C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

help, mice chewed the wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Scott Rasmussen
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default help, mice chewed the wiring

I looked at a 1990 convertible today that has an "electrical issue" Mice chewed the wiring harness and plug wires. When the owners started it it started a small fire or at least melted alot of the wiring harness and distributor. It doesnt look like it needs a complete harness change but whatever is between the distributor and firewall is toast as well as wiring running on top of the bell housing back under the interior and the transmission.

Stupid question but what else should I be looking for? How much of a job will it be to replace these? Parts online look reasonable, less than $1,000. But what else?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:14 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

First what caught fire and why?

What condition was this car in?

The parts you mention are just standard sbc dizzy and wires.

How long since the car has been driven regularly?

after answering some of these questions and the more details you give overall the better.

There are fuel issues and other things that happen form the older c4's in general, that you might want to look at while tuning it up.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Scott Rasmussen
Instructor

The only issue issue I can see and smell now is the wiring. There is no power so nothing comes on when you turn the key. Not sure how extensive the melting got into say the dash, etc.

What I can see in the engine bay as far as melting or fire is only around the distributor and the wiring around it within say 6 to 9 inches. Everything else looked fine and intact. The spark plug wires were not melted though, just chewed.
Unfortunately because it has no electrical it wont start or run so I dont know the rest of the condition or damages. I have no idea if it would have or could have fried the instrument cluster or any electronics in the transmission (automatic). I am told that the car has only 45,000 miles on it. Based upon the body, interior, etc, I dont see anything that makes me question the mileage.

The car sat for about 3 years in storage and the family finally took it out to sell it, went to start it and all hell broke lose. They had done nothing to prep it for storage. This happened either last spring or year ago last spring, not sure.

Other than the electrical, this car is in excellent shape for a car 28 years old. Just trying to wrap my head and wallet around what I could be in store for.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:05 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

You won't know how bad the damage is until you start tearing into it. Make sure you factor into the price that nothing works and that you don't know if it will work without repairs.

If it was cheap enough, I would plan on replacing the dash harness and engine harness. Mice are evil when it comes to wire insulation.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:30 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Something caught fire from a spark. Spark happens, but what caught fire? Fuel, oil, mouse nest?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:35 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

You should look for another car!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:55 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RIC96
You should look for another car!
Yea, it would have to be one hell of a deal to keep me from walking away. Old uncared for C4s can become huge money-pits.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Scott Rasmussen
Instructor

dont know what caught fire, they family thought it was the wiring but i guess it could have been a mouse next. I found a small nest in the center console so I guess there could have been the same thing in the engine compartment.

I agree, it has to be a deal in order for it to work for me. I offered them $3,000 and now I am wondering if offered too much. They do think its worth a lot, told me that they thought it would be worth about $9,000 when fixed so they "priced it accordingly" at $6,000. I got the impression that my offer was their first one.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:32 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

They should be thanking you for 3k.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:48 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
They should be thanking you for 3k.

Lol … that's what I was thinking.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I think I would look for another one. You can find one for not too much more money that is running. This one could turn into a real nightmare.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:48 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

at $3K you should get your money back by parting it out & make a little money, if you don't mind doing the labor. If its a manual even more.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:24 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Indeed, if rodents got into the center console they could have gotten anywhere...
Old 10-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Electrical fire aftermath.... Like others have said, I'd be strongly skewed toward walking away...UNLESS(!) the car has something unique that makes it worth spending the time/money to have it fixed. Lots of cars w/o electrical fire damage out there for sale; damage which could easily exceed the $3k purchase price!

However, if you decide to buy it as a project, i.e., something to fiddle with and learn from as time allows, I can tell ya there is no better way to get familiar with a car than a methodical restoration project. To those that challenge you as not being practical...well, I chalked my (several) resto projects up to cost of education.

Get notified of new replies

To help, mice chewed the wiring

Quick Reply: help, mice chewed the wiring