Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fuel line R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at. That was my "little job" in order to trust them more. I'm not going to stand there all day watching them work just so I know which mechanic I want to request. I'm just telling one time that going to the dealership didn't really work out for me. To get back to the point, has anyone replaced fuel lines on an older c4?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP84
I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at. That was my "little job" in order to trust them more.

I'm not going to stand there all day watching them work just so I know which mechanic I want to request. I'm just telling one time that going to the dealership didn't really work out for me.

To get back to the point, has anyone replaced fuel lines on an older c4?
This is a huge job for a test. Do something simple like say a winter oil change where it is mucky or brake job to see how they do things. Does he torque the lug nuts with a wrench or does he do a "quick and dirty" with the stick. Spark plugs. Do you put anti-seize on them? Do you take them out with an impact or air ratchet or do you prefer to do it by hand. Talk to the guy and see how he describes things. Is he the sort that really knows his procedures or does he just slop it together and hope you don't notice? I saw a MB tech do a brake flush by sucking out the dirty fluid and replacing it with fresh. MB standard and what I paid for would call for pumping fresh fluid through the lines which he didn't do. Needless to say, I don't have him work on any of my cars.

And THAT is why you got ripped off. Only difference is you found out and know something. Most people don't and are good with "so sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock". And we know what might happen to that sheep when the shepherd.......

HAve you tried Classic Tube? They might be able to bend it for you. That or you can bend your own line if you choose.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 AM
MikeP84
Racer

Sir, if you look at the original post you will see that I didnt mention taking my car to the dealership. Only that I have taken my car there once before to have them figure out WHY my clutch was self destructing and I was not impressed. I intend to do the fuel line replacement myself because I want to do other things while im in there. Thank you for the company recommendation. Ill check them out.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Sir, if you look at the original post you will see that I didnt mention taking my car to the dealership. Only that I have taken my car there once before to have them figure out WHY my clutch was self destructing and I was not impressed.

I intend to do the fuel line replacement myself because I want to do other things while im in there. Thank you for the company recommendation. Ill check them out.
I guess I wasn't impressed by their hard work or in this case, lack of it either. I trust neither independents nor dealerships since they are run by people. I don't trust people until I have verified them is my point.

If you are going so far, I'd get the pulsator removed from the fuel tank. It might be easier when you have everything off to do it on the ground.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM
MikeP84
Racer

I have heard of the pulsator before but not sure what it looks like. Do you have a picture of one?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I have heard of the pulsator before but not sure what it looks like. Do you have a picture of one?
aklims nonsense is not a good reason to remove the pulsator.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3525474-fuel-pressure-drop.html

I'd replace it with submersible fuel line and a couple of hose clamps so it would not get screwed up by fuel.

I think the new pumps have them already if you get a Racetronix kit. Mine wasn't the tightest when it was removed. Racetronix install kit has all that and you can replace the sock in the tank and see if it is clean. The install kit also includes the bolts that are hex, IIRC and made of stainless steel
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3525474-fuel-pressure-drop.html

I'd replace it with submersible fuel line and a couple of hose clamps so it would not get screwed up by fuel.

I think the new pumps have them already if you get a Racetronix kit. Mine wasn't the tightest when it was removed. Racetronix install kit has all that and you can replace the sock in the tank and see if it is clean. The install kit also includes the bolts that are hex, IIRC and made of stainless steel
Of course you would, because after all this time, you still have no idea what the pulsator does.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Of course you would, because after all this time, you still have no idea what the pulsator does.
I'm not trying to be rude here at all but respectfully please tell us what the pulsator actually does? All I ever knew about it that it was a device to quiet the fuel pump. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
I'm not trying to be rude here at all but respectfully please tell us what the pulsator actually does? All I ever knew about it that it was a device to quiet the fuel pump. Inquiring minds would like to know.
It absorbs the fuel pressure spikes as the injectors open and then close.
In effect, it pulsates so the rest of the fuel system doesn't have to. Hence the name.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you PDT for the quick reply as I know many people have done away with there's with a piece of fuel line. But, I have never heard of them having problems with it being eliminated.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

OP mentions '84 and an '84 doesn't have a PULSATOR!!

I didn't follow much of the 'discussion' BUT caught this aspect towards the end!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-17-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Thank you PDT for the quick reply as I know many people have done away with there's with a piece of fuel line. But, I have never heard of them having problems with it being eliminated.
I don't think we can know how a problem caused by a missing pulsator will manifest itself.
We do know that injectors fail all the time and so do regulators.
Its also worth mentioning that a pulsator is in many different GM vehicles, and not just the corvette. Its also worth mentioning that in almost every other pressurized fluid application in an automobile, some sort of mechanism is incorporated to deal with pressure spikes. Even the old throttle body injected engines had what they called an accumulator (in the throttle body itself) for this exact reason.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP mentions '84 and an '84 doesn't have a PULSATOR!!

I didn't follow much of the 'discussion' BUT caught this aspect towards the end!!
No it does not.
It has an accumulator in the throttle body that does not have the regulator.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Assuming it isn't leaking it's not a quietness device in the sense of sound unless you consider the pulsing of fuel noise.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Ill check out your link when I can however I dont think I have one anyway. I have replaced fuel pump with 86- fuel pump and all it is attached with is some tube.

Quick Reply: Fuel line R&R?