locks.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If you go look on autotrader.com car listings, both private party and dealerships have the VIN listed.

such as this one from a private seller

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=CORV
Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
If the seller doesnt understand that, find a different seller...

This is a thread like the one last week where the seller would take nothing but cash and had a lot of other odd stipulations to sell the car...
I'd definitely do that.

OTOH, when you have gotten someone on the hook with the Corvette Fever, you can pretty much get your way much of the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Why would a seller not want to provide a VIN?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Yes lots of scams but if a seller is that paranoid then dont sell the car or ask them to get a Carfax. Know that they arent always accurate.
Had a couple scrapes on my DD that were reported, carfax doesnt show any of it.
Oh, YOU want me to accept a Carfax report YOU pull and give me? Sure thing, buddy.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The seller is a forum member.

seller already told me to move on over my VIN inquiry. Too bad, I really like the car.
That don't cut any ice with me. Forum members are people and people can be crooks with the means, motivation and opportunity.

A sale happens when the buyer and the seller are both equally motivated. When it isn't, pass.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
Somewhere along the way, everyone lost trust in everything, the few bad people have reined it for everyone.
Or maybe it is more than a few? Kinda like Mission Impossible. If you get caught, you will be disavowed. Much like the catholic church claiming it is a few bad priests that ruin it for the rest of the good ones.

Quick Reply: Why would a seller not want to provide a VIN?