C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New (to me) 4-Post Hoist

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:34 PM
joendoodle
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC1

Ha! That’s funny. That’s a long way to go for a winter nap... I like your jack tray. Looks like it’s really versatile.

Regards,
John
John:
The Comedy: The wife states we have 2 houses, each w/ a 2 car garage, you have a pole barn & my car sits out in the snow...
So the remedy, a lift, and both Vettes live in the pole barn for the winter...now there is room for the wife's car and our motorcycles to be "inside" this winter.

(the 4500# jack tray is in the front)

The jack tray:, is RJ-M Rolling Hydraulic Jack Manual
Manual Rolling hydraulic scissor jack (hand pump), this jack spreads out to 44" and raises 18".
Works for brakes on the F150 (et al) and lifting the rear of the C5 for the oil change.. among other uses..., quite handy.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by joendoodle

Arrived in upstate NY... new winter home for the C4.
Nice plate, wish I could still get the old logo for mine!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 AM
joendoodle
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plates => Bday present from Wifey a few years back
Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks great. If you don't mind sharing in more detail the process to move it I would appreciate it. I'll be moving mine in about 2 months to our new house. I've been searching for a company that would do it but haven't had any luck yet. I was wanting someone to come and disassemble it, move it, reassemble it and put new cables and fluid in it (kind of service it). Right now, it's looking like I may have to move it myself.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:29 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51
Looks great. If you don't mind sharing in more detail the process to move it I would appreciate it. I'll be moving mine in about 2 months to our new house. I've been searching for a company that would do it but haven't had any luck yet. I was wanting someone to come and disassemble it, move it, reassemble it and put new cables and fluid in it (kind of service it). Right now, it's looking like I may have to move it myself.

Your lift looks almost identical to mine. Moving it was WAY easier than I thought it would be. What you'll need:
- A utility trailer with enough capacity to carry the lift (mine weighed ~1600 lbs, and the trailer I used had a 2000 lb payload capacity). The trailer needs to be narrow enough to roll under the lifted platforms. The car trailers I checked were ~95" wide at the tires, while my lift is 92" wide between the posts. I ended up using a Tractor Supply 5-1/2' x 10' Utility trailer. The trailer had a rail around the top above the level of the fenders. I folded the wire mesh gate inwards onto the trailer bed to clear the hoist.
- Three 2 x 4 x 6ft pieces of lumber. I placed them across the trailer width-wise to protect it and to keep the platforms from sliding.
- Ratchet straps. At least 8 or 10.

Procedure:
- Raise the lift high enough to allow the trailer to roll underneath.
- Roll the trailer underneath, set the wood on top and center it up so you have some weight on the tongue (trailers tow much better that way...).
- lower the platforms down onto the trailer.
- You now need to raise up the four posts. This is where you use the ratchet straps around the top of the platform down to the holes near the bottom of the posts. You can either disconnect the cables (which I don't necessarily recommend), or 'lower the hydraulics slightly as you ratchet 'up' the posts, making sure the cables don't slip off the pulleys. This can be a bit tedious, but saves work when you're setting it back up. Since you have to re-level it when you set it up later, I guess it really isn't a big issue to disconnect the cables from the tops of the posts. Use your judgement. If you disconnect them, make sure you secure them well (duct tape).
- Strap the platforms down SECURELY to the trailer. Add and extra strap for safety's sake to each of the posts so they don't end up dragging down to road if one strap comes loose.

That's it, in a nutshell. If you want to PM me, I can call you and discuss it in more detail. I't easier than I make it sound...

Regards,
John

Old 12-17-2018, 04:57 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

That helps a lot. The part where I was struggling was with getting the post up. When I first tried to move the lift (on it's dollies) I thought I could just lower the lift and the post would come up. I had to use a cheater bar to push it up high enough off the ground to clear an about 2 inch lip in my shop. Never thought about using the ratchet straps like that. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:07 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51
That helps a lot. The part where I was struggling was with getting the post up. When I first tried to move the lift (on it's dollies) I thought I could just lower the lift and the post would come up. I had to use a cheater bar to push it up high enough off the ground to clear an about 2 inch lip in my shop. Never thought about using the ratchet straps like that. Thanks for sharing!
No problem. Just be really careful however you do it to make sure the cables don't get slack enough to come off any of the pulleys. You don't want to jam one up and damage the strands of the cable. Just take your time and get another set of eyes on it, if you can. Good Luck!

John

Quick Reply: New (to me) 4-Post Hoist