C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 08:09 PM
96VegasVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review

I upgraded from the Sylvania Cool Blue Headlights on my 96 to the new Sylvania SilverStar Headlights and there is no comparison between the two. It's as much of a change as it is going from standard "yellow" 6054's to the Cool Blue 6054's. The light is VERY white and has excellent coverage. Definitely a good upgrade to anyone who appreciates having ample lighting in front of them at night. Supposedly they are as close as you're going to get to HID's without the HID pricetag. :cheers:
Old 10-27-2002, 08:13 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (96VegasVette)

Cool deal, thx for the review. Something for me to think about when I go to replace my headlights.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Tx07BlackZ51
Safety Car

Thanks for the heads up :cheers:
Old 10-27-2002, 08:51 PM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool info! Thanks Allen! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: By the way, I'm sure I've said this before many times... I want a hood ornament just like yours! Care to point me in the right direction? :lol:
Old 10-27-2002, 08:52 PM
mpennabe
Intermediate

Agreed! I put a set of Silverstars in my Tacoma first (simple bulb swap) before ordering the conversion for my 90 coupe. Will definitely be placing the order for the vette tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:04 PM
96VegasVette
Safety Car

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (mpennabe)

Agreed! I put a set of Silverstars in my Tacoma first (simple bulb swap) before ordering the conversion for my 90 coupe. Will definitely be placing the order for the vette tomorrow.
You don't need to order the conversion. They sell the Silverstar 6045 sealed headlamp assymblies now. $24.95 each at Autozone. :cheers:
Old 10-27-2002, 09:09 PM
mpennabe
Intermediate

Better yet! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:26 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (mpennabe)

I put a set of the 9003 Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in mine since I had already had changed my headlight fixtures in mine. These things are really bright :yesnod: If I had waited then I wouldn't have had to change my headlight fixtures out to accept the bulb type. :rolleyes:

Good Call 96VegasVette :cheers: I think everyone would want a hood ornament like that :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 10-27-2002, 11:03 PM
WEB_War84
Instructor

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (CowboyNVette)

How hard is it to change the headlights? then i'd need to get them aligned
Old 10-27-2002, 11:19 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (WEB_War84)

How hard is it to change the headlights? then i'd need to get them aligned
To change the headlights only takes about 10 minutes. All you need is a screwdriver and a small cresent wrench. There are 4 small screws with a hex head that hold the headlight cover on. You take the headlight cover off then you remove the 4 phillips screws that hold the stainless steel trim rim around the headlight out. Now you can take the headlight out and unplug it and replace it with the new headlight. IF you change to the type where you can change the bulbs then the instructions are the same except you have to install the bulb in back of the headlight assembly.

Its really easy and anyone can do it. When you remove the trim ring from around the headlight to remove it be careful not to move the headlight alignment screws. If you don't mess with them then you will not need to align the new headlight.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:27 PM
WEB_War84
Instructor

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (CowboyNVette)

If you don't mess with them then you will not need to align the new headlight.
Well, they're already out of alignment
Old 10-28-2002, 06:02 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (WEB_War84)

If you don't mess with them then you will not need to align the new headlight.

Well, they're already out of alignment
TO align your headlights is pretty simple.....In fact the local Oil Exchange place here will do it for free when you get an oil change. To do it yourself if fairly easy. You should be able to find some sort of guide on the internet on how the alignment of your lights should be. Then all you have to do is pull into a garage or parking lot with a wall in front of the parking area, pull up to within a certain distance...approx 2 to 3 feet from wall...then set the lights to the dimentions that it says to do. Someone here may chime in with the dimentions for the corvette.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:41 PM
hngacurv
Race Director

You don't need to order the conversion. They sell the Silverstar 6045 sealed headlamp assymblies now. $24.95 each at Autozone. :cheers:
Do you have a part # for the silverstar sealed headlamp? I just got back from Autozone and they said negative on that.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:16 PM
96VegasVette
Safety Car

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (castivers)

Maybe that particular store doesn't carry them (depending on the size of the Store they may not carry the same product line as a bigger one down the street) The part number is 6054, can't remember what the last alpha digits were. Trust me though, they are out, sealed Sylvania Silverstar headlamps. They just got them in Thursday here. :)

Edit:
They aren't even listed as being available on Sylvania's website but I assure you, they are out. Give it a week, I'm sure they will filter down to your local stores. I trashed the boxes already, I can tell you this though, on the Cool Blue 6054's, on the glass the words Sylvania Halogen is stamped, while on the new 6054 Silverstar's the words Sylvania Performance is stamped. I'll go take a pic of what they look like on with the digi in just a min. :cheers:

Low Beam:

High Beam:

:cheers:

[Modified by 96VegasVette, 7:41 PM 10/28/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 12:31 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Hope you are right and my area will soon have them. I couldn't find them on Autozone.com either. All I could find were the bulbs.

[Modified by castivers, 4:32 AM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 01:42 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I wonder how these compare to my Wagner Brite Lights? At $12.99, they are much cheaper and are suppose to be 80% brighter than the stock light which was $8.99. They were a definite improvement over stock. If the Silverstars are really that much better I wouldn't mind upgrading, just wondering if anyone has compared these?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:23 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

If anyone is interested in these. I couldn't find them at my Autozone or at Autozone.com, but I did find them online at the Autobarn for $25.xx each. The part # is SYLH6054ST.

Get notified of new replies

To Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review

Old 10-29-2002, 07:20 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

There was an extensive discussion about these in C5 tech last week. The response was varied, but most felt that upgraded bulbs are never much of an improvement. Take that for what it's worth, but I'd use caution before dropping $100 for 4 bulbs. :cheers:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=409232
Old 10-29-2002, 08:09 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Default Re: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review (BQuicksilver)

but I'd use caution before dropping $100 for 4 bulbs.
I checked them out on Sylvania's chart which compared how much light their different lines of headlamps produced and the only 2 things brighter were Xenarcs and daylight. I'm not sure what you are talking about on the $100 for 4 bulbs. I spent $50 on 2 sealed beam headlamps.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:59 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I checked them out on Sylvania's chart which compared how much light their different lines of headlamps produced and the only 2 things brighter were Xenarcs and daylight. I'm not sure what you are talking about on the $100 for 4 bulbs. I spent $50 on 2 sealed beam headlamps.
Sorry for any confusion, I guess C4's have 2 bulbs. I have a C5, which has 4 bulbs, so that's where the $100 figure came from.

As far as brightness goes, I'll clarify some. What most people are anaware of is that white light does not equal better visibilty. They often rate automotive bulbs by perceived brightness, which doesn't maean too much from a functional standpoint. I haven't tried the silverstars, but have used 3 different sets of top-rated bulbs, all of which looked very bright and white upon install and from head-on (as seen above), but they really were inferior to the stock yellow bulbs for road visibility. Aftermarket bulbs tend to disappoint for these reasons. Hope that helps you out. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Sylvania SilverStar Headlight review