Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Disarm Security without PKE fob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:43 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Disarm Security without PKE fob?

1995 base coupe. It's at my buddy's shop right now and they had to disconnect the battery during their work. They finished the work and reconnected the battery but now the engine will not stay running. I did not leave them the PKE fob because it's a finicky system and they don't need to deal with that (car is stored inside service bay overnight). I turned off the security system before I left them the keys but it appears that the battery reconnect has re-armed the security system. Is this what's happening? Is there a way for them to disarm the security or do I have to bring them the PKE fob in order for them to test drive the car? TIA for any speedy replies.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Anyone, please?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

I have a 96. I never use the PKE fob. I arm the security by using the electric door lock before I close the driver door. I disarm the system by inserting the door key and turning right to unlock. Don't need fob. Dan

Last edited by Whaleman; 11-08-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

Note: I have disconnected the battery many times. Dan
Old 11-08-2018, 10:33 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

I haven't used the door key in years, but your reply refreshed my memory about it being another way to disarm the system. My memory is broken. Will pass the info on to my buddy. Thank you Dan! I love this forum!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
1995 base coupe. It's at my buddy's shop right now and they had to disconnect the battery during their work. They finished the work and reconnected the battery but now the engine will not stay running. I did not leave them the PKE fob because it's a finicky system and they don't need to deal with that (car is stored inside service bay overnight). I turned off the security system before I left them the keys but it appears that the battery reconnect has re-armed the security system. Is this what's happening? Is there a way for them to disarm the security or do I have to bring them the PKE fob in order for them to test drive the car? TIA for any speedy replies.
It has nothing to do with PKE (PKE is not an anti theft system, it does not turn off the engine). I would suspect the problem has something to do with the work they performed.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
I have a 96. I never use the PKE fob. I arm the security by using the electric door lock before I close the driver door. I disarm the system by inserting the door key and turning right to unlock. Don't need fob. Dan
Using the key to unlock the doors disables the alarm, the same way as using the PKE remote does. Neither has anything to do with keeping the engine from running. The pass-key system relates to the anti theft system that prevents the car from being driven (as opposed to setting off an alarm). If this system were being engaged it should prevent the starter from even turning over, not let the car start and then turn it off.

Last edited by markKlein; 11-09-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by markKlein
It has nothing to do with PKE (PKE is not an anti theft system, it does not turn off the engine). I would suspect the problem has something to do with the work they performed.
Originally Posted by markKlein
Using the key to unlock the doors disables the alarm, the same way as using the PKE remote does. Neither has anything to do with keeping the engine from running. The pass-key system relates to the anti theft system that prevents the car from being driven (as opposed to setting off an alarm). If this system were being engaged it should prevent the starter from even turning over, not let the car start and then turn it off.

The PKE FOB is not the issue here.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Turned off security system before you left it? PKE is a convenience and content alarm. Pass key vehicle anti theft. Is the there an additional alarm system?
Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

All stock, no additional alarm system. Problem was solved with a proper disarm using the door key... a fresh battery helped also.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you got it solved but the alarm system will not cause a running car to stop. It will prevent it from starting!

Get notified of new replies

To Disarm Security without PKE fob?

Quick Reply: Disarm Security without PKE fob?