To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 12:39 PM
DanJordan222
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Hi Guys,

I had a 2002 C5 back in 2002, sold it in 2007 when I moved to Manhattan, because who needs a vette in NYC right? I have a chance to get back into the Corvette community. A family member who owes me some money has offered to "give" me his 1995 C4, I just have to pay the mechanic for repairs that have been done on the car which are said to be between $2500 and $3000. What he owes me isn't relevant, because I know I will never see any of it, apart from doing this deal. All I know about the car is that is a Hunter Green Coupe with a manual transmission. I still live in NYC, but I visit the south a few times a year. So, I would garage the car most of the year (I would have someone drive it on a few miles a month), and the 4 times a year I go south, I would drive the car rather than rent a car. Possible try to restore the things that need attention over time, but In no way expect this to be a collectible, though if kept in good running and cosmetic condition, I doubt it will go much lower in value. I know there are lots of unknowns about the car, but would love to get some feedback on what I should look for as far as issues in a 995 C4 and if you guys with experience think $3k is too much to gamble on a running C4.

Thanks,
D
Old 12-04-2018, 01:22 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

1995 is one of the best years for a C4 Corvette and most of the bugs were worked out by that time. The common issues are simply due to age, and include corroded grounds causing electrical issues, leaking heater cores, various clutch disk and clutch hydraulic issues (if manual), weather stripping leaks allowing water inside (perhaps mold/musty smell), radio antenna issues, headlamp motors/gears, rear wheel bearings can wear out and get sloppy, worn suspension and chassis bushings, brittle power steering hoses (high pressure line) can burst during prolonged spirited driving... these are not Corvette issues really, they are issues that happen with nearly all cars as they age.
Old tires can be a real problem so check the date codes and replace if necessary. Don't listen to anyone bashing the optispark, the vented units (1995-1996) are reliable if they are cared for. But if yours ever goes, be very careful about selecting a replacement... or just rebuild the original unit.
I think the answer to your value question ($3k too much?) depends on various factors... what kind of repairs were done, if they were done properly, the overall condition of the car, the options, any original documentation, any service history/documentation, and of course the odometer reading. I would have to see the car before saying if I think it's worth $3k.
Also, the metallic green color is called Polo Green, one of the best from that era.
I've owned two 1995 Corvettes and I love these cars. The only issues I had were heater core and clutch hydraulics.

Last edited by DGXR; 12-04-2018 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DanJordan222 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd ask if you are capable or doing any repairs yourself. If so, they are pretty reliable cars, like any old chevy. Issues like DGXR said are correct, but there can be a lot that can go wrong with any older car. Once in good condition, regular maintenance is essential, and you should have no major problems.

So.....how many miles on this baby?

I think the Green 6 speeds are the best combo, by the way. They're a pretty desirable combo, especially with the tan interior!

Last edited by cadmaniac; 12-04-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:03 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
I think the Green 6 speeds are the best combo, by the way. They're a pretty desirable combo, especially with the tan interior!
That was the color combo for my very first Corvette, the first 1995 (before my current Arctic White). Loved that car... RIP green machine.
Thanks for your reply
P.S. Dan Jordan, be sure to SAVE THE WAVE

Last edited by DGXR; 12-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I say get it. YOLO
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Buy it!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:17 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,285 Likes on 868 Posts

Why throw good money after bad. You have no idea on the condition of the rest of the car. Maybe if you took a quick trip to look at it and do a real inspection.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd just do it because cool, cheap toy.. But, to give you an objective answer: I dunno?

How far is "south" I mean, I just traveled 4K in mine without a hitch. But 90% of it is brand new. If the plan is to travel thousands of miles in a 23 year old car on a regular basis? You might end up frustrated. It is almost a quarter century old and issues will arise here and there. It happens.

OTOH, if you love Corvettes? The C4 is a pure joy to travel in. You have to adjust your luggage accordingly, but it is pure fun on the interstate. Totally comfortable and just a great experience overall.

I guess it depends on you and your priorities?

You could try it and then sell it if it doesn't work out At that price it is hard to get hurt.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 12-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would remove the car completely from the equation. You have a "friend" who owes you money who by the sound of it is looking to have you bail him out of another debt with his mechanic. No thanks.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:48 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Polo green, not hunter green

If it needs paint and interior, i'd pass.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:32 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

3k fir a running stick shift c4 ia a steal, even if it was the shittiest one ever. Depending on what needsfixed, you may never make money on it, but you're not going to buy one for less than that. If it's in anything better than "total pos" shape, you did really well.,
Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,285 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
3k fir a running stick shift c4 ia a steal, even if it was the shittiest one ever. Depending on what needsfixed, you may never make money on it, but you're not going to buy one for less than that. If it's in anything better than "total pos" shape, you did really well.,
I've got one for you then. Might need to post it up.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Having worked in NYC for a number of years back in the olden days, (Park Ave & 50th) my advice to you is to go to your friend and say "Yea, I'm considering it. Let's take it for a drive." Then you with your buddy get in the car start it up cold and then drive it up to Albany and back. That 200 mile run (with your friend in the car to answer questions as you drive along) will go a long way towards answering your questions about the "viability" of this particular car. If your friend balks at hopping in his 95 and taking it on a 200 mile run .... that will give you a good indication as to just what level of mechanical condition it is.

I agree with the others; 1995 is one of the best years for a C4 corvette and the Polo Green ones are really nice looking. I've owned mine for 14 years but it take a fair bit of continuous maintenance to keep it in reliable condition.

Get notified of new replies

To To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Quick Reply: To Buy Or Not To Buy...