C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Should we take a chance on this C4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018LadyInRed
We had her serviced...so she has been flushed, both tranny and cooling, oil changed and a couple of expected leaks fixed. Mechanic says she looks great, both the topside and the nether regions! Now we have to do the headlight motors and try to figure out why she doesn't "chirp" when you leave the key in and open the door. Also still trying to get the PKE system to completely recognize the fob. I have contacted the "fob fixer" and have her address. Maybe get the fob checked out, just to make sure it isn't the problem...anyhow, thanks again for all your thoughts on our new "baby". Even though it really is hubby's car, I do feel a connection to her. I did find out that there were only 1,437 Dark Red Metallic '95 corvettes made, so she is kinda special in her own way.
If you don't get an alert when you have the key in and open the door that could be PKE problem. The car needs to sense that the key is in for the procedure to work. See if you get the chirp with key in and door open if you hold the key in as far as possible. If so try the programming procedure and hold the key in when you turn it off. There are lots of other possible explanation for the PKE problem, if that doesn't work post a detailed step by step description of everything you do trying to program it and the results. Big question is, does the light flash when you turn the key off when trying to program?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:56 AM
2018LadyInRed
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I held the key in, opened the door-no chirp. I can go thru the programming steps, and all seems to go correctly. When we get to the PKE flashing and bring the fob to the car, PKE never goes solid. But when we take the key out, close the door and walk away, the car locks and the horn beeps. When you walk back, nothing happens...does not unlock and the buttons do not open the hatch or passenger door. So I think it is the fob. Hubby thinks it is the module. That means taking out the dash...
Old 12-11-2018, 12:12 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018LadyInRed
ok, I held the key in, opened the door-no chirp. I can go thru the programming steps, and all seems to go correctly. When we get to the PKE flashing and bring the fob to the car, PKE never goes solid. But when we take the key out, close the door and walk away, the car locks and the horn beeps. When you walk back, nothing happens...does not unlock and the buttons do not open the hatch or passenger door. So I think it is the fob. Hubby thinks it is the module. That means taking out the dash...
So the fob is already programmed. Sounds exactly like a weak or dead battery. If I remember correctly, the fob battery needs to be a solid 3.2 volts to be reliable you shouldn't need to reprogram when you change fob batteries. Or it could be a failure in the fob. Does anything happen if you stand outside by the drivers door (key out of ignition) and hold the "door" button down for 5 or 10 seconds? If you get the flashing light, there is about a 99% chance that the receiver/module is fine.

One more thing, check fuses 26, 40 and 42.

Last edited by markKlein; 12-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM
2018LadyInRed
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent the fob out today to the lady who repairs them. That way, it is one less thing to check. It has a brand new battery, but there may be something cracked that we can't see or fix. We checked the fuses you mentioned and they are all good. Let's hope it is the fob...

Quick Reply: Should we take a chance on this C4?