C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I TELL the mechanic....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:31 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
The best you could hope for is the owner wont know what to do about it.
Not much they can do about it. Even in the case of a signed work order, estimates are estimates. Most agreements or modifications are verbal. The vehicle may not even be complete, because the second the customer doesn't honor his obligation, the work stops. (That one actually happened to someone I know very well.)

Generally speaking it is a dangerous area to tread. Just trying to help..

You guys do what you want. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:04 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
Not much they can do about it.

You guys do what you want. Good luck.

The force of law works in both directions, but yeah, each person needs to decide for themselves. For myself, I'll keep fighting the battles that need fighting, even when it's not obvious that I will win.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I still think a better mechanic is in order.. No decent person puts 1K onto a customer's bill without authorization, then just hands it to them and smiles. I mean, you can at least stop and call them.. Holy crap.

I don't care if they can get away with it.. I wouldn't patronize a place like that ever again.

Stuff like that is why so many trades have a bad reputation in the first place.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:18 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

At the minimum the mechanic should have replaced the orfice tube along with the compressor. I could justify saving the condenser, maybe; but the orfice tube should have been replaced, full stop, end of story.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:24 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Probably the accumulator also. That and the tube, with a full recovery, is usually the minimum required for a compressor manufacturer to honor the warranty.

At least around here.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:31 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Probably the accumulator also. That and the tube, with a full recovery, is usually the minimum required for a compressor manufacturer to honor the warranty.

At least around here.
Yeah I wouldnt disagree with that. On my own personal car I might try and get away without it, but i would make my final decision based on how much debris collected on the office tube.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:36 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Frankly, this story and variations on it are becoming so common, and the call outs for good vette mechanics is so frequent, I bet in many parts of the country there's a cottage industry right there.

Never have to touch anything else! Just vettes..

Probably charge a premium just because you only do vettes, if you do them right.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:40 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Frankly, this story and variations on it are becoming so common, and the call outs for good vette mechanics is so frequent, I bet in many parts of the country there's a cottage industry right there.

Never have to touch anything else! Just vettes..

Probably charge a premium just because you only do vettes, if you do them right.
Spend a few days over on the c7 forum. The Corvette world is screaming for competent people that specialize in these cars.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I agree.. I bet the newer ones are a much bigger headache (And headaches are profitable) because they carry so much tech onboard now. C4's are almost carb and points level stuff, by way of comparison.

I never see them here. It's an AG area and I'm the home town transmission shop. I see an endless line of trucks and suv's. One Vette ( besides mine) in the last 10 years. Bet a guy in Cincy proper or Florence could really clean up and make a lot of people happy in the process.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:51 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I'm in Houston. I looked at a shop for sale just this morning. I'm still on the fence about the whole thing though. Fixing cars is a very difficult way to genuinely get ahead.

Honestly its probably the most under paid profession there is, when you compare the complications and the physical labor, with the income.

Someday that is going to change, and when it does, I'm going to be there.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:55 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Good luck if you decide to jump.. It is challenging, but there's a lot of fringe benefits that come with self employment. Those can be incredibly valuable, depending on your situation.

It is odd that you would say that because I'm learning Day Trading! LAWL!!!!!

(Still a n00b, though.. )

Getting ready to fire up ThinkorSwim right now, actually, and run through Monday's picks!!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:57 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: Part of the attraction is, since I am self employed.. I can do it right here while I work.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:06 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Good luck if you decide to jump.. It is challenging, but there's a lot of fringe benefits that come with self employment. Those can be incredibly valuable, depending on your situation.

It is odd that you would say that because I'm learning Day Trading! LAWL!!!!!

(Still a n00b, though.. )

Getting ready to fire up ThinkorSwim right now, actually, and run through Monday's picks!!
I'm at the bar right now, when I get to my normal workstation I'll private message you .....
The following users liked this post:
confab (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:20 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The best bet is to get it as a quote as opposed to an estimate. Push them to say it is a quote not an estimate on the piece of paper and have them sign it. If the quote is not honored, it is breach of contract and will hold up in court. An estimate is just an estimate.

https://www.quora.com/Is-a-quotation-legally-binding

Now with that said, if it is a person you intend to do business with (or is truly a good person) don't eff em over if they miss on the quote. The guy that redid the transfer case on my 2500HD missed the amount by $100.00. He said he should have billed me X but honored his original amount.

I made him whole and gave him the extra. It IS good business to take care of people, you will get paid back in the end, whether from that person, or from someone else due to your reputation.

But that is the old fashioned way of doing business and the way I believe it should be done.

Last edited by drcook; 11-18-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

No reason to be outraged. Just find another mechanic if you can't do it yourself.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

hard enough to find a mechanic as old as my 85 let alone one that was actually working in 85......these cars pretty much need to be DIY.......(unless your filthy rich!!!)....
Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Unfortunately, this is common nowadays. The real problem is that the mechanic (or business owner) is making a decision on your behalf without asking you first, and continuing to work on your car based on their decision, not yours. A real professional would give you their opinion/suggestions, or the updated information, or whatever it is that has developed since you spoke last, and let you (as the customer and vehicle owner) make the decision, providing an updated estimate if needed. Pretty simple. I also would find another mechanic, or learn to work on your own car.
At least my mechanic called and told me that the old heater core was not leaking before be proceeded to install the new core.

Get notified of new replies

To I TELL the mechanic....

Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
I never ask for a quote , just fix the car the way I tell the shop to do. Gentlemen , am I wrong about this ????
I believe you should get it ALL, EVERYTHING,. in writing. It's the professional thing to do. If the mechanic is reputable and a professional, there will not be a problem with this. If there is, walk away. Don't leave it up to the mechanic what is to be done, or not done, to your car. Carry a shop manual for your car in hand as a visual aid that says your at least familiar with your car's mechanics and what you want accomplished... and that you're no stooge. Give to the mechanic a list of what you want done and get an estimate/quote. Add to the document/form that you wish to be notified before any changes are made, if there are any questions, or if any problems come up. Add to the document that you wish to have your old parts returned to you. I've seen professional estimates from reputable shops where there is a check box that addresses that option. Put it All in writing, so that there are no issues while the work is being done or when it is finished. Getting it All in writing says that you're serious about how you want your property to be treated. After a reasonable amount of a time (judgement call on your part) it's totally appropriate for you to follow up while the work is being done and ask how things are going. After all, it's your baby that's being operated on. If you have any worries, or something doesn't feel right about the mechanic, or if he's being somewhat difficult, or whatever... then walk away.

I have a great mechanic who comes out to my house to work on my car. I talk with him on the phone about what I'd like done. I'II give him a list of what I want done. He gives me an estimate. He does the work. Sometimes I'll think of something else I'd like done (always do). I'll talk to him about it. He usually says Ok. I check on things now and then. If any problems come up, he talks to me. He leaves me all my junk. When he's done I talk to him about the work and how things went, any advice he has for me for things to do next to the car, etc... Nothing gets done to my car without my permission. It's never come up about surprise changes to the bill because we communicate with each other. I've had to go to the auto parts store to get him stuff he needed. I paid for additional work, but I'm informed about things before the work is done.

It's your car. It's your responsibility to do the best you can, to ensure the job gets done to your satisfaction. Show that you're serious about how you and your car are treated. You need to communicate. In writing and verbally, before, during, and after the work is finished. Hands Down, It' the professional thing to do. Professional Business Procedures. Communicate. If he can't or doesn't want to... thank him for his time, and drive away.

John
Old 11-19-2018, 03:04 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Name of shop?

Seems like a budget place, or back yard to me. I have a hard time believing a name shop will turn down HOURS of extra labor and say "oh the fan shroud is a PITA". Definitely would get you more parts to if you wanted them.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:43 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

There are too many mechanics out there to keep going to a bad one. I rarely ever take my cars to the shop, but in the case that I do, I've found three mechanics that I absolutely trust to do it right or make it right if they don't Mechanics are human and they WILL make mistakes, but it is how they handle those mistakes that makes the difference.

Quick Reply: I TELL the mechanic....