Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Corvette Not Starting Issue Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Skwisgaar
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 Corvette Not Starting Issue Please Help!!

Hello everyone i own a 1995 c4 corvette with only 90k miles on it and it has recently been having really bad problems with starting. Even if i just turn it off to get gas its probably not going to start up again. When trying to start it, it jut makes one click, then nothing. I know its not the battery because when it finally does turn over its just fine, ive also had the battery tested. Everytime it happens i blame the vats system but im not sure if thats correct or not, ive cleaned the key and still does not work any better. Im not sure if i need to invest into putting a vats bypass in yet or if it cold be just the starter itself that is bad. Here is a video on youtube of someone i found that has the exact same year corvette as mine (1995) and is doing the exact same thing mine is doing when trying to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The following users liked this post:
VADvette (07-25-2020)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:16 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

The fact you're hearing a click makes me think it's not vats. Every time I've had something like that it's been electrical. I'd clean start with cleaning up every electrical connection and have the battery properly tested. Next would be look into the starter and it's solenoid.
That's where I'd start if it was mine.
VADvette (07-25-2020)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I’ve had a battery tested “good” at one parts store, drove to the next parts store, and the battery tested “bad”. ( I needed a new battery). You might need a second opinion on your battery. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Yeah, (as above) you need to start with the battery. That is the first chain in your link.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 AM
TravisSchoech
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwisgaar
Hello everyone i own a 1995 c4 corvette with only 90k miles on it and it has recently been having really bad problems with starting. Even if i just turn it off to get gas its probably not going to start up again. When trying to start it, it jut makes one click, then nothing. I know its not the battery because when it finally does turn over its just fine, ive also had the battery tested. Everytime it happens i blame the vats system but im not sure if thats correct or not, ive cleaned the key and still does not work any better. Im not sure if i need to invest into putting a vats bypass in yet or if it cold be just the starter itself that is bad. Here is a video on youtube of someone i found that has the exact same year corvette as mine (1995) and is doing the exact same thing mine is doing when trying to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpv5lq3Yvs

you can watch the battery voltage remain steady even when you attempt to crank the car and hear the thump of the solenoid/bendix.

I'll bet you a cold beer that the starter is dead, due to worn out brushes/stator.

Is the car a standard trans? If so, I've had luck ejecting the bendix by trying to crank the car and then have someone push the car while in gear. Sometimes that will find a fresh spot on the stator for the brushes to bite.

My money is on a dead starter. Fortunately starter's are not too terribly expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by TravisSchoech:
Skwisgaar (01-06-2019), VADvette (07-25-2020)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Turbojim69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time bang the starter with a hammer or something it will start ...the starter has bad spots on it when a battery gets tested They put a load on it the load depends on the cca of the battery the voltage drops to 10.5 it's good 9.5 it's weak some stores have different standards.this doesn't mean it's bad it means it is getting weaker. A shorted battery will not produce any voltage to speak of nor will it ever start the car. It's always a good place to start but it's iether gonna be the starter or a bad connection to the battery, starter,or ground.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:08 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpv5lq3Yvs

It's so cool how everyone blames VATS for everything including bad weather. The obvious solution is to buy the kit, install it and you have sunny days all year long. If it even clicks, it isn't VATS. Replace it with a bypass all you want and it probably still clicks.

If it were mine, the next test I do would be to take the starter out and bring it to a rebuild shop. I had a starter that would test out 50% at Autozone. 2 times it works, 2 it didn't. So if you test it one time, you might be lucky and it starts so you declare it good. The rebuild shop will be able to tear it down and see exactly if it is 1 bad spot or more.
Skwisgaar (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:27 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Far and away from considering this first. There is a TSB out on a short run of 95's with a CCM that can develop and cause an intermittent no crank (not no start) but should crank on second of third try without problems. But again, it about 1 in 2500 odds. It should have shown up long before now. I am betting on corrosion on battery or cable to starter. IF YOU REPLACE YOU STARTER, I would like to bu the core.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

Originally Posted by TravisSchoech
you can watch the battery voltage remain steady even when you attempt to crank the car and hear the thump of the solenoid/bendix.

I'll bet you a cold beer that the starter is dead, due to worn out brushes/stator.

Is the car a standard trans? If so, I've had luck ejecting the bendix by trying to crank the car and then have someone push the car while in gear. Sometimes that will find a fresh spot on the stator for the brushes to bite.

My money is on a dead starter. Fortunately starter's are not too terribly expensive.

Heat kills the starter on Corvettes. If it starts after it cools off for 30 min. or so you need a starter.
Most over the counter rebuilt starters are junk. Have your's rebuilt if you can.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I would check the connections on the starter to make sure they are clean and tight. There are two, a 12V constant supply cable and a 12V switched power wire for the solenoid. Next, I would make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight and ensure they are not stripped. Stripped threads on a battery can cause a lot of odd issues as full power is not being delivered to the car. Let us know what you find!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Skwisgaar
6th Gear

Hello everyone and thank you so much for all the great suggestions! I haven't had a chance to really work on the car and it probably going to be next weekend when i can so i will be sure to let you all know what i find out and what ended up being the fix!

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Hello everyone and thank you so much for all the great suggestions! I haven't had a chance to really work on the car and it probably going to be next weekend when i can so i will be sure to let you all know what i find out and what ended up being the fix!

Thank you.
That single "click" from the video sounds like the (starter) solenoid engaging to me, but the starter motor isn't turning. Typically with a weak battery you'll hear multiple clicks in rapid succession. I would clean up all connections from battery to starter, try it again. If same, pull starter and take it to be tested.
VADvette (07-25-2020)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Skwisgaar
6th Gear

Hello everyone and thank you all for your awesome suggestions. I ended up taking the starter out and it tested bad so I had it rebuilt and boom starts up everytime just fine! Can't believe this whole time I was blaming vats lol. Once again thank you to everyone for your replies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skwisgaar:
DINO84 (07-26-2020), VADvette (07-25-2020)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Can't believe this whole time I was blaming vats lol.
Don't worry about it. Everyone blames VATS for everything to the point that they make kits so you don't get stuck by preemptively deleting VATS. Maybe next we should delete the motor just in case it breaks down
Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved. These cars aren't rocket science and are still very basic machines with a few nice twists.
VADvette (07-25-2020)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 PM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Oddly enough my son called me with a no start on his 93. He said he thought it was the starter. But when I asked him if it clicks he said no. And I just replaced his battery a month ago. Fortunately I asked him if his security light was flashing when he had the ignition on and it was. He had tried to start the Vette in a hurry and didn’t have his key all the way in and tripped his VATTS. After waiting 15 minutes it started right up. I told him to get a new key and write down the chip number. If the problem continues, we can either replace the ignition cylinder or bypass the VATTS all together. Yes, VATTS seems to have a bad reputation but Personally I’d rather keep it working as it is Anti-theft after all. But if it becomes too problematic then we will have to bypass it. I think now that he’s aware of how it works, he won’t have many more issues. L
Old 01-19-2019, 06:27 AM
turbobuick33
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Who sells the VATS kit?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Corvette Not Starting Issue Please Help!!

Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gunho
Oddly enough my son called me with a no start on his 93. He said he thought it was the starter. But when I asked him if it clicks he said no. And I just replaced his battery a month ago. Fortunately I asked him if his security light was flashing when he had the ignition on and it was. He had tried to start the Vette in a hurry and didn’t have his key all the way in and tripped his VATTS. After waiting 15 minutes it started right up. I told him to get a new key and write down the chip number. If the problem continues, we can either replace the ignition cylinder or bypass the VATTS all together. Yes, VATTS seems to have a bad reputation but Personally I’d rather keep it working as it is Anti-theft after all. But if it becomes too problematic then we will have to bypass it. I think now that he’s aware of how it works, he won’t have many more issues. L
Sure, I'd fix it unless the cost is prohibitive. I'd rather write it out of the program instead of relying on some hack job to fool the system.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:07 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have had experience the same problem with my starter, it called heat sink, and when the starter cools down everything is normal.

I would recommend, wrapping the starter, so it doesn't have happen again.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:21 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I have had experience the same problem with my starter, it called heat sink, and when the starter cools down everything is normal.

I would recommend, wrapping the starter, so it doesn't have happen again.
I'd recommend getting a better starter altogether

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette Not Starting Issue Please Help!!