C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

carpets soaked when drive in rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 11:10 PM
doityourself
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carpets soaked when drive in rain

I can see cracks in fiberglass pan on the side haven't jacked it up hi enough to get completely under , any input ? I can do fiberglass work up side down is not my favorite
Old 12-09-2018, 11:45 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like you will need pull the carpet back so you can access both sides for a solid repair. Does sound like a bit of a PiTA working under the car though.

Since it's too cold to work outside I've been watching various repair vids on u-tube and there are a few that demonstrate various ways to repair cracked/damaged bumper covers. Though not the same material, I'm thinking the technique would be similar with a crack in the Vette fiberglass.

I used Bondo Hair to repair a torn section of the RF fender and to patch a hole in the driver's side door and it did a great job.

Best of luck with your repair job.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Your best bet, is to remove the carpet to dry out the carpet properly and then fix the problem.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Relatively easy fix

My 1991 had a broken floor pan at the front outer corner from careless jacking, before I bought the car. I jacked that side up, scraped off the undercoating around the area, cleaned it with lacquer thinner, and then put on several layers of fiberglass using the resin for SMC. It has held for several years with no problems. The picture shows after the repair, before undercoating it to make it blend in with the surrounding areas.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

My carpeting used to get wet all the time when it
rained so I just put the top up...

Does a C-4 body flex that much that the floor would crack?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
My 1991 had a broken floor pan at the front outer corner from careless jacking, before I bought the car. I jacked that side up, scraped off the undercoating around the area, cleaned it with lacquer thinner, and then put on several layers of fiberglass using the resin for SMC. It has held for several years with no problems. The picture shows after the repair, before undercoating it to make it blend in with the surrounding areas.
Did you need to scuff the area to improve adhesion? If so what grit did you use?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
My carpeting used to get wet all the time when it
rained so I just put the top up...

Does a C-4 body flex that much that the floor would crack?
It has nothing to do with flex. It just happens to look like a nice flat place to put a jack pad and it’s all too common for uninformed mechanics to try jacking there. Mine had a crack in the same place when I got it. Mine was really minor, so I just scuffed up the area and put a few coats of bondo glass over it to seal the crack. Then hit it with a couple coats of flat black paint and some undercoating and you’d never know it happened.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

JBP,
So your crack was just a weatherproofing and not structural?
I know what you mean about uninformed mechanics.
I always hover nearby whenever possible.
I do little things like take off the plastic lug nut caps so some
idiot doesn't put them back on with an impact wrench...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had water logged carpeting on the passenger side when I first got my coupe. I didn't have a cracked floorpan, my cowl drains were very clogged. My driver side had floorpan damage which repaired easily enough.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
JBP,
So your crack was just a weatherproofing and not structural?
I know what you mean about uninformed mechanics.
I always hover nearby whenever possible.
I do little things like take off the plastic lug nut caps so some
idiot doesn't put them back on with an impact wrench...
In my case it was more cosmetic than anything. It wasn’t enough to let an water in, and definitely not structural, but I still didn’t like seeing that crack whenever I got under the car. Maybe nobody else would ever see it, but damnit I knew it was there lol!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 AM
doityourself
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet carpet

Originally Posted by doityourself
I can see cracks in fiberglass pan on the side haven't jacked it up hi enough to get completely under , any input ? I can do fiberglass work up side down is not my favorite
thanks for the input , pull the carpet and fix both sides good idea nice patch photo thankyou
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

When I first got my 94' I barely scraped the floor pan on the driver side in a construction zone on the road. It knocked a half dollar size hole in the floor pan. I cleaned it up very well and smeared original JB weld over the hole. I let it sit for a day, sanded it, and painted it with duplicolor exact match torch red paint. It's been fine for the last 7 years with no water intrusion.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes you can do fiberglass upside down I did. I had the same thing you have both sides had been damaged by speed bumps. I did one layer from the bottom the two plus layers from the top. Clean your surfaces well then do a light grind with 80 grip. On the bottom i painted a coat of resin then put PRE-CUT strips into the resin. rolled the bubbles out with a saturated paint brush. That seals the floors then you can work from the top an not have resin drip everywhere.. Good luck it's not hard to do just a little messy. Any questions PM me.I have pictures if you'd like to see them PM me.

Last edited by 87bob; 12-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To carpets soaked when drive in rain

Quick Reply: carpets soaked when drive in rain