C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Display control repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Display control repair

So I need to replace the switched on the buttons next to my driver info display for a 1990 coupe. The act of replacing them is easy but I have messed up, I messed up the orientation of a few switches. If we have any one tech savy enough can you pull the board and sent pictures or preferably if you will commit the time, draw up a diagram of the circuits. Either will be a great help. I found out that the switched have 2 poles on each side that are connected , so say both left are connected and the rights are connected with the pairs seperated by the switch. This is where I messed up by turning a few. Any help would be amazing. Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 AM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If you could be a little more clear as to what your looking for I'm working on my DIC now (I'm replacing the photo sensor) and it's apart but I don't know of any switches inside (or I don't know what they look like). If you post a pic of the part your working on I may be able to help.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Space387
Racer

on the green circuit board the silver squares with black plastic buttons ( called them switches) is what I am looking at. There should be 6, all with 4 legs. so either close pictures of the buttons or one better is to tell me on each button which legs are paired. To test this you grab a multi meter and set it to Ohm or short( forgot the name usually beeps when you touch the probes) and see what legs within the same button are connected internally.

Sorry its a bit late but I just saw the reply. Thanks for the help if you can
Old 11-04-2018, 01:06 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll reference "switch 1" but they all work exactly the same.
1. The switches, by design, cannot be installed incorrectly due to the dimensions of the legs and the switch function.
2. For switch function 2 legs are connected and 2 are separate. There are not 4 separate functions, only 1/2 the switch connected to the other half. You can see this in the rear of the board. So each 1/2 the switch is always connected to itself and when the button is pressed the all 4 contacts connect. The switch is a simple on/off and normally open.
3. Switch 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are installed horizontally and Switch 3 vertically (but again this can't be messed up due to the geometry of the switch)

I hope this helps and I'm not sure how this could be messed up unless you have the wrong switches.

The following users liked this post:
Space387 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:01 AM
Space387
Racer

Mine is not out of the car at the moment but I thank you soo much. I thought the same as you described when I replaced switch 1 and had to take apart the others to clean internally. Yes I know they are not designed to be serviced but I was working off what I had around the house and needed it back together.I have an order for capaciters to rebuild my rear amps and the switches for the DIC board going out later this week so it is good so see an original for reference. Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Display control repair

Quick Reply: Display control repair