Need Help to identify mystery part 92

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 PM
OmegaAbyss
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help to identify mystery part 92

Hey Guys,
I'm trying to figure out what this part is called. It's on the driver's side at the front of the engine...looks like some sort of vacuum pump. It makes a racket for about 2-3 minutes after start-up; trying to figure out if it's normal, or need to replace. Sounds like some sort of motor is involved in running it

Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Thats your air injection pump. It pumps air into the exhaust system via check valves or diverter valves that are fastened to the exhaust manifolds. The objetive is to pump warm exhaust air to the catalytic converters to heat them more quickly.

Last edited by 81c3; 09-21-2018 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OmegaAbyss (09-21-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Thats your air injection pump. It pumps air into the exhaust system via check valves or diverter valves that are fastened to the exhaust manifolds. The objetive is to pump warm exhaust air to the catalytic converters to heat them more quickly.

Do tell! So the exhaust gas that is being ejected from each cylinder and sent to the converter is not going to heat it as quickly???

Old 09-22-2018, 09:42 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
Do tell! So the exhaust gas that is being ejected from each cylinder and sent to the converter is not going to heat it as quickly???
He is close enough it doesn't matter.
If your trying to start a fight arbee … I'm your man.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:48 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You guys should avoid each other at all costs !!!! If u want to argue do it on pm's.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:51 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
He is close enough it doesn't matter.
If your trying to start a fight arbee … I'm your man.
Big difference between pumping exhaust gas to the converter or pumping atmospheric air to the converter. It appears as if you are the one wanting to start a fight as it was not you I was directing my comment to.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:52 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by fredk
You guys should avoid each other at all costs !!!! If u want to argue do it on pm's.
No.
Don't click the thread if you don't want to read it. This is your responsibility.

Maybe arbee will be gracious enough to explain how he thinks the system operates.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Big difference between pumping exhaust gas to the converter or pumping atmospheric air to the converter. It appears as if you are the one wanting to start a fight as it was not you I was directing my comment to.
Yeah that's one way to say it.

Another way is that you are trying to bait the guy into saying something you can attack him for.
That is your modus operandi around here.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 09-22-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Yeah that's one way to say it.

Another way is that you are trying to bait the guy into saying something you can attack him for.
That is your modus operandi around here.
Sorry Hoss. Got things to do. Not going to take your bait.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:03 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Sorry Hoss. Got things to do. Not going to take your bait.
Ill be waiting for the next time …
Old 09-22-2018, 01:36 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

So to answer your question... yes, exactly.... The pump pulls air from the atmosphere, and pushes it to the opening of the exhaust ports which will help move the hotter exhaust gas to the converters more quickly... I dint know I was needing to explain where the air comes from.... I was answering from my easy chair last night and didn't feel like going to the garage to get the verbatim information out of my FSM....You good with that explanation?

Here, actually, Ill pull a little of the info directly from the GM Service Manual for you or anyone else for clarity.

Purpose
The air injection system helps reduce hydrocarbon , carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen exhaust emissions. It also heats up the catalytic converter quickly on engine start up so conversion of exhaust gases can occur sooner.

Operation of system components
The electric air pump is located in the left front corner of the underhood compartment and supplies air to the AIR system. Intake air passes through an inlet silencer at the front of the pump. The electric air pump then pressures the air and pumps it to the control valve.

So I have reviewed my post and perhaps my wording wasn't as exactly as it should've been. I stand somewhat corrected.

Now I would ask that you look at the wording of your post and recognize the possibility that it could've been taken as snide by me or others...

Now do you see what I mean? Instead of trying to make someone who really didn't know the operation of the system look like a fool, why not simply add something more constructive instead of leading them with a baited question??

Last edited by 81c3; 09-22-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help to identify mystery part 92

Quick Reply: Need Help to identify mystery part 92