C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Instrument Cluster LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:10 AM
Hookdbyvettes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument Cluster LED Upgrade

I'm writing this for others who are soon to replace dash bulbs in the digital instrument cluster and want to move to LED reliability. My '86 has needed bulbs in the cluster for almost a year, I Studied the pictures for some time, trying to establish what type bulbs worked in the twist in sockets, as well as how others upgraded their dashes. There are not a lot of readers, writing about this subject. I will give a nod to Batee for their videos on Youtube on removal and the break down of the cluster, as well as potential fixes of the cluster in the mid 80's Vettes. I looked for a long time, thinking that the halogen bulbs used would not be similar to a 9004 bulb, but that's exactly what they resemble. I believe 9004s could be used, but they would be dimmer than the intended bulb originally used and the new bulb used to replace them. I wanted to share with others, the led bulbs which I used. These are 9004 LED replacements, in different sizes and shapes.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:20 AM
Hookdbyvettes
Intermediate

Default "Pics"

The pics didn't come across,

Last edited by Hookdbyvettes; 10-18-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 AM
Hookdbyvettes
Intermediate

Default Hopefully this will be clearer, but very large.

The ones on the right are the ones I used, the ones on the right are too long, but were ordered for a tag light on another car, just other replacements for 9004s.

This is more example of 9004 replacements, I used the flat LEDs in the center are the ones I used in my pillar lights.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:46 AM
Hookdbyvettes
Intermediate

I need to work on my post, I repeated the 1st pic, thinking it didn't load, it did not show up on my screen until I posted the pic again, oh and again!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 AM
Hookdbyvettes
Intermediate

Default One pic of LED dash.

I need to get a shot of the dash at night, this is a quick pic in daylight,

Too much sheen from the daylight, notice the left , right & high beam bulbs are LEDs too.
right after wiring the dash up.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for posting, it would be good if you posted where you got the LEDs you used and part number or link.

In my experience, LEDs for the "common" stuff like turn signals etc high power SMD type LEDs are usually too bright. Especially at night. Also can run into resistance issues in those circuits.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Check with Batee.com. Bryan does a lot of instrument cluster repair and upgrades plus sells parts. If anyone could do it or sell you the parts, I'd suspect Bryan would be the guy.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Check with Batee.com. Bryan does a lot of instrument cluster repair and upgrades plus sells parts. If anyone could do it or sell you the parts, I'd suspect Bryan would be the guy.
- bryan is pretty much the go to guy when it comes to c4 corvette digital instrument panels -

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument Cluster LED Upgrade

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster LED Upgrade