C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LT1 Problems NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:13 PM
brent pirtle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Problems NEED HELP

So recently my 89 s10 that I swapped an lt1 into started misfiring during 20+% throttle input, so I read up online and everyone said it was more than likely the Optispark. So I replaced it (it’s the pin drive not spline drive) it slide on with no force so I button it up enough to run, but only half of my cylinders are firing. I figured this out by touch the exhaust manifold pipes. It’s the MSD Optispark cap and rotor kit so I still used the original Billit piece and the internals.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:44 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

MSD optis are known to be not great. When you say you used the original housing, do you mean the OE opti? The optical sensor could be bad, or a dirty/warped disc with the slots on it.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

How's your fuel pressure?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
How's your fuel pressure?
Rick,... Say what!!? Are U implying he should (gasp!) actually,,,CHECK something out first to determine the actual cause, and then verify: (1) it is in fact faulty in the first place, and (2) the replacement is working as advertised? BLASPHEMY!! What kind of CHERRY PICKER are you, anyway!?

Old 10-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Rick,... Say what!!? Are U implying he should (gasp!) actually,,,CHECK something out first to determine the actual cause, and then verify: (1) it is in fact faulty in the first place, and (2) the replacement is working as advertised? BLASPHEMY!! What kind of CHERRY PICKER are you, anyway!?
LOL. I am not a fan of throwing parts at a problem. Also, the symptoms don't jibe with my experience regarding a failed Opti. It is STILL the Achilles heel of the LT1. But it is not the only thing that fails.

Easy enough to put a gauge on the fuel rail. That, the noid lights and the spark tester are my go-to diagnostic friends.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:45 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. OP has an LT1 running on 4 cylinders long enough to get the exhaust system hot?

While I agree with troubleshot don't swap, I also believe that when things get worse immediately after a parts swap, revisit that first. Probably see if my wires are on correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Problems NEED HELP

Quick Reply: LT1 Problems NEED HELP