C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The $500 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

On my $650 neglected car, and 86, one calliper was rusted and needed to be replaced. It was the piston bore that had rested. The other three needed a good purging

On cars like this everything needs to be checked!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 AM
Steven_Belgium
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That is a lot of car for just 500$ ����
Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

congrats on the super deal man, i also purchased a 91 for 500 bucks. i just got it in November of last year and its been sitting in the cold garage since i brought it home. can't wait for spring to come this year.. i might have more of a project on my hands than what you do though. the car had an engine fire and they have it hacked up with a carb and old style intake, many problems i have found within just a few hours of snooping so far, but its a zf 6 speed with dana 44 3.45 gears. Brand new convertible top the guy had installed and never even took the top down the entire time he owned it all black leather interior in really good shape for being 28 years old. i will be watching your posts here to see where you are going with your 500 dollar vette . nice tire smokeage btw
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz

congrats on the super deal man, i also purchased a 91 for 500 bucks. i just got it in November of last year and its been sitting in the cold garage since i brought it home. can't wait for spring to come this year.. i might have more of a project on my hands than what you do though. the car had an engine fire and they have it hacked up with a carb and old style intake, many problems i have found within just a few hours of snooping so far, but its a zf 6 speed with dana 44 3.45 gears. Brand new convertible top the guy had installed and never even took the top down the entire time he owned it all black leather interior in really good shape for being 28 years old. i will be watching your posts here to see where you are going with your 500 dollar vette . nice tire smokeage btw
You could take that luggage rack off and probably sell it for what you paid for the car! Used or nos, those things are hard as hens teeth to find. Good luck with the resto.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 PM
bud40oz
Racer

really? i was just sitting here thinking how much i dislike that luggage rack, lol i would gladly trade that for a shiny new barry grant carb fund
Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I like the Cray wheels and thinking strongly on putting them on mine. What size are they and size tires? Mine is an 86 as well. Where did you find them?

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 02-20-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Pygmy_116
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also purchased a 91 for 500 bucks. i just got it in November of last year and its been sitting in the cold garage since i brought it home.
Neato! Looks like a fun project!

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I like the Cray wheels and thinking strongly on putting them on mine. What size are they and size tires? Mine is an 86 as well. Where did you find them?
I believe 18inch is the smallest size. The cray website should give you all the info about the wheels. I recommend searching eBay if you want to get accurate pricing.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

really? i was just sitting here thinking how much i dislike that luggage rack, lol i would gladly trade that for a shiny new barry grant carb fund
If you lose the rack, you have a whole lotta holes to fill. I got one on my 93 Ruby and was offered $750 for it at Carlisle last Summer. Nope, I’m keeping it!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 AM
GravyGraves
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do want to sell,that luggage rack?
Old 06-11-2019, 04:17 PM
bud40oz
Racer

i think i will leave it as is, it's grown on me,plus i was doing some reading and from what i can tell, that option was only installed on like 195 cars made in 91, so some day that ugly rack i didn't like... just might make my car ultra rare and valuable, considering the car is already 28 years old, there is a good chance half of those cars have already been destroyed... that day may come sooner than later
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

It would be nice if we got the back story on the whole $500 deal.. Must have been family or a good buddy.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 PM
bud40oz
Racer

in my case, i cant say for the other guy... but... this car had a fuel rail leak and caught on fire, it has very minor fire damage but the stock tuned port injection system was burned pretty bad and he paid his buddy to "fix" it. his fix was remove all the tuned port. put an edelbrock torker 2 intake and carb with hei distributor on, for soem reason... he cut a hole in the hood, then could not get it running properly. as this was originally a show car that the guy i bought it from used to drive all over lower michigan with his wife and go to car shows, the car was ruined for him... probably more down the lines of making his sick to his stomach to even see it in his garage.... his exact words when i bought it were" i don't have the means or knowledge to fix it myself and it costs me 100 bucks just to get someone over here to do anything at all. i will go buy another one for 10 grand that i can drive to a car show. it was a friend of a friend deal. and i jumped on that sucker... had it running in half an hour and keep picking away at little things wrong every weekend. i am very much enjoying this car as a first time corvette owner. sure it needs little things done here n there but it runs pretty strong as is now. some day i will pull the engine and go through it properly and give it some "real" power. car has 120 k on it with everything original except for the short throw shifter i installed. and the alpine stereo i am about to install, the bose is all there but one speaker doesnt work.. and honestly 30 year old bose speakers don't have much on brand new polks. but this is my project c4 and i am loving it. car is a lot of fun to drive with the 6 speed 3.45 gears posi. put that top down n the women are waving within a block or 2.... PS.... i ahve 1700 in it as it sits with a new windshield.. for 300 bucks, the rims on it now.. for 500 bucks, i also have the stock rims n tires , i bought a holly fuel pressure regulator that cost me 130 bucks, not installed yet as i cant find a good place for it.. umm lets see... misc money for detailing the interior which had some mildew from sitting in his garage for 3 years... but clean now.. you know nickle n dime stuff.. total into it is 1700 or so though. still loving it. i'm sure i will have 6 or 7 grand into it within a year or 2 after i go through the engine enough to make like 450 hp to the tires.. **** he told me he paid 2000 dollars for the brand new top alone and never even took it down.. so i figure i paid for a new top and got the car for free right

Last edited by bud40oz; 06-11-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: The $500 Corvette