C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hot cam kit with or without headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Hot cam kit with or without headers

I'm planning to do some mods to my 95 6spd conv. 95k. not going to be a track car, and not doing big internal rebuild yet, but want to start the process. GM Hot Cam Kit seems to be a good starting point, then headers w/ cats (already have Magnaflow Cat Back). Many posts about stock LT1 exhaust being pretty good for stock. Would I be losing much doing just cam, and add headers when engine pulled for rebuild? I read about head flow, etc, but intake/head porting is for later rebuild.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Everything works off your budget. At 95k rebuild would be a little unusual. The more engine mods the larger the benefits of long tube headers. On a stock lt1 they are worth 15 hp or so. The PCM can deal with the Hot Cam with out custom tuning is a plus. I would only want to have engine apart once. So if you're a planning modified heads the Hot Cam was designed for LT4 top end. Lloyd Elliott and Eldebrock offer top end and cam packages. Although relitively expensive you might consider doing it all at once.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

I think headers should be your first performance mod. Every mod after that will continue to make more power due to them, and they're probably the best bang for the buck mod you can make.

i would do a headers and tune long before I did a cam no headers setup.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:34 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I would start with headers/exhaust before breaking into the engine to be frank
Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I'd for sure add the headers later on. By that, I mean like in the summer, or spring
Old 12-15-2018, 12:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just get it, do the rest when yo ucan. Cam will last forever makes good power for its size.
Not everyone has the coin to do it all at once.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Thanks for feedback from everyone. Leaning towards Hot Cam now, and ARH 1 3/4" headers w/cats and tune Spring/Summer due to budget. Don't have the space/time to do cam myself, but C&S Corvette (good reviews from my 'vette club) in Sarasota can handle the job. One place I called about said I didn't need LT4 valve springs w/ 1.6 rockers. I ran away fast.

Last edited by Charsel; 12-15-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Smart move. You definitely need those valve springs.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would offer this for your consideration:
Installing just long tube headers will not require a tune on your 95 LT1 BUT installing the Hot Cam Kit will require a tune to get the most benefit out of the cam.
The car may "run" without a retune but you're going to leave a lot on the table without it.

Thus, I would go the long tube route first ... then when you can afford the cam and the resulting retune you will already have the LT headers on the car.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Charsel
Instructor

I've read that LT require a tune. If I went LT , then Hot Cam wouldn't I need a tune after each installation? I've read the Hot Cam does not require a tune, so a tune after Hot Cam and headers seems more practical and less down time.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:15 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Charsel
I've read that LT require a tune. If I went LT , then Hot Cam wouldn't I need a tune after each installation? I've read the Hot Cam does not require a tune, so a tune after Hot Cam and headers seems more practical and less down time.
Technically you want a tune after both. Certainly the LTs are the mod less likely to need a retune provided you can maintain sensors and stuff. Newer cars usually need tunes after headers due to emissions, I may be wrong but I dont think your car will have that issue.

A cam is going to throw off the tune a lot more, as the valve durations are longer. It's far more likely to need a tune, though a hot cam ia only mildly different.

IMO if you're doing a cam you should get your heads done at the same time "while you're in there", and that definitely Italy needs a tune.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,275 Likes on 861 Posts

In all honesty you are just wasting money doing something now. If you are planning for a rebuild a little further down the line, I would wait and do everything at once. A lot of the camshaft swap would be redundant during a rebuild, and even the headers would be a wasted effort as they too would come off in a rebuild. If it was my car, I would hold off.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

To answer your original question, yes, there is plenty of performance to be had doing just the hot cam kit with stock heads and exhaust. I have the hotcam, valve springs and 1.6 rockers, and nothing else other than a tune and muffler deletes. Stock manifolds and cats still in place. It runs very strong. The way I see it, doing the cam first opens things up so future mods like headers will be that much more effective. 95k isn’t that many miles for an LT1 so if the engine is healthy I wouldn’t hesitate at all to throw a cam in it and not think about a rebuild any time soon.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by JBPC4
To answer your original question, yes, there is plenty of performance to be had doing just the hot cam kit with stock heads and exhaust. I have the hotcam, valve springs and 1.6 rockers, and nothing else other than a tune and muffler deletes. Stock manifolds and cats still in place. It runs very strong. The way I see it, doing the cam first opens things up so future mods like headers will be that much more effective. 95k isn’t that many miles for an LT1 so if the engine is healthy I wouldn’t hesitate at all to throw a cam in it and not think about a rebuild any time soon.
out of curiosity did you use stock pushrod light? I did and have had no issues, but I’ve heard others says they need a different length.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE

out of curiosity did you use stock pushrod light? I did and have had no issues, but I’ve heard others says they need a different length.
Same here, stock push rods.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Charsel
Thanks for feedback from everyone. Leaning towards Hot Cam now, and ARH 1 3/4" headers w/cats and tune Spring/Summer due to budget. Don't have the space/time to do cam myself, but C&S Corvette (good reviews from my 'vette club) in Sarasota can handle the job. One place I called about said I didn't need LT4 valve springs w/ 1.6 rockers. I ran away fast.
I'd start with the headers first and see what cam your tuner thinks will work. IF the Hot Cam will work without tunes, it probably is mild enough for the ECM to compensate FOR THE MOST PART. If you are going to dyno tune it, why hobble yourself? Might as well get what the tuner feels can work best with the headers and maybe intake and do the tuning all at once instead of trying to shoehorn something it that you might not be happy with in the future.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:06 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by JBPC4

Same here, stock push rods.
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Hot cam kit with or without headers

Old 12-21-2018, 06:59 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Default Headers

Yes by all means install headers first.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by vettespecial
Yes by all means install headers first.
I'd definitely do headers and then get a cam worthy of a dyno tune and time and effort to install. Skip the hotcam that might work OK, with the stock tune. If it is that close that it works, it is probably not the max you can get since that would require a tune. If you are going through all the work to install the cam, might as well get something really good and do a tune. Why hobble yourself?
Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
I'd definitely do headers and then get a cam worthy of a dyno tune and time and effort to install. Skip the hotcam that might work OK, with the stock tune. If it is that close that it works, it is probably not the max you can get since that would require a tune. If you are going through all the work to install the cam, might as well get something really good and do a tune. Why hobble yourself?
I could go either way. Just because I’ve got the cam but no headers on my car, I can definitely see the argument for going the other way first. Regarding the hotcam with no tune though, I don’t see how that would ever run well. Mine definitely needed a tune to run right, and it took a lot of tweaking to get the idle where I was happy with it. The “hotcam” kit that is marketed, while definitely not the most aggressive cam out there, is more aggressive than the stock LT4 cam and I wouldn’t personally recommend trying to run it without a tune.

Last edited by JBPC4; 12-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot cam kit with or without headers