Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can installing head gasket increase oil burning ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Great comments as usual guys, you are much more advanced than I am when it comes to mechanics, hence why I'm here asking questions. From your post on the head bolts C6_Racer_X, I don't know if the ones on my 1989 are reusable, but maybe I will buy the stock ones instead of buying the ARP ones for the reasons you mentioned. My car is stock. So if I do get the head gasket replaced I will call GM or some Corvette parts place and get new factory stock head bolts. I think some of the guys in this thread said maybe the old ones can stretch from heat so a new set may be wise, but just going off what I've read here. I agree that if I remove the heads, I should take them to a machine shop for testing and fix whatever issues are found, but the big issue for me is the cost after already having the engine rebuilt/overhauled once before in 2010. I spent $6,000 in 2010 and here in Canada they would probably charge me that again. I don't wanna do that. But I'm going day by day and making calls and we'll see how this plays out. I'm considering all the posts here from everyone. Would be nice to get a few more years out of this car. I love it. Had it for 20 years. More updates later as I can. TY.

Last edited by ~ Anno Domini; 09-29-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Origi owner I bought it from had a lousy job done right before I Bought it (so much for recepits meaning something!)
Depends. Whose name is on the receipts? It's like a modified car with receipts. Well if it was done by Joe Blow's shop, I might be leery. If it was done by say TPIS or LPE or someone reputable, that is a different story
Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 AM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Hey guys, this is ~ Anno Domini aka ~ Daniel. I changed my username because "Daniel" was a pseudonym, for privacy's sake, but some people were thinking my name was actually Daniel so I switched it because I don't want to confuse anybody. That said, quick update and question please. I decided to get the head gasket replaced on the car (it still has to be done), but my question is this. Can one bad piston ring cause excessive oil burning, or does it take several bad rings to do that. I was talking to somebody about oil burning in the car after I had the engine rebuilt in 2010 and how the car begins to stumble once a year. I explained that #7 spark plug gets caked with oil once a year and after I change it the stumble stops and the car runs fine for another year until #7 cakes up with oil again. The car burns about two litres of oil every 5,000 klm (3,100 miles) They mentioned it might have a bad ring. So my specific question is can ONE one bad ring cause excessive oil burning ? Thank you for any insight my friends.

Last edited by ~ Anno Domini; 12-05-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Quick update. I am the original poster and very pleased to say that I found a mechanic in Langley, Canada who fixed my head gasket for a reasonable price. You can read my posts in this thread for more details, but he charged me $1700 Canadian and here's what he did for that. He replaced the head gasket, resurfaced the heads, replaced the valve seals, tightened the head bolts properly (he said they were a little loose) and he also fixed an oil burning issue I had ever since I had the enguilt rebuilt 10 years ago. I was adding 1-2 quarts of oil every 5,000 km (3100 miles) and he said that the original rings did not seat properly. So he replaced all the rings and when I got the car back it no longer burns oil and the coolant issue is also fixed for $1700. I had a friend who told me about him. I don't know if that's why he charged me such a fair price (other mechanics wanted to charge more than double and talked of rebuilding the engine), but the engine is running well now and the mechanic is Terry at Kershaw Performance Engines Ltd in Langley, BC, Canada. He works on high perfomance engines. Hope that this helps someone.

Last edited by ~ Anno Domini; 03-25-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Can installing head gasket increase oil burning ?