When do you part a car out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ynk1121
Ugh, sounds like damned if I do and damned if I don't
I FEEL YOU PAIN! I have a '93 Grand Cherokee - same issues. Health (arthritis) will not allow me the flexibility to part it out IF I was so inclined (which I'm NOT).

Options: sell it "as is", or "Cars 4 Kids" hauls it away as a tax write-off.

Sad. I loved that car too. If not for arthritis becoming part of my life, I'm tempted to drop a SBC V8 in it, paint it, (It has new nylon bushings), and use it for a hunting/off road rig.

Edit:

Originally Posted by 81c3
Seat covers and an inexpensive paint job and youll get it sold. Probably just recover the money you spend on the paint job itself, but it will shine and thats what buyers are looking for. Id say at that point you could ask $6000. and hopefully get $5500. Just my opinion......

That is another way to go.

Sometimes people are looking for a project, a challenge, and get a great deal of satisfaction out of restoration. I know I DID!

The '71 El Camino (pictured) was an "I always wanted one of those" kind of project, back in the late 80s.

I found this one in a junk yard; a total loss project. (Restoration projects are divided into 3 general areas: body/exterior, interior, and drive train. The "unwritten rule" is: ONE of the 3 areas should be more than 2/3s of the work unneeded or already done. This car had NOTHING going for it!) It had rusted out holes in the body, 2 shades of primer; grey and red, SBC engine seized, auto trans was toast, interior bench seat torn and seams splitting, and fire ants had made a nest in the foam (as an extra 'bonus'), carpet worn through to the matting plus muddy, windshield spider-webbed from an impact (rock?) had to haul it to my garage on a flatbed (wife was horror struck!) it belonged in a wrecking yard!

2 years later it is what you can see in the "after" photo. What you can't see is the complete new interior with bucket seats, new carpet, dash pad, instrument panel, console, "Rock Crusher" M22 M4 trans, solid lifter 427 BBC with an 850 cfm Holley 1450 double pumper, suspension springs, shocks,bushings, new paint including a "bed liner" (I claim to be the FIRST person to come up with the spray-in bed liner concept - 10+ years before they became "cool" :lol):. It was my daily driver in Atlanta for over 10 years, until the daily commute went from 1/2 hour to 1-1/2 hours (3 hours of stop and go traffic per day! [and my clutch leg was getting bigger than my right leg, and two throw-out bearings later. The thrill was gone. Time to get something else]).

Anyway, I basically broke even, financially speaking - the years of labor was "free". But, it would be hard to put a price on the experience gained, and the complements(!), and the satisfaction from essentially building it from scratch. Hard to put a value on the "intangibles"!

So, as far as your Vette goes, it gets my blood flowing - cuz I see a lot of potential - looking at it with my eyes (looks like your photo!). I'd be surprised if there isn't someone else looking at it too as a project that has great potential and not that much expense to bring it back to life.

I know the feeling. Been there. Done that!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-24-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ynk1121
That would be hilarious to see. Wheels, exhaust, and radio aren't stock but it's not like that can't be undone. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing yet. Was just tossing around ideas in my head and wanted to see what others thought. Not having a car is a big step.

She was a nice car before the sun did a number on it.
That's a crying shame. The BEFORE pic is a beauty! It makes think like the others that with some paint and seat covers, she's looking pretty good again. Someone will buy it and one more C4 stays on the road. My 2 cents. Good luck with everything.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Seat covers and plastidip. lol

Seriously, with the pics I think it will sell to a guy that can see the potential.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

If IHATEBARKINGDOGS does not buy it... Macco might be okay. Not joking. The car is not worth a ton and has some mods, but is tastefully IMO modified. I remember seeing that car on here years ago. That is a great clean it up and enjoy the hell out of it car. Plus it is different.

EDIT: I see we were typing at the same time and it might be a fun driver soon.

Last edited by pologreen1; 09-24-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Sorry about your health. I purchased rear speakers from you many years ago-I came over your house to pick them up. Your car was mint back then.

If you do part out-I would be interested in the side pipe covers and rear bumper exhaust block-outs.

Good luck to you.

Steve
Old 09-24-2018, 06:32 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Agree with the others, a halfway decent pai tjob and some new seat leathers and this is a nice car. Not a crazy expensive car, but could hit 10k I'd think. Its low miles, stick shift. and a drop top.

I'd clean it up, and either sell it or pass it down my bloodline. Not that I have kids, but if i did I would pass this down vs parting it out or selling at a throwaway price.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The OPs car is an auto, not a 6MN.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
The OPs car is an auto, not a 6MN.
Well that explains why everyone was saying 6 grand, haha.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Well that explains why everyone was saying 6 grand, haha.
I would have been out to LI with my trailer already.

Quick Reply: When do you part a car out?