Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Buying your 16 yo girl a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Default I think she would like this one ( its for sale )

I think she would like this one . Its not over powered easy to drive and all works ,I think a young lady would like it , its powered kinda like a Camry but a 93 Corvette and this one has new parts everywhere.. NOT because its mine and for sale but ( I would let my young daughter or son drive this one ) or one like it ,

well its not as safe as the newer one but I guess you know that ..
Old 11-04-2018, 02:48 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a dumb idea... period!
The following 2 users liked this post by RIC96:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (11-06-2018), Karvette (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:25 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

My sisters first car was 3 years old. Nothing crazy but in really good shape. The car is currently in the body shop. No amount of driving school or lessons will equate to seat time behind the wheel. Then there are some people that just can't drive. For the most part, expect her to ding and scratch scratch whatever she gets. The snow thing is also a real problem. I backed mine out of the drive way and all it wanted to do was 360 on the street as soon as I eased off the clutch so it went right back in the garage. I wouldn't do it. Get something comparatively cheap that way you don't feel bad about it getting messed up. Just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by tomseal6
We are moving back down to our other house on the Gulf Coast in the very near future where it can be driven year round.

94-96 is what I had in mind for the purple color and air bags. I've never driven 1. I have no idea what the 300 hp motor feels like compared to my 01 Z
To anovice, they're both rockets. A 300hp c4 ia still one of the fastest cars on the road. It still does 165 mph, still does 0-60 in ~5 seconds, and still cN easily get you killed.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:18 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

Maybe start with an early C4? Reasonably priced and plentiful. Not to mention less horsepower. And if it gets wrecked youre not out too much.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Never easy with teens and cars. My daughter is 16 and the driving age is 17 in NJ. She’s currently driving a horse...that’s right 1 horsepower!! She rides equestrian and loves flying and jumping around a ring. When we practice her driving she’s learning on an 01 Infiniti I30t. Perfect size, easy to drive and lot of glass for visibility. That will be her car as she learns to be a better skilled driver. My daughter besides a horse has also ridden quads and jetskis. I’m not comfortable for kids in a C4. To quick of a car for their skills, one sits low and visibility isn’t the best. We all have our own opinions so it’s your choice. I have two boys, 19 and 21. My 19 yr Old has some of my traits and drives a 13 Boss 302 Mustang and he has an 07 Subaru WRX-STI ( bought with his own money). He’s very mechanical and although there’s been some issues with police occasionally ( dare I say he’s being profiled) he’s quite responsible. I just can’t see a 16yr old being the same.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by MRANT212
Never easy with teens and cars. My daughter is 16 and the driving age is 17 in NJ. She’s currently driving a horse...that’s right 1 horsepower!! She rides equestrian and loves flying and jumping around a ring. When we practice her driving she’s learning on an 01 Infiniti I30t. Perfect size, easy to drive and lot of glass for visibility. That will be her car as she learns to be a better skilled driver. My daughter besides a horse has also ridden quads and jetskis.

I’m not comfortable for kids in a C4. To quick of a car for their skills, one sits low and visibility isn’t the best. We all have our own opinions so it’s your choice. I have two boys, 19 and 21. My 19 yr Old has some of my traits and drives a 13 Boss 302 Mustang and he has an 07 Subaru WRX-STI ( bought with his own money). He’s very mechanical and although there’s been some issues with police occasionally ( dare I say he’s being profiled) he’s quite responsible. I just can’t see a 16yr old being the same.
Maybe a supercharger or nitrous would help her?

If your son is mechanical, it isn't an issue if it isn't a daily driver where he doesn't work or go to school if it doesn't move. As to cops, well, you bet they will look hard at any kid in a car, never mind a nicer car.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:39 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MRANT212
Never easy with teens and cars. My daughter is 16 and the driving age is 17 in NJ. She’s currently driving a horse...that’s right 1 horsepower!! She rides equestrian and loves flying and jumping around a ring. When we practice her driving she’s learning on an 01 Infiniti I30t. Perfect size, easy to drive and lot of glass for visibility. That will be her car as she learns to be a better skilled driver. My daughter besides a horse has also ridden quads and jetskis. I’m not comfortable for kids in a C4. To quick of a car for their skills, one sits low and visibility isn’t the best. We all have our own opinions so it’s your choice. I have two boys, 19 and 21. My 19 yr Old has some of my traits and drives a 13 Boss 302 Mustang and he has an 07 Subaru WRX-STI ( bought with his own money). He’s very mechanical and although there’s been some issues with police occasionally ( dare I say he’s being profiled) he’s quite responsible. I just can’t see a 16yr old being the same.
So the jetski thing... that's either beneficial or detrimental depending on if you ride it like... well a jerkoff. I'm kidding of course but there are quite a few out there that are... granted I've been driving boats since I was three and most people on the water infuriate me in general...

Any way, the whole NJ driving license thing is one of the most ridiculous systems in general... like besides how the rest of the state is run sideways and upside right... Sounds like you've got a fairly good structure in place with them though. Again, just gotta do it.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

More cons than pros.

If you are going to be Daddy forever... do it. If not, this is a recipe for potential disaster. Hopefully it is not so she can drive a "corvette" and others think it was expensive.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Not a chance. Even if she's a "good" driver for her age, there is no experience and she will run into cornering and stopping curve ***** she won't know how to handle. I have yet to see a young person not bend at least one car.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:27 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Dont!
Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 PM
ericswild
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I was a straight A student at 16. 6 Lowenbrau later I was leaving the scene of an accident and had totaled my fathers 1970 Chevelle. Talk about a heartbroken father. I can only imagine how heartbroken my parents would have been if my live body never left that car.

My parents had no idea I drank at that age.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:14 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2LZ
Not a chance. Even if she's a "good" driver for her age, there is no experience and she will run into cornering and stopping curve ***** she won't know how to handle. I have yet to see a young person not bend at least one car.
I haven't... yet... Numerous close calls but that was by the doing of others mostly. There is a reason that the Pray for me I drive in _____ sticker is on the cars of drivers who don't belong to that specific sect... You'll find out real quick just how accurate the stated braking distance of your vehicle is there for sure... I've also had oil slicks on on ramps, stuck accelerator pedals, clutch loss and highway speed stalls just to name a few incidents that could have (and really should have) ended very differently than they did, especially the oil slick one, blind on ramp in the rain, I should have ended up around a tree and yet I somehow saved the truck and never left my lane. Luckily there were no other cars around to hit merging.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll go along with those that say this is not a good idea. Have you looked into what the insurance is going to be? Will she be listed on your policy or will she have her own insurance? Either way, it may cost a lot. Are you going to limit when and where she will drive the Corvette? Hopefully, she won't get talked into letting a boyfriend or somebody else getting behind the wheel and either getting stopped by police or may get into an accident. What kind of a driver is she now? Has she taken any driver;s school courses provided by local school districts? What does your state have for laws regarding drivers at her age? Here in WA, driver's under 18 are limited to what times of a day they can drive. And they can't have teen passengers, has to be an adult 18 and over.

While doing basic maintenance can be a neat father/daughter thing, what if she doesn't want to learn the basics; who pays for repair work that can'
t be done at home?

I would suggest that she gets a good dependable sedan like a Honda, Toyota or Subaru as a first car. Better gas mileage, easy to drive, and cheaper to insure. Also, make sure that she will not be on her cell phone when she is driving. Most states now have laws against using a hand-held device when in the car. Here in WA, you cannot even talk or text when stopped at a traffic light. Big cash penalties for a ticket.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:42 PM
TOM65 L76 96 LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't think a C4 would be a very good choice for a 16 year old girl or boy and I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to insure her on a Corvette, I do want to give her a "thumbs up" on her choice of the 95-96 dark purple color, 1049 came off the assembly line in 95 and 320 in 96 according to the Corvette Black Book, so 95's are not that hard to find and 96's are more difficult, pictured is my 96 roadster for her to look at, it is one of the 46 roadsters painted dark purple in 96, does that make it more valuable then any other 96 roadster, "NO" it's just a car not often seen, a few days ago there was another one of the 46 listed on Detroit Craigslist, regardless of when she gets her C4 tell her to hold out for that dark purple color, the 92-94 Black Rose is also a very nice color.

Last edited by TOM65 L76 96 LT1; 11-06-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 11-05-2018, 04:46 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

My first instinct was “not a good idea” . As I was reading all the comments I couldn’t help but to think back about my first car, a 1969 Cougar Eliminator with a 351 that had been cammed, headers, etc that really put the power down to the ground. When most of us ( I’m assuming) were 16 our cars were late 60s early 70s muscle and pony cars with the only safety equipment being maybe a lap belt and brakes ( some not even power disks but drums) lots of power and no ABS or traction control. I say if she is responsible in school and how she handles herself, that’s what she wants and you are good with it go for it. We have so few things left to bond with our kids over and this can be something else the 2 of you could share time with.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Unless she would let others drive it I wouldnt worry about it. If she had to make a sudden lane change that C4 will do it & keep control way before a passenger car would start sliding around.
You can always take her to an autocross day and let her really get a feel for it...first time she feels the car start to go and snap she ought to be fine from that point on.
Heavy rain shes gona have to take it a little slower on the fwy thats all.

Bottom line anything can happen in any car, they are either a responsible driver or not. My first ride was a modded 67 rs, small wonder Im still alive..but am. Wouldnt have driven a 4 cyl anything if it was free back then. You only live once!

Get notified of new replies

To Buying your 16 yo girl a C4?

Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Unless she would let others drive it I wouldnt worry about it.

Bottom line anything can happen in any car, they are either a responsible driver or not. My first ride was a modded 67 rs, small wonder Im still alive..but am. Wouldnt have driven a 4 cyl anything if it was free back then.

You only live once!
For that, it would be a zero tolerance condition. If someone is driving it instead of you, there had best be actual physical coercion involved and not just "My BFF or my BF wanted to take it around the block.".

I'll also add that if the other driver is irresponsible or careless or even if it is a freak accident, it can happen in any car.

If you got to go, any you have to at some point, might as well have a smile on your face while doing it.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

The only positive would be that at the most, only one passenger would be aboard to distract her;

everything else is a negative
Old 11-06-2018, 12:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
The only positive would be that at the most, only one passenger would be aboard to distract her;

everything else is a negative
Considering there are so many other distractions like the radio, phone, other people on the streets, etc, I think we are over weighting the passenger

Quick Reply: Buying your 16 yo girl a C4?