C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'85 Doug Nash Driveshaft Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM
sketchvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Doug Nash Driveshaft Stuck

Hello everyone, just purchased an '85 with the Doug Nash 4+3 trans. Recently pulled the motor and trans, and can not remove the driveshaft yoke from the output shaft. I've tried to be gentle, but after going at it with a mini-sledge to no avail, I'm looking for a little help. Everything I've seen indicates it should act like a regular yoke, and be easily removable. Wasn't sure whether the overdrive unit had some oddity I wasn't aware of? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

No oddity, just a sleeve bearing. It should come out. It's possible the bearing has work into the yoke, but even then the sleeve it likely to come out with the yoke with some force. I'd keep trying. Just make sure you're pulling it straight back. Too much side pressure and you'll crack the case.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM
sketchvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
No oddity, just a sleeve bearing. It should come out. It's possible the bearing has work into the yoke, but even then the sleeve it likely to come out with the yoke with some force. I'd keep trying. Just make sure you're pulling it straight back. Too much side pressure and you'll crack the case.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try and rig something up to apply a uniform force. Hammering on it has gotten me no where.

Get notified of new replies

To '85 Doug Nash Driveshaft Stuck

Quick Reply: '85 Doug Nash Driveshaft Stuck