C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car cranks but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 PM
jcooperman59
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a good machine shop that can do great job in a reasonable time frame. I've always wanted a 383 but this car has more than enough horsepower. Honestly I don't need to go faster in this car. The LT1 however is a costly rebuild.

I also have a complete 350 sitting in my garage that has under 25k miles on it that came out of a wrecked third generation camaro. If I could find a way to replace the computer, wire harness and a way to make the engine work with the 4l60-E transmission. It would be a much less costly alternative.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm confused.... If the engine is from a LT1 Camaro, wouldn't it be a simple swap, and use your existing transmission if it doesn't match? Or is it an LS1?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM
jcooperman59
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

It is not an LT1 and I don't think they made the LS1 before 97? The Camaro it came out of was a 1990 and had a 700r4 not a 4l60e. If I use this engine I'll have to swap the transmission as well. The recommendations I keep getting is to swap the LT1 with an LS1, which is apparently easier to work on. And from what I've seen on this forum a relatively common swap. Looks like my choice is to rebuild the LT1 or swap it with an LS1.

For the LS1 swap, I'd need a LS1 engine, engine mounts, torque converter and new computer. For the price I can get a decent LS1 and computer cheaper than rebuilding the LT1.

If I keep the LT1 my plan is, have the machine shop rebuild. replace all sensors and sending units since they are in difficult to reach places. It might be better to replace them while the engine is out. Check, test and fix all wiring.

One issue that I have noticed as I work on removing the engine, a lot of the wires are spliced and looking ragged. Is there some where I can buy a replacement wire harness? I've seen LS1 harnesses from painless but not the LT1 harness.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:24 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't think you could swap an LS engine cheaper than rebuilding the LT1. There are so many variables and expenses you are not considering. Here's a few.
A good low mileage engine (I'd get na LS3)
Motor mounts
Headers or exhaust that will fit
Pulleys and accessories configuration
Oil pan
Engine wiring
Intake manifold depending on the engine you get.

Even if you get a complete pullout, there will be many issues. Also you had better check if you can actually use you original transmission.

I thought about doing this swap a while back, and it was cost prohibitive. Unless you WANT an LS. Then nothing else will make you happy. If you just want to get your car running and driving, I'd repair the old one.

Also, The connectors you are looking for are called "pigtails". You can get most of them pretty easily on ebay or rock auto.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
jcooperman59 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM
jcooperman59
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess I just don't like the optispark and where it's located. I've seen several write ups on the LS1 swap. But the more I research it the more I agree that it might be cost prohibitive.

The wiring problem is that I've found wires that are spliced together along the fuel rails. Several look burnt and the insulation is cracking. Once the engine is out I can go through and replace the bad sections of wire and solder the wires together instead of the way they are twisted together with black tape. I'll order as many of the pigtails as I can find and replace them. I was hoping to get a complete engine wire harness and start new but they don't seem to have one for the LT1. At least not one I could find.

The car is a mess. I'm finding parts held on with odd bolts.Such as the computer was screwed down with drywall screws. It's probably a good thing I'm pulling the engine if for no other reason then to fix all the Rube Goldberg repairs a previous owner did.

Thanks for the advice. LT1 rebuild it is.

Quick Reply: Car cranks but won't start.