C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

well boys and girls....i cleaned my wiring and all good. HAHAHAHA.

These lamps are freaking awesome. If you are unsure just go for them.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,432 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Nice! Glad theyre working out for you. Theyre really a great deal.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
well boys and girls....i cleaned my wiring and all good. HAHAHAHA.

These lamps are freaking awesome. If you are unsure just go for them.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I have decided i have one complaint, which isnt too bad i guess. I wish i could aim them a bit higher. Theyre maxed out in height adjuztment, i would go higher if i could. I might try to replace the adjustment screws with something longer...

Wanted to address this one complaint. Something must be up with your setup Fauee cause for me i have no trouble at all. Mine is an 86. Maybe there were different screw lengths?

I definitely have enough extra screw rto send mine way to high and illuminate the tops of the trees!
Old 01-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Bill Shepherd
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
NORMALLY: The actuator (coil) portion of the relay that normally controls the fog lights is powered through the fog light switch and is grounded through the high beam filament when the high beam lights are not used. But, when the high beam filament is powered through the high beam switched ON, BOTH sides of the fog light relay's coil are powered from the battery - effectively removing the ground for the fog light relay, causing the fog lights to turn OFF when switching on the HI beams.

Switching the stock headlights for LEDs upsets the normal intended operation of the fog light (relay). In order for the LEDs to work, there needs to be a substantial resistor inserted in series with the actual LED "chip" itself. The effective result is by inserting the LED circuit in place of the stock (bulb), the path to ground required by the fog light relay to work is essentially removed - long as the LEDs remain installed.

So, there are two solutions:

Re-route the fog light relay (coil) wire to another grounding location,

OR, install an additional by-passing (aka LOAD) resistor to simulate the current route of the original headlight filament to ground. (Note: The two stock HI beam filaments are in parallel, circuit-wise. Installing only one LOAD resistor at one headlight provides often provides sufficient path for enough current to flow through the fog light relay coil to activate the relay. You may only need to install ONE headlight LOAD relay and reduce the current load on the alternator accordingly.)

PROS N CONS:

Providing a separate ground for the fog light relay, by essentially intercepting and diverting the stock path to ground (the HI beam filament) to another ground point, changes the stock operation of the fog lights. Instead of the fog lights turning OFF when the HI beams are ON, the fog lights remain on whenever the dash (fog light) switch is turned ON. Check with local authority to shed some light on the legality of running the high beams AND simultaneously running with the fog lights ON as well.

Instead of routing the fog light relay, Installing the load resistors will not change the stock load on the alternator in any practical way, AND it will preserve the stock operation of the fog lights w/o permanently changing the stock wiring. However, the load resistors essentially reestablishes the stock current load. So, if reducing the load on the alternator (advantageous if using under-drive pulleys) was part of the reason for the LED installation, that advantage is voided.

Paul, was wondering if you had any further details on option 2? I am confident I could accomplish option 1 without issue at all, but I am interested to dig into option 2 a little bit...
Old 01-22-2020, 03:00 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Shepherd
Paul, was wondering if you had any further details on option 2? I am confident I could accomplish option 1 without issue at all, but I am interested to dig into option 2 a little bit...
I think you want these. They just plug in inline with the headlight harness.
The following users liked this post:
Bill Shepherd (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 PM
Bill Shepherd
Navigator

Originally Posted by turtle96
I think you want these. They just plug in inline with the headlight harness.
Have you used these? Just want to make sure they are indeed what I am looking for.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Have you used these? Just want to make sure they are indeed what I am looking for.
I have. Easy PnP operation.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I did the fog light mod. I like it a lot, I can now have my fog lights on with any of the lights, not just the low beams.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 AM
miles71
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What is the actual current per LED bulb?

The magic "Osram LED" headlights are advertised as "110W" LED Headlights.
We all know that Salesmen and Websites advertisers lie!

What are the Actual Current and wattage specifications for a single LED headlight?
Does the "W" actually mean "Measured wattage consumed at 13.x volts"
I have not been able to find a real specification sheet for these lights.

A real specification sheet will list, Voltage, Current/Amps and Wattage for Low and High.

Based on what I have read on this forum thread, there is an issue with the Fog-light ground wire which is attached to the High Beam ground.

If the High-beam is on, the voltage at the light Ground Pin will go up and cause the Fog-light relay to turn off.
Most of you running the LED lights do not see the Fog-lights shut off.
So the voltage present at the Headlight-LED ground pin must still be very low when the High beam is on?

To me this means the current being pulled by the LED lights is less than the current of the normal incandescent headlights,
The typical wattage of a Sylvania Halogen H6054 at 13.8 volts is about 35 watts.

Question:
What is the actual current being pulled by the Osram LED 5x7 Headlight (High and Low)?
What is the Input Voltage?

If the LED light is actually consuming 110 watts, then you should see values similar to:
Input Voltage = 13.8
Amps = 8
Approximate wattage 110.

Voltage Times Amps = Wattage.

Last edited by miles71; 01-23-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:54 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

It's been my experience that the wattage listed by led stuff like this is either a total lie, or a "as bright as an incandescent of this wattage".. If you go buy led bulbs for your house, that's how they rate them.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Bill Shepherd
Navigator

Originally Posted by aklim
I have. Easy PnP operation.
Thanks! I will order both...

Last edited by Bill Shepherd; 01-23-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 669 Likes on 437 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Can't wait til they start giving out citations for these things. Maybe the rest of us will be able to enjoy some night driving for a change of pace without excess worry about being blinded into a tree.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Bill Shepherd
Navigator

Originally Posted by Natty C
Can't wait til they start giving out citations for these things. Maybe the rest of us will be able to enjoy some night driving for a change of pace without excess worry about being blinded into a tree.
I love it when people feel the need to complain and express like they are better than everyone else. You sound old and grumpy

Last edited by Bill Shepherd; 01-23-2020 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
convas (01-29-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
im soooo stoked jb. i love driving ghe c4 at night with whole fighter jet and digital dash thing happening. Just never felt the headlights were up to par compared to the modern vehicles.
Not being up to par just means that you had no business driving at night if you couldn't see with normal headlights.

Whatever, though.

Have fun playing fighter pilot.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Only if you are an ******* to the cop or unless it is an off road headlight with twice the stated output. Doesn't stop you from dreaming.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Natty C
Drifting

I love it when people feel the need to complain and express like they are better than everyone else. You sound old and grumpy
Nobody said anything about being better than anyone else. You're the one blinding the hell out of people, so who thinks they're better than who here? Who is really the jerk here? Do you believe that other lives on the roadways are less important than yours? Clearly you must. Is everyone else supposed to just take their eyes away from trying to focus on the full path of the roadway when little Billy Shepherd drives by? Is that what you think?

Last edited by Natty C; 01-23-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New LED headlights

Old 01-23-2020, 07:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Not being up to par just means that you had no business driving at night if you couldn't see with normal headlights.

Whatever, though.

Have fun playing fighter pilot.
Or perhaps you can see better with the whiter light than yellow. I can see with either but I prefer white to yellow.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:39 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Ah well. Like I said. If people can't see with normal headlights, the probem is not the headlights. The problem is you. And you shouldn't be driving at night if that's the case. And certainly shouldn't be so reckless as to intentionally go out of your way to possibly endanger others just because you're handicapped. Or, in some cases (likely most cases), just wanna play fighter pilot or whatever.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Nobody said anything about being better than anyone else. You're the one blinding the hell out of people, so who thinks they're better than who here? Who is really the jerk here? Do you believe that other lives on the roadways are less important than yours? Clearly you must. Is everyone else supposed to just take their eyes away from trying to focus on the full path of the roadway when little Billy Shepherd drives by? Is that what you think?
To put it bluntly, as is my habit, if it comes down to my seeing better and not hit the tree or you, no contest.

Quick Reply: New LED headlights