Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How About a Near New 1995 ZR-1 C4 For a Weekend Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by pologreen1
LMAO

This might be a dupe again. Also, no thanks to over priced zr1's. I don't care if it has 500 miles, I literally will not pay more than 18K for the best example of any kind of stock c4. Well, callaway I would if I was a collector.

New technology and the car culture has forced these things in to a corner, not sure when people will get it. I hope they get what they want, but wow.
x3. Also why wait for the weekend. The day is coming where we may not be allowed to use gas powered stuff anymore or taxed so high it isnt worth it.

Daily drive it, not like they arent reliable. Hell mine had 180k super hard miles when the guy I sold it to let go of it, was a DD then, no secondary car. People who store them are really missing out.
That engine/trans isnt going to break, you can even cook them and most times no harm done.

That price is near decent LS3 terrtotry. Cars themselves do nothing for me but Id be tempted just due to the power potential the LS3 has.

Last edited by cv67; 01-18-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:44 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Why wouldn't I just buy a nice, and far easier and cheaper to repair, C5/6 for the same or less money if I just wanted a weekend toy? Or for even less money, do what I did and buy a base C4 for my weekend toy?

Originally Posted by bb62
They I guess my 67 435HP coupe is practically worth nothing given that it is even older tech with better everything in even cheap cars today. And worse than that, they made more 67 435s than 405HP ZR-1s combined. Oh my word how worthless my C2 is.
As a weekend toy car, it is worth fairly little. As a much more rare collectable, it is worth a lot. Perspective is everything. I can buy 400+HP muscle cars all day long in the low-mid teens if I just want a weekend toy.

Originally Posted by corvette95
Well, current and upcoming new cars that has online tracking, data boxes, recording and transmitting everything you do (including saving all text from your phone), GPS coordinates. The government will eventually require a back door into the "exotics" and when the next generation of cars are constantly being hacked, and you realize you when you get a ticket in the mail for doing 90 mph because your car reported you, people may look back on today's C5,C4 and so on and think, they are a better choice. If you think I am paranoid, you just aren't informed.
Well, if we are just blindly ignoring the piles of laws out there that would never allow this, I can just as easily say that it would be far easier for them to ban all non-OBDII cars from the roads altogether and require the remainder to plug in tracking devices.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:27 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

If you think laws are banning monitoring of your cars ,if I am reading your post right, I am in the business for a living and you just don't know what is happening RIGHT NOW.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:52 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Why wouldn't I just buy a nice, and far easier and cheaper to repair, C5/6 for the same or less money if I just wanted a weekend toy? Or for even less money, do what I did and buy a base C4 for my weekend toy?

As a weekend toy car, it is worth fairly little. As a much more rare collectable, it is worth a lot. Perspective is everything. I can buy 400+HP muscle cars all day long in the low-mid teens if I just want a weekend toy.

Well, if we are just blindly ignoring the piles of laws out there that would never allow this, I can just as easily say that it would be far easier for them to ban all non-OBDII cars from the roads altogether and require the remainder to plug in tracking devices.
OBD1 are emissions exempt already. The idiots will be busy arguing over the GIVEN political candidates, sports teams, etc... it will be for your SAFETY as usual. LMFAO. I won't be shocked. No tin foil hat here. I don't need one. I see horrible people in charge and playing a game of government, not doing what is best for people but themselves. We all could easily and willingly be considered CAUSALITIES OF WAR if needed. Pay your taxes, keep fighting and arguing while you pay up to 60% tax if you drink and or smoke. Go team! OHHH and keep pumping out kids to keep tax ID's ... I mean SSI number that you will now get paid less of or none of eventually of the 13% they steal from you. On and On it goes. Support the troops too.... and keep paying for it all. CONTROL.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by corvette95
If you think laws are banning monitoring of your cars ,if I am reading your post right, I am in the business for a living and you just don't know what is happening RIGHT NOW.
Please do tell. heard a number of things are now, but have nothing to really back it up with other than "heard".
Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Please do tell. heard a number of things are now, but have nothing to really back it up with other than "heard".
it IS real, non-disclosure prevents me from sharing,

Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Vehicles will self report any laws broken via the array of sensors/GPS/gyro already in many cars that will easily detect speeding, unsignaled changing lanes/departure, running of lights/stop signs or erratic driving characteristics and BAM ticket in the mail - Easy as pie. Third party vehicle shutdown or access i.e. police, lien holders will be standard. Worse off is the addition of speed governers to vehicles that might disallow "speeding" altogether. Thats a short sighted view though and just simply patch regulations that I see as going to self-driving tech will be mandatory at some point for most, if not all MFRs on US roadways...good luck trying to get that pristine ZR1 or most of our archaic vehicles anywhere near public roads. I'm just not sure how far away that future is.

Corvette95 probably has a clue
Old 01-23-2019, 08:22 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
Vehicles will self report any laws broken via the array of sensors/GPS/gyro already in many cars that will easily detect speeding, unsignaled changing lanes/departure, running of lights/stop signs or erratic driving characteristics and BAM ticket in the mail - Easy as pie. Third party vehicle shutdown or access i.e. police, lien holders will be standard. Worse off is the addition of speed governers to vehicles that might disallow "speeding" altogether. Thats a short sighted view though and just simply patch regulations that I see as going to self-driving tech will be mandatory at some point for most, if not all MFRs on US roadways...good luck trying to get that pristine ZR1 or most of our archaic vehicles anywhere near public roads. I'm just not sure how far away that future is.

Corvette95 probably has a clue
Nothing a pair of side cuts wont cure.
The following users liked this post:
DGXR (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I know you are joking a bit, but in case someone does not understand; what I meant by that is computers have changed the game, aero has changed the game. People feeding on attention as part of their make up has changed the game.

The market /bubble for C2's etc is on its way out. Kids don't care. I'm mid life and I watch a ton of stuff on youtube since 2005, been to car shows, and I usually pay attention to people. I have said it a million times... the 70's gas embargo created the void for life as people knew it with hot cars and hot women in them, or just buddies burning rubber.

The only reason for a million kid these days and there are more no than ever would buy a c2 for the most part is to flip it to an old guy. Of course this is a generalization but I think a pretty fair one.

Exotics are the way of the future... Imagine why a corvette might actually finally be doing it? Because of your statement, they are simply going to be left behind in the world of technology. .
Interesting post and the C2 market has seemingly softened a bit. Your last comment about exotics being the way of the future: could one consider the C4 ZR-1an exotic Corvette? The basic definition means of origination from an outside country and the motor was definitely that. At the very least a quasi-exotic mashup of American and foreign parts. Just thinking out loud if that mindset of exotics being the future is true, many enthusiasts go digging into the past of a brand to find the beginnings and that can make the value go up if the car collector gods decide, “this is the one”

Honestly, if the values stay in the toilet forever for Zs, I wouldn’t lose any sleep but I enjoy trying to figure out the future on these cars. It just takes one little quirk or moment to make the collector crowd to turn around and go, “oh yeah THIS car right here!” and just like that the values go crazy.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette

Interesting post and the C2 market has seemingly softened a bit. Your last comment about exotics being the way of the future: could one consider the C4 ZR-1an exotic Corvette? The basic definition means of origination from an outside country and the motor was definitely that. At the very least a quasi-exotic mashup of American and foreign parts. Just thinking out loud if that mindset of exotics being the future is true, many enthusiasts go digging into the past of a brand to find the beginnings and that can make the value go up if the car collector gods decide, “this is the one”

Honestly, if the values stay in the toilet forever for Zs, I wouldn’t lose any sleep but I enjoy trying to figure out the future on these cars. It just takes one little quirk or moment to make the collector crowd to turn around and go, “oh yeah THIS car right here!” and just like that the values go crazy.
On a car enthusiast level and from an appreciation of great engineering and quality the ZR-1 is a top notch example of that.

The new "mid engine" looks like an exotic to me. C4 was kind of exotic in the 80's based on general styling, looking like a bland 308? or something maybe? IDK.

Corvettes in general have always had a "look". the '63-'67 still look crazy to me. I love them for some reason.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I would call the C4 ZR1 an exotic Corvette simply for the LT5, the only Corvette engine with overhead camshafts, so far. Also the LT5 was co-designed by Lotus, and built by Mercury marine. Pretty exotic for a Corvette, in my book anyway.
This should be obvious but I will say it anyway: a seller can ask whatever price they want, but the true value of their car is whatever they actually receive for it, at that time.
Finally... Renfield, please try to tone it down. I've seen a few of your other posts on the forum, you take things very personally and you react harshly. This is the internet -- try to have a good time Just trying to help you and everyone else here.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

The visceral feel of looking at LT5 sitting in the clamshell engine bay does something to me, almost better than seeing a 426 Hemi in a Cuda.

From having the latest ‘gee-wizz’ car, 63 split window, to a Pantera, I think I have things covered, even the future mid engine vette.

For those that say newer is always better. I live in an area where the roads are very poorly maintained. After owning a C6 that rode like a primitive buckboard I swore off newer performance cars. They have taken the suspension loading and tire sidewalls to insane levels to have impressive skid pad numbers. Never going to come close to using 70% of the cornering ability on the street, but get to klank teeth on every bump. My old Pantera rides like a dream and corners like a cat, that is good enough for me.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Speaking of car gatherings, try to find them, not as common as they were yrs ago. Town Im staying in has NONE with old cars, anywhere.
1 local half azz GTG. Either low riders, imports...a few late models with a couple of those stupid looking donks
The old car thing is about extinct it seems. So if you worry about future values, sell the car now. lol Its a job that doesnt pay. Kinda like marriage.

Quick Reply: How About a Near New 1995 ZR-1 C4 For a Weekend Car?