C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

NCRS membership

Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
johno504
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19
Default NCRS membership

My membership is 43 years young. who on the forum has been a member of a Corvette club longer ?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:40 AM
johno504
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

I would have thought there were a few older goats than me in the herd.......
Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 PM
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011

2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Old 12-11-2018, 01:19 PM
bb62
CF Senior Member

37 years here, but my membership has been on and off.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:15 PM
johno504
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

OK , I'll lower the bar.... who on this forum has been a member of ANY Corvette club longer than 30 years , anything less IS childes play.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Bajaholic
CF Senior Member

Member since 1983
Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member

0 Years.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:07 PM
Bajaholic
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChumpVette View Post
0 Years.
I am guessing you have a pre-conceived notion of what you think you are missing, but if that is the case, I am assuming, you are incorrect... The knowledge, cromroderie and feeling of pride of it's members is enlightening, educational and rewarding.

Most of the members will never take a car to Top Flight, yet will be all in about learning about the history of the car and holding the respect of Factory correct as a goal for their cars. Yes there is those that will always go above and beyond, but you have that in every organization. Most of us are enthusiasts, just with a passion for the car including a level of originality and not just driving the wheels off them.

My suggestion: Don't make judgments until you have checked it out in person, You might just surprise yourself.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 AM
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bajaholic View Post
I am guessing you have a pre-conceived notion of what you think you are missing, but if that is the case, I am assuming, you are incorrect... The knowledge, cromroderie and feeling of pride of it's members is enlightening, educational and rewarding.

Most of the members will never take a car to Top Flight, yet will be all in about learning about the history of the car and holding the respect of Factory correct as a goal for their cars. Yes there is those that will always go above and beyond, but you have that in every organization. Most of us are enthusiasts, just with a passion for the car including a level of originality and not just driving the wheels off them.

My suggestion: Don't make judgments until you have checked it out in person, You might just surprise yourself.
Went to a couple of NCRS events. Bunch of old guys drinking their wine and socializing. Basically ignoring the fact that I had C4's and newer models. Wanted to make suggestions for corrections on the judging manual to correct errors for the new 90-91 judging when it was released. They didn't care to know the errors, only told me to join. I've heard it has gotten better with the reception of the C4's, but still an old guys club. I don't do the country club setting/golf club social hour. Then again, driving my car or racing is my enjoyment, instead of worrying if my car has the correct marking on a bolt head.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Bajaholic
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChumpVette View Post
Went to a couple of NCRS events. Bunch of old guys drinking their wine and socializing. Basically ignoring the fact that I had C4's and newer models. Wanted to make suggestions for corrections on the judging manual to correct errors for the new 90-91 judging when it was released. They didn't care to know the errors, only told me to join. I've heard it has gotten better with the reception of the C4's, but still an old guys club. I don't do the country club setting/golf club social hour. Then again, driving my car or racing is my enjoyment, instead of worrying if my car has the correct marking on a bolt head.
Sorry you had a less than positive experience. NCRS is a national organization with many chapters. You will not find the same group of people in every area. I am guessing since you stated you were a C4 person this was many years ago. since the cars have to be 20 years old and we are now into C5's.

To be fair, if someone I never met came up to me and started telling me all the issues that need to be resolved before I got to know them, their experience or background, I may too just look past them. UNFORTUNATELY there is MANY arm chair quarterbacks that walk around events spewing what they think they know. Seriously I do not know you at all, so you could be completely qualified to make those changes!!! All I ask is keep an open mind and check out a few other Chapters meetings and/or events. Yes at an Event, STRESS can be observed because people are having their cars judged and opinions of their hard work are being discussed. But outside of that, there is learning and camaraderie of a specific hobby. It can be social or detailed, it is just what you the attendee want to make of it.

Unfortunately, the Corvette group is aging and there has been lots of conversations of how to get you people involved. We look openly to those ideas. In the last few years, strides have been taken to new ideas, but the main premise must still exist, the history and restoration/preservation of Corvettes.

If driving is what you enjoy, Great! I just feel if you make a statement of 0 years just to make it, you are presenting something that may sound negative to those that have enjoyed the program for a number of years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bajaholic For This Useful Post:
ihatebarkingdogs (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 PM
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member

One aspect of NCRS participation, particularly as a judge, is that an individual is exposed to NUMEROUS Corvettes of the year(s) he's interested in. I like C4's, as that's what I bought new in 1985. A C4. For 20 years, I knew the 85 pretty well, but the only differences between the 85 and other years was what I observed by looking at other year C4s. Not much.

Since 2006 when I became active in NCRS, I've been exposed to, inspected, judged, and conducted Operation Checks, and Performance Verifications on literally a few hundred C4 corvettes of all 13 Model Years. I have a depth of experience with ALL iterations of "C4's" that by observation is unmatched by anyone else in the CF C4 Forum. I don't consider myself an expert, guru, or anything else. I don't care what people think of me or my experience on here or anywhere else. But. Within NCRS, I am respected and acknowledged as one of the Charter C4 Team members that helped write the books (mistakes and all), and that I know what I'm talking about when evaluating C4's under the NCRS Judging Standard. This "status" of respect among my peers with similar interests, is the result of a learning experience that has gone on for 14 years. I've enjoyed it.

NCRS is the best-kept secret in the collector car hobby. No one knows what we really do, how we do it, or what the individuals that participate derive from the experience. Mostly pre-conceived negative notions, and innuendo like you recited. You should try NCRS again. You'll learn something.

IHBD
NCRS Level 400 (mostly C4) Judge.

EDIT/ADD: I reread your post and saw "bunch of old folks drinking wine and socializing". You haven't BEEN on the judging field during judging, have you? There are 10 guys working their azzes off to fairly evaluate an owner's car to the Judging Standard to established standards of consistency and fairness, based on in many cases decades of experience with the particular model year. The judges freely exchange their knowledge with anyone that is interested. Each team (there are 5 teams) require about an hour per car to complete their area. There can be up to 8 cars in a Division. That's a full day of hard, intensive work. "Judging" is definitely "socializing", but there's no wine involved. (Sometimes there is whining though.).

Last edited by ihatebarkingdogs; 12-12-2018 at 01:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ihatebarkingdogs For This Useful Post:
Bajaholic (12-12-2018), j3studio (12-18-2018), johno504 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 PM
johno504
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

my NCRS membership number starts with 3 and is 4 digits

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NCRS membership

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: